• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
IDA remnants OBS-nowcasts (storm total rain and/or unusual flooding, wind damage-power outage, gusts ~45+ MPH) Wed-Thu morning Sept 1-2, 2021

wdrag

44 minutes ago, Poker2015 said:

Just took a drive through my town and there are abandoned cars all over the place, roads washed out, and debris all over the place.

All the alerts probably confused some people. Tornado warning, go to the basement...Flash Flood warning, get to higher ground...

That is a great point.  We just don't have experience with these situations around here esp. tornados.  

1 hour ago, user13 said:

Yes the flash flood warning and the emergency is very confusing to most people

Here's what confuses me.....the differences between the old Fujita and scale and the new "enhanced" Fujita scale.  And from the mets I have talked to they either don't understand my question or don't understand why it was done this way either.

Here's the basic question....

Instead of making an entirely new scale, why didn't they just adjust the mph ranges of the original scale?  Why have old tornadoes on an outdated scale and new tornadoes on a different scale?  If the original scale was modified with the new ranges wouldn't it be much better namely have all tornadoes, new and old, on the same scale?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

I still cannot get over the tornado in Gloucester County, NJ. Yes, we know that we can get tornadoes in NJ and NY but they are never this violent, this long tracked or as wide. 

Ironic for the SNJ branch of our family.  They lived in "real" tornado country (Decatur, IL) for 5 years before moving to Gloucester County in 2015, about 6 miles from the tornado.  They had a baby spinner a few miles from the DEC house, but now an EF3 (my guess) far closer than any major tornados to their old place.

Edit: It was 5 miles away or a bit less.

2 minutes ago, BucksCO_PA said:

In 1953 Worcester was hit by an F5 tornado 

I don't believe it was ever an official F-5. I think it was high end F-4. I think there has been debate and it was considered and reevaluated but was left as a high end F-4. 

Unbelievable what NYC has been going through. Breaking the 1 hour rainfall record at Central Park, and then shortly after shattering the new record. Damn!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sojitodd said:

I don't believe it was ever an official F-5. I think it was high end F-4. I think there has been debate and it was considered and reevaluated but was left as a high end F-4. 

Unbelievable what NYC has been going through. Breaking the 1 hour rainfall record at Central Park, and then shortly after shattering the new record. Damn!

Thanks, apparently there was a strong case to be made that F5 damage occurred around the Assumption College area. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Ironic for the SNJ branch of our family.  They lived in "real" tornado country (Decatur, IL) for 5 years before moving to Gloucester County in 2015, about 6 miles from the tornado.  They had a baby spinner a few miles from the DEC house, but now an EF3 (my guess) far closer than any major tornados to their old place.

I think this would be the second EF3 of the summer (the first one was also in the Philly area.)

9 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Was that the one that caused the first EF3 of the summer?  It ripped up a Home Depot and mall.

6 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I believe that was in Bristol Bucks County 

yep-I was down there last month-it was near the turnpike and hit a car dealership and some other buildings.   More of a commercial area.  Not sure if there was a Home depot/mall

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

all the abandoned cars i'm seeing means lots of people went out driving despite the warnings 

You can't reason with some people.  I don't understand why you would even want to be out in such miserable conditions.  I left work and arrived home before things went downhill but if I had stayed late, I probably would have just sucked it up and stayed there for the night.  I always keep snacks in my desk and I could have just fooled around on the internet or my phone to pass the time.  Better than venturing into a storm after dark.

29 minutes ago, BucksCO_PA said:

Thanks, apparently there was a strong case to be made that F5 damage occurred around the Assumption College area. 

The EF4 decision was based on the assumption (no pun intended) that the houses on Uncatena Avenue were of substandard construction.  It looked like classic "5" destruction there - slab foundations swept clean and debris so scattered and reduced as to make it impossible to know from which houses it came, or if it even came from houses rather than a lumber yard.  The massive masonry walls of a large building on that college campus were crushed in by the wind, and I've not seen such damage elsewhere from anything less than a 5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The EF4 decision was based on the assumption (no pun intended) that the houses on Uncatena Avenue were of substandard construction.  It looked like classic "5" destruction there - slab foundations swept clean and debris so scattered and reduced as to make it impossible to know from which houses it came, or if it even came from houses rather than a lumber yard.  The massive masonry walls of a large building on that college campus were crushed in by the wind, and I've not seen such damage elsewhere from anything less than a 5.

Either way, it was a hugely anomalous event. The only EF5 tornado ever recorded in the Northeast was the 1985 Wheatland - Hermitage tornado in far western PA. No EF-4 has ever been recorded in the vicinity of Philadelphia.

image.thumb.png.e7a1c9c07afd7d00e3af46e3eb5eb0cb.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Was that the one that caused the first EF3 of the summer?  It ripped up a Home Depot and mall.

The July EF-3 hit the Trevose section of Bensalem Township. The F3 damage occurred at a car dealership & neighboring mobile home park. This is the strongest tornado on record to hit Bucks County.

Yesterday Bristol was hit by confirmed tornado that originated in S. Jersey.

• Thanks 1