• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
IDA remnants OBS-nowcasts (storm total rain and/or unusual flooding, wind damage-power outage, gusts ~45+ MPH) Wed-Thu morning Sept 1-2, 2021

wdrag

2 hours ago, Snowlover11 said:

traffic was a nightmare this morning leaving work what should be a 5-10 minute drive home, took me over an hour and 30 mins to get home.

Yeah..still is. The sunshine is deceiving. In early afternoon the major deegan was still flooded with lines and lines of cars and trucks abandoned in the water. Also additional runoff out of Van Courtlandt Park and down from Westchester was flowing onto the highway. Bx River Pkwy looks similar still.  I had to drive a little I stuck to local streets.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dWave said:

Yeah..still is. The sunshine is deceiving. In early afternoon the major deegan was still flooded with lines and lines of cars and trucks abandoned in the water. Also additional runoff out of Van Courtlandt Park and down from Westchester was flowing onto the highway. Bx River Pkwy looks similar still.  I had to drive a little I stuck to local streets.

The last time I heard about people abandoning cars like this was Boxing Day 2010.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Way too many people out on the roads last night. I thought the nws and local media did a great job explaining the dangers 

3 hours ago, forkyfork said:

all the abandoned cars i'm seeing means lots of people went out driving despite the warnings 

And people, including our politicians are still blaming the mets.  It's ridiculous.   

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rjay said:

And people, including our politicians are still blaming the mets.  It's ridiculous.   

we all got phone alerts saying it was a life threatening situation. there's also the issue of people who were likely forced to be at work 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

we all got phone alerts saying it was a life threatening situation. there's also the issue of people who were likely forced to be at work 

Let's not forget the masterminds behind deciding to keep the U.S. Open from canceling the evening covered stadium sessions. After which, people had to walk through 1-2 feet of water to get to their cars in the parking lots to go nowhere because the Grand Central Parkway, Van Wyck Expy and Whitestone Expy were all flooded. 

• Like 1

I watched this all unfold live on TV/Internet. How hard is what happened being studied by the highest levels of meteorology right now? How could an outlier event like this occur so quickly? 

There was an abundance of rain/wind by midnight EST but then...boom. This phenomena just exploded over the course of hundreds and hundreds of miles. I'm not sure which would be more damaging long term: An event such as what just occurred, or a snowfall event that continued to train rates like that over such a widespread area. 

I mean, come on: This event just told Sandy, and basically every other Northeast storm ever to hold it's beer. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Well it was forecasted well to be honest. 

I do agree, actually. Rainfall totals, rates, potential for tornadoes, etc - it was all there. But come on: This was basically a 10/10 fruition event. Or was it? People are starting to wonder if storms like this are going to rapidly become the norm. 

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Well it was forecasted well to be honest. 

They are talking about changing the terminology now, like "remnant"- it doesn't do an event like this justice.  We're slowly going to start moving away from the Saffir Simpson scale and more towards an impact based scale, which is something I've wanted for years  This would be a Class IV flood event. (Or something thereabouts.)  Class V would be if the entire area got 10"+

13 minutes ago, GrindOutWins said:

I do agree, actually. Rainfall totals, rates, potential for tornadoes, etc - it was all there. But come on: This was basically a 10/10 fruition event. Or was it? People are starting to wonder if storms like this are going to rapidly become the norm. 

The scientific community knows, actually everyone knows.  It's just a matter of getting companies worried about their own profits out of the way.  I say let's threaten their existence the way they threaten ours.  Pull no punches.....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GrindOutWins said:

If this occurred 40 miles NW, nobody would be talking like you are. It’s unfortunate it all came together over NY metro.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Intensewind002 said:

Seeing some of the aftermath now, i think the effects from PTC Ida is arguably worse than either Irene or Floyd for the nyc metro area…. Sandy probably not but I can’t believe how high the death toll is getting

Ida for our area one could argue was a Class IV Flood Event.  Sandy would be a Class III Wind Event and a Class V Surge Event.

We need to switch to impact based scales.....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

They are talking about changing the terminology now, like "remnant"- it doesn't do an event like this justice.  We're slowly going to start moving away from the Saffir Simpson scale and more towards an impact based scale, which is something I've wanted for years  This would be a Class IV flood event. (Or something thereabouts.)  Class V would be if the entire area got 10"+

Meh that wouldn’t have changed anything. It’s NYC. Lots of people live there. They have places to go. All you can do is warn about impact and communicate that as best as you can. You can’t tell people what to do. You just need to  communicate things as best as you can. They have to take that info and do what they please. This was probably 1/100ish year event? Maybe more? Every time there is a risk of FFW, you aren’t going to keep people off the roads or have 300,000 people leave their basement apt. 

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Meh that wouldn’t have changed anything. It’s NYC. Lots of people live there. They have places to go. All you can do is warn about impact and communicate that as best as you can. You can’t tell people what to do. You just need to  communicate things as best as you can. They have to take that info and do what they please. This was probably 1/100ish year event? Maybe more? Every time there is a risk of FFW, you aren’t going to keep people off the roads or have 300,000 people leave their basement apt. 

1/500 year I think.  I dont think that really matters since we seem to get at least 2 of these every year.  This was our second or third.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There's also people who probably dont even have access to communications devices, I suspect.  The most vulnerable.  I don't know how you reach them.