• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
IDA remnants OBS-nowcasts (storm total rain and/or unusual flooding, wind damage-power outage, gusts ~45+ MPH) Wed-Thu morning Sept 1-2, 2021

wdrag

Just now, jm1220 said:

Wow. Horrendous that most deaths from Ida will likely be in this area. Goes to show how water is by far the deadliest aspect of any storm. 

Way too many people out on the roads last night. I thought the nws and local media did a great job explaining the dangers 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I wish there was a way we could capture all this water we keep getting here and ship it out west to where it’s needed and they’re dealing with one of their worst droughts on record. 

Theoretically it could probably be captured, then it would need to be cleaned and treated and shipped through some sort of water pipeline lol.

Just now, Stormlover74 said:

Sadly many stayed home and died in their basements too

This was a Harvey like situation.  There are no simple answers.....you can't simply shelter in place.  Staying off the roads does no good if your home isn't safe either.

People like to comfort themselves with mindless cliches like "Turn around dont drown".....but what if there is no place left to go?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

This was a Harvey like situation.  There are no simple answers.....you can't simply shelter in place.  Staying off the roads does no good if your home isn't safe either.

People like to comfort themselves with mindless cliches like "Turn around dont drown".....but what if there is no place left to go?

It’s a sad situation…And of course that usually affects the most vulnerable.

In that part of queens you have a lot of immigrants, don’t speak English, Don’t know the rules, they live in illegal basement apartments.

If I had to bet… they had no way out

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, jfklganyc said:

In that part of queens you have a lot of immigrants, don’t speak English, Don’t know the rules, they live in illegal basement apartments.

Probably a lot of people crowded in together too.  They probably didn't even know this was coming.

4 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

With rainfall rates of 3-4" in one hour, you can get stuck in traffic when the streets are clear and within 30 min they are under water. Sometimes there is nothing you can do. 

• Sad 1

The high res models did a good job highlighting extreme rainfall in a short period. I thought the HRRR did well. It may have been a hair too far north, but what tends to happen is that these convective complexes ride the warm front. Usually when this happens, the heaviest rains sort of stay a bit more south of where models place this. I find this happens more in the warm season. Forky was talking about this in our forum, yesterday. So take the HRRR and move it like 15 miles south....boom. We had amounts to my south of 6-8"+ too in about 3-5 hrs. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

One of the main problems is that people don't listen to warnings but the biggest problem is that a majority of the public doesn't even understand what they mean or the difference between a watch and a warning.

A large percentage doesn't understand the difference between straight line wind damage and a tornado either.

• Like 4

I’m in Queens and some blocks look like they were hit by a literal tsunami, filthy cars and debris all over the place, and then the next block over it looks as if nothing happened. The LIE is covered in sand/mud/rocks with muddy cars strewn about, I’ve never seen anything like this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

I wish there was a way we could capture all this water we keep getting here and ship it out west to where it’s needed and they’re dealing with one of their worst droughts on record. 

One of my lifetime dreams is to see a continental water delivery system. A series of pipelines connecting the major drainages so water can be moved from places with too much to places that don't have enough. Water for people, water for agriculture and water for industry. I know - treatment, etc. but where there's a will there's a way. Think of the millions of jobs it would create, think of places that are getting harder and harder to live or places that are burning to the ground. I know it won't ever happen but it's something I've been thinking about for 40 years...

3 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

One of my lifetime dreams is to see a continental water delivery system. A series of pipelines connecting the major drainages so water can be moved from places with too much to places that don't have enough. Water for people, water for agriculture and water for industry. I know - treatment, etc. but where there's a will there's a way. Think of the millions of jobs it would create, think of places that are getting harder and harder to live or places that are burning to the ground. I know it won't ever happen but it's something I've been thinking about for 40 years...

Yeah it's a lot better than what the agriculture industry does now out there which is pretty shitty and reckless (drill deep down to get water and destroy the environment in the process.)

1 minute ago, gravitylover said:

We do it with oil, moving it all across the country in pipelines...... No reason we can't do it for water, but we would need much larger pumps and pipes.  I wouldn't bother treating it until it needs to be drank.... Just dump it into lake Mead lol

4 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

also the shitty fossil fuel cartels who waste a ton of water.

Just now, Whineminster said:

We do it with oil, moving it all across the country in pipelines...... No reason we can't do it for water, but we would need much larger pumps and pipes.  I wouldn't bother treating it until it needs to be drank.... Just dump it into lake Mead lol

yeah and water going through a pipeline is a lot less dangerous than oil and gas are

6 minutes ago, Cfa said:

I’m in Queens and some blocks look like they were hit by a literal tsunami, filthy cars and debris all over the place, and then the next block over it looks as if nothing happened. The LIE is covered in sand/mud/rocks with muddy cars strewn about, I’ve never seen anything like this.

Sandy?

34 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I still cannot get over the tornado in Gloucester County, NJ. Yes, we know that we can get tornadoes in NJ and NY but they are never this violent, this long tracked or as wide. 

It will be interesting too see what EF rating will be given after being inspected by NWS.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

There is a massive ecological problem. Water is very different from different parts of the country. Also, bacteria, algae, ect from long transport.

3 minutes ago, Poker2015 said:

Just took a drive through my town and there are abandoned cars all over the place, roads washed out, and debris all over the place.

All the alerts probably confused some people. Tornado warning, go to the basement...Flash Flood warning, get to higher ground...

Yes the flash flood warning and the emergency is very confusing to most people

• Like 1