• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
IDA remnants OBS-nowcasts (storm total rain and/or unusual flooding, wind damage-power outage, gusts ~45+ MPH) Wed-Thu morning Sept 1-2, 2021

wdrag

17 minutes ago, psv88 said:

My friend works in management for the LIRR and said they had no warning the floods were coming...the meteorologists, and the models, were highlighting the potential for devastating flooding for days. To blame the met community is criminal. The reality is nothing really could have been done because our infrastructure is 150 years old and we would rather spend $5 trillion to rebuild other countries when dozens die here in part due to poor infrastructure. 

This country needs to invest trillions to prepare for what is coming with CC. Sadly many more will die before action is taken.

Agree-if a bunch of mets and hobbyists on a message board knew it was coming so should emergency mgmt and mayors etc....

• Like 5

2 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Some scenes from the aftermath of the flood in Mamaroneck. The air hangs thick with the smell of oil and gas. There are rancid odors of decaying material and rotting food in may parts of the flood-stricken area. If one looks at the last shot, one sees a chair caught high in the vegation with the muddy waters of the Sheldrake River down below in the right lower portion of the photo. The chair is approximately 15 feet above the river. The ice machine resting near a marked parking spot was swept nearly one-third of a mile to its resting place.

Many people have had their lives altered by this event. Businesses ranging from Bilotta (kitchen and cabinet store) to a gym that had to dispose of its treadmills were adversely impacted. Bilotta suffered a total loss of inventory (as occurred during the April 2007 flood), but this flood encompassed a larger area with the waters rising much more rapidly. Outside of Mamaroneck in Harrison, there was an ongoing search for a missing vehicle that was reportedly swept into the adjacent reservoir during the height of the storm.

Taking damage photos is among the worst aspects of storm photography. It is also part of the story. The human story behind the images is far more important than the actual images. That aspect should not be lost.

image.png.5d73df6bb35a293b45f5e083c82a0734.png

image.png.554414fa28615135d8e793ebcd2d2219.png

image.png.7c140eaa5a6e9590c1f84e15217fae92.png

image.png.96487e88c7d5e16a2b56437c0a8353fd.png

image.png.6ff5044c99e086ad2e2ab65fab890593.png

image.png.3d77c6528df4226451867a5375eec426.png

image.png.e4a2fc80eb937cdecdfaf62fdd798d47.png

image.png.4a3cc8fc7b575d5054c13a41e83889e7.png

My kid has a soccer game at Manhattanville College tomorrow and I was thinking of stopping at Half Time in Mamaroneck on the way home and I saw the building is still flooded and indefinitely closed. DeCicco’s in Larchmont has been closed since the storm too. Crazy. The picture the store put on it’s IG page is nuts. 

• Like 2

Just back to Smithtown after guiding in the Adirondacks this week.  Not a drop of rain up there.  4.20" rain in the bucket here.  I left Tuesday morning having followed the NWS and some other forecasts and knowing full well that I was going to miss an epic/historic rain event.  Anyone who says the NWS didn't warn about this is either evil or stupid, and in the case of certain politicians, probably both.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Some scenes from the aftermath of the flood in Mamaroneck. The air hangs thick with the smell of oil and gas. There are rancid odors of decaying material and rotting food in may parts of the flood-stricken area. If one looks at the last shot, one sees a chair caught high in the vegation with the muddy waters of the Sheldrake River down below in the right lower portion of the photo. The chair is approximately 15 feet above the river. The ice machine resting near a marked parking spot was swept nearly one-third of a mile to its resting place.

Many people have had their lives altered by this event. Businesses ranging from Bilotta (kitchen and cabinet store) to a gym that had to dispose of its treadmills were adversely impacted. Bilotta suffered a total loss of inventory (as occurred during the April 2007 flood), but this flood encompassed a larger area with the waters rising much more rapidly. Outside of Mamaroneck in Harrison, there was an ongoing search for a missing vehicle that was reportedly swept into the adjacent reservoir during the height of the storm.

Taking damage photos is among the worst aspects of storm photography. It is also part of the story. The human story behind the images is far more important than the actual images. That aspect should not be lost.

image.png.5d73df6bb35a293b45f5e083c82a0734.png

image.png.554414fa28615135d8e793ebcd2d2219.png

image.png.7c140eaa5a6e9590c1f84e15217fae92.png

image.png.96487e88c7d5e16a2b56437c0a8353fd.png

image.png.6ff5044c99e086ad2e2ab65fab890593.png

image.png.3d77c6528df4226451867a5375eec426.png

image.png.e4a2fc80eb937cdecdfaf62fdd798d47.png

image.png.4a3cc8fc7b575d5054c13a41e83889e7.png

Don, these explosive fires being caused by water pressure on gas lines is another terrifying twist to this situation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, psv88 said:

My friend works in management for the LIRR and said they had no warning the floods were coming...the meteorologists, and the models, were highlighting the potential for devastating flooding for days. To blame the met community is criminal. The reality is nothing really could have been done because our infrastructure is 150 years old and we would rather spend $5 trillion to rebuild other countries when dozens die here in part due to poor infrastructure. 

This country needs to invest trillions to prepare for what is coming with CC. Sadly many more will die before action is taken.

Here's what needs to be done.....I believe Don mentioned this also..... FORCE the billionaire fossil fuel cartels to foot the bill for infrastructure and climate change catastrophes.  We're already doing it with lawsuits but it needs to be codified into law so they realize what the cost of wrecking the environment is.  Once the cost of doing business becomes too much, see ya, don't let the door hit them on their fat methane filled asses on the way out the door....

4 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Here's what needs to be done.....I believe Don mentioned this also..... FORCE the billionaire fossil fuel cartels to foot the bill for infrastructure and climate change catastrophes.  We're already doing it with lawsuits but it needs to be codified into law so they realize what the cost of wrecking the environment is.  Once the cost of doing business becomes too much, see ya, don't let the door hit them on their fat methane filled asses on the way out the door....

An IMF working paper estimated that after-tax externalities from the fossil fuel industry come to more than $640 billion each year in the United States. Society bears the burden of those costs. Put another way, this industry is the tobacco-asbestos-opioids industries on steroids without any of the liability for its harm. This is the ultimate “free rider” problem and it severely distorts market function. If the industry paid even 20% of the costs of its externalities to fund mitigation, adaptation, and disaster recovery, the energy industry would look very different. These companies, being self- interested and seeking profits, would have led the way to cleaner energy, as business-as-usual would have become largely or wholly unprofitable.

• Thanks 1

Great write up from the Northeast Regional Climate Center.

http://www.nrcc.cornell.edu/services/blog/2021/09/03/index.html

Tropical Depression Ida dropped catastrophic amounts of rain on parts of the Northeast on September 1. A swath of the region stretching from eastern Pennsylvania and northern/central New Jersey through the New York City metro area and into southern New England saw rainfall totals of more than 6 inches. In fact, a corridor of 8- to 11-inch rainfall totals were found in southeastern Pennsylvania, northern/central New Jersey, and the New York City area. Newark, NJ, saw 8.41 inches of rain, making it the site’s all-time wettest day on record and already making September 2021 the site’s fourth wettest September on record. LaGuardia Airport, NY, also recorded its all-time wettest day with 6.80 inches of rain. Meanwhile, Bridgeport, CT, which saw 5.77 inches of rain, experienced its wettest September day.

http://www.nrcc.cornell.edu/services/blog/2021/09/03/20210903_daily_rain_ranks.png

Newark, NJ, and LaGuardia Airport, NY, had their all-time wettest day on record, while Bridgeport, CT, saw its wettest September day.

Rain fell at a rate of 3 to 5 inches per hour in some locations, with the bulk of the daily rainfall accumulating within a six-hour period in most areas. Newark, NJ, recorded its all-time wettest hour on record, seeing 3.24 inches of rain between 8 and 9 pm. The site’s one-hour rainfall, two-hour rainfall total of 5.06 inches, and six-hour total of 7.88 inches all qualified as 500-year storm events, meaning they have a 0.2% chance of happening in a given year. Similarly, Central Park, NY, had its all-time wettest hour on record with 3.15 inches of rain from 9 to 10 pm. That record had just been set less than two weeks prior from Tropical Storm Henri. Central Park’s two-hour rainfall of 4.65 inches and six-hour total of 6.63 inches also both qualified as 500-year storm events.

http://www.nrcc.cornell.edu/services/blog/2021/09/03/20210903_brandywine_chadds_ford.png

Several waterways reached their all-time highest water levels on record, including the Brandywine Creek at Chadds Ford, PA.

Many of these locations had just seen excessive rainfall from tropical systems Fred and Henri a few weeks prior. With saturated soils, waterways already running high, and the deluge from Ida, dozens of streamgages reached major flood stage, a water level high enough that “extensive inundation of structures and roads” and “significant evacuations” are possible.

In fact, water levels reached historic levels at several long-term sites. For example, Brandywine Creek at Chadds Ford, PA, which has records to the early 1900s, reached 21.04 feet, approaching the operational limit of the gage and beating the previous record of 17.15 feet from September 17, 1999. Similarly, the Raritan River at Manville, NJ, which also has records back to the early 1900s, reached a new record high water level of 27.66 feet. In addition, several more long-term sites reached near-record water levels. The Schuylkill River at Philadelphia, PA, reached 16.35 feet, its second highest crest on record and just below the all-time highest water level of 17.0 feet set back on October 4, 1869.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Emergency response measures to inform the public should not rely solely on media, the internet, for weather-related emergencies. If community-based sirens were utilized in a flash flood emergency, it would be hard to ignore or misinterpret. Many victims of the flooding, particularly in basement apartments were sleeping or otherwise tuned-out from information sources. A siren would elevate response and awareness to the danger and with appropriate guidance from other information sources, inform the public to move to higher ground as needed in life threatening measures. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shades said:

Emergency response measures to inform the public should not rely solely on media, the internet, for weather-related emergencies. If community-based sirens were utilized in a flash flood emergency, it would be hard to ignore or misinterpret. Many victims of the flooding, particularly in basement apartments were sleeping or otherwise tuned-out from information sources. A siren would elevate response and awareness to the danger and with appropriate guidance from other information sources, inform the public to move to higher ground as needed in life threatening measures. 

Processes will be improved including modeling a 2 hour window of potentially overwhelming-excessive rainfall and then it's up to us to get the message out out 2 hours in advance,  not within it's occurrence for which i'm afraid entrapment was occurring on roads near creeks and near overwhelmed drainage basins. Scary in that situation,  and what to do becomes a problem. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

An IMF working paper estimated that after-tax externalities from the fossil fuel industry come to more than $640 billion each year in the United States. Society bears the burden of those costs. Put another way, this industry is the tobacco-asbestos-opioids industries on steroids without any of the liability for its harm. This is the ultimate “free rider” problem and it severely distorts market function. If the industry paid even 20% of the costs of its externalities to fund mitigation, adaptation, and disaster recovery, the energy industry would look very different. These companies, being self- interested and seeking profits, would have led the way to cleaner energy, as business-as-usual would have become largely or wholly unprofitable.

These companies need to be set on fire just like they've done to the planet.

And yes I mean literally.....they need to be burned to the ground by people since our politicians are dont have the spine to do what needs to be done.

Take no prisoners, as they say......

Did you read about this Don?

https://twitter.com/i/events/1434178344271192067

A huge oil spill in the wake of Ida that they were trying to cover up and which the New York Times just exposed?

3 hours ago, Shades said:

You mean the tens of thousands of people living in illegal apartments who for decades have ignored warning about why theyre unsafe, ignoring the ability to put smoke/co alarms or dont replace ones that go bad because “the alarm is annoying when we burn dinner”, ignored the hundreds of deaths over the years in illegal apts/dwellings, would suddenly listen to a siren? 

not sure im gonna buy that one. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

And yes I mean literally.....they need to be burned to the ground by people since our politicians are dont have the spine to do what needs to be done.

A huge oil spill in the wake of Ida that they were trying to cover up and which the New York Times just exposed?

Good evening Liberty. You are helping me by giving my last few brain cells a workout today. I agree with your passion. I do, however believe that your stated desire is more figurative. You have already wielded the most powerful weapon available ‘information’ it, when truthful, deals more damage than the torch. If the the Times, a paper I no longer admire, put this out as strict information then they did the right thing as they should always do. As a young firebrand ( no pun intended, Liberty, ) I believed that any CEO whose actions caused a company to fail at the loss of the livelihood of many should  be hung publicly on gallows erected on either side of the NYC Park Ave green spaces. I believed these monsters deserved not a golden parachute but instead a golden noose. Now I’ve mellowed so I believe they should be broken down to poverty level, forced to live in a homeless shelter and given training in the fine art of dumpster diving. It seems though all violent actions result in some collateral damage. For this situation the pen and the word are powerful enough. And Liberty, you used them well by bringing it to our attention. Thank you, as always ….

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

All we have to do is never buy what they are selling anymore.  No fossil fuels, plastics, etc and they go out of business. Easy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Some photos from the New York Botanical Garden following major flooding along the Bronx River. The River is filled with mud. A large amount of sand was deposited along its banks. A large bench was ripped from its foundation along a path that is still closed to the public.

image.png.d240eee3150862f1d50660b5ecaa126d.png

image.png.d0d99d0a9c2016dc7b3f275e409b1cf7.png

image.png.6ac02bb96eda37df8801ed997ff8c229.png

image.png.88627f1e7d9ca4fd0c4f57204eb59f03.png

image.png.b950faee051ad613dff3f159b2c8a7f0.png

image.png.5576b47916a1f9a15266c33766e747d9.png

Good evening Don. I had heard/read damned if I can remember ( it’s been that kind of day ) that the trunk portion of the Rockefeller Center tree was preserved and given for use in pastoral settings. Is it possible that the tree trunk in the last picture was from one of the Centers trees?