Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Banter 2021

George BM

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

There’s another video out there of a guy walking through ankle deep water and then as soon as he goes to another room, the wall gives out and the whole room immediately floods.  In this case he was ok, but that’s the scenario where it can happen very quickly.

found it -

Oh my lord

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Absolutely insane 

This is exactly why one should never walk in a (severely) flooded basement!

It can be said that noises of stress - creaks/groans/moans et-al are cue to haul ass (indeed they are!) but in many cases when you're dealing with tremendous hydrostatic pressure across a large wall below grade it sneaks up so fast you don't have much choice and when it fails one finds themself in a situation that can cost them their life.  Not to mention other hazards (natural gas leaks, live electrical circuits to name a few).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I got stung by a yellow jacket twice today.

F*ck fall, I want a deep, hard freeze. Single digits. Kill every. single. bug. :snowman:

I'm very fortunate I did not get stung.  I was greeted by some not so friendly European hornets yesterday while up on my roof.  Appears they are in the fireplace flue (we have a pellet stove insert) and found a way to get under the cap and build a nest in a quite voluminous cavity well shielded from outside as they like to do.  They key here when encountering scouts is to remain calm and walk away.  Especially on a roof!  They usually don't get super aggressive unless you're on top of their nest and they feel threatened.  This is one reason I don't like dealing with rotted out dead trees.  Bad enough dealing with felling and compromised fibers.  But nothing gets them coming at you full bore attack mode like a big bore ported power saw that probably feels like a huge earthquake to them!  This time of the year nests are really large and can have 1000 (or more) adults ready to sting, squirt venom and bite you! (yes they have super big mandibles and will bite HARD if you handle them)

That said, I was working on our east tower, over 50' from the chimney and every time I fired up my Milwaukee impact driver I was greeted by a curious fellow circling around, buzzing nearby.  They really do like to annoy (people) like that almost like they're provoking a fight, looking for a reason to summon the Calvary on me which indeed would really piss me off!  I don't have a bee suit so I'm leaving them alone and will postpone my work until we have a frost and the queen vacates the nest.  Better for me and better for them.

24 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I’d like to see tornado warnings vs actual tornadoes on the east coast region

Shouldn’t we expect to see the same proportion of warned vs verified throughout the nation though? Unless the criteria for warning are different amongst NWS offices (they may be, idk).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I’d like to see tornado warnings vs actual tornadoes on the east coast region

I briefly went through only those within LWX

out of 50 warnings only 9 produced tornadoes

3 on 5/3

1 on 6/3

2 on 7/1

3 on 9/1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

4 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Shouldn’t we expect to see the same proportion of warned vs verified throughout the nation though? Unless the criteria for warning are different amongst NWS offices (they may be, idk).

See, I don’t really know, but I do have a hunch. Just from my observation, we get a lot of warnings that seem marginal when looking at radar signatures. Granted, my analysis is not professional. Same with severe thunderstorm warnings. I can’t tell you how many times we will get a warning come out here and the storm is basically nothing than a typical thunderstorm. But when I see warnings on the maps out in the plains, and then look at the radar, it’s like wow! The radar signatures there seem ominous. Just an observation with no facts to back it up. Just curious.

• Like 2

I am just a magnet for severe.

Yellow warning of thunderstorm

Updated 7 September at 10:20 BST
From
11:00 BST on Thu 9 September
To
20:00 BST on Thu 9 September

Heavy showers and thunderstorms on Thursday have the potential to bring surface water flooding in a few places, and disruption to travel.

- There is a small chance that homes and businesses could be flooded quickly, with damage to some buildings from floodwater, lightning strikes, hail or strong winds

- Where flooding or lightning strikes occur, there is a chance of delays and some cancellations to train and bus services

- Spray and sudden flooding could lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures

- There is a small chance that some rural communities could temporarily become cut off by flooded roads

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

I think everyone can stop looking to kill lantern flies or whatever they are called. They are literally everywhere out here. That ship has sailed. Those horses are already out of the barn. Me stomping a few would be like somebody in New York trying to stop the flooding last week using a bucket.

2 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I think everyone can stop looking to kill lantern flies or whatever they are called. They are literally everywhere out here. That ship has sailed. Those horses are already out of the barn. Me stomping a few would be like somebody in New York trying to stop the flooding last week using a bucket.

sad but true

4 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That sucks.  I hadn’t realized they were rampant already in Frederick county.  

13 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

See, I don’t really know, but I do have a hunch. Just from my observation, we get a lot of warnings that seem marginal when looking at radar signatures. Granted, my analysis is not professional. Same with severe thunderstorm warnings. I can’t tell you how many times we will get a warning come out here and the storm is basically nothing than a typical thunderstorm. But when I see warnings on the maps out in the plains, and then look at the radar, it’s like wow! The radar signatures there seem ominous. Just an observation with no facts to back it up. Just curious.

Its a good observation. Our 'severe' storms are lame compared to the plains lol. Its also worth noting that we've had two tropical systems come through, prompting quite a few warnings. 

• Like 5

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic