Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Ghost of Ida Impacts Thread

WxWatcher007

Just now, S&P said:

Lol yeah I was thinking based on the last few years I am only giving up about 12” in average snow fall

some crazy bombogenesis nor'easter in November will find a way to transport enough cold air into northern FL that you see rain end as snow while we're 60's with rain 

• Like 1

These past few months have been pretty crazy here in the Northeast. So much to be impressed about but I'm not sure if nothing impresses me more than the fact that NJ has had 11-tornadoes this year including an EF-2 and an EF-3. I really miss tornadohistoryproject.com because it was so easy to manipulate tornado data but I would say this has to be like top 2 year for them...maybe 1989 would be #1? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

These past few months have been pretty crazy here in the Northeast. So much to be impressed about but I'm not sure if nothing impresses me more than the fact that NJ has had 11-tornadoes this year including an EF-2 and an EF-3. I really miss tornadohistoryproject.com because it was so easy to manipulate tornado data but I would say this has to be like top 2 year for them...maybe 1989 would be #1? 

It would have been nice to see someone take up the torch for Grazulis when he retired. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Ian Livingstone has a database site https://www.ustornadoes.com/

https://www.ustornadoes.com/2016/04/06/annual-and-monthly-tornado-averages-across-the-united-states/

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

oh man...I totally, totally forgot about their website. Wow...this has come along way since they started it. This looks incredible.

I love too how they break tornadoes down into "Pre-doppler" and "Doppler" era...that's exactly what I did too many years ago for a lightning round presentation at one of the conferences and what I did in a project I ended up using as senior research. I was always hoping to take that project off the ground but I never really did...I totally suck with math/statistics and I just never trusted my methodology. 

It's an interesting aspect...

I feel the entire Ida story, from inception to impact, to the last chapters ... must also include the strike upon civility that took place the other night up in the upper M/A and immediately ensuing en routes of southern New England - despite the 36 to 48 hours of lull that took place after the initial landfall over the LA perishes. The loss of civil infrastructure more so in one sense;  human casualty became of the tragedy of the latter.  And while the guts of the killer only seemed dead while they lurked as a deceptive vesper-swirl on satellite over the lower OV/TV regions, who would have portended the doom better than the models - which seemed too preposterous [ perhaps ] to pull the trigger with a longer lead of popularized warnings... (it seems the best circuitry to turn on awareness in our culture, is through celebrity).  Either way, without that swirl getting entangled in an early autumn polar jet field, Ida's story would have ended in just a novella instead.

And while I don't think anyone's argued otherwise ( I hope... ) from  the annuls/accounts, to the analytics and back, I hope they all describe a totality that begins with the assault on Louisiana, and ends in this fake shot across the bow air mass we enjoy today - a touching way to finish that story, just like the angel's "Ave Maria" after the death knell near the end of Fantasia. 

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

And these are the reasons we are extremely careful when designing basement spaces.  I hate having Bedrooms in below grade Basements even if proper egress is met.  Just scary shit.  

Yeah ha ...right.   Like "Finished coffin .. ehhm, I mean basement space"

On 9/2/2021 at 12:18 AM, TheSnowman said:

EWR reported 3.24" in 1 hour.”  

Wait wait wait wait… just DAYS ago, when Henri came in, NYC broke its ALL-TIME1 Hour Rational Total…. Of 1.74” or so.  

THIS is almost DOUBLE that!!  

Just want to comment on this that NYC (Central Park) does not have a long record of hourly obs. June 1995 the ASOS was installed. Before that hourly obs were hit and miss. So I’m not sure what’s in the obs record for hourly precip there to begin with. 

16 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

IMG_0493.jpg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Couple pics from the flood aftermath of where I work in jersey.  Hundreds of cars just abandon and floated away.  Found several in the brooks and river as they went down.  Fire department lost a truck.

48D3D8A9-B15A-4817-B277-12AF47AC86B3.jpeg

0CB9D3D9-3B58-4B19-9EB8-582778F20921.jpeg

920B7F92-0D8A-426F-8989-9F6910DBAA88.jpeg

203AE525-FDC0-4888-AE66-C9B63104E350.jpeg

Which river, Passaic?  Raritan?  Other?

Losing a heavy vehicle like a fire truck is amazing.  Road/bridge wash out under it?  Would take 4-5 ft. with significant current to move a 15-20-ton rig.

6 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Which river, Passaic?  Raritan?  Other?

Losing a heavy vehicle like a fire truck is amazing.  Road/bridge wash out under it?  Would take 4-5 ft. with significant current to move a 15-20-ton rig.

Raritan river.  Rescuing people from an apartment complex and it just came so fast.  The Dpw garage is on the banks of the river.  Supervisor blew it and didn’t move their equipment like they usually do and the losses are in the millions.  Garage had over 15 feet.  Never saw flooding like this here.  We get it, but this was worse and faster.  It’s all down now, but it was a crazy sight seeing cars everywhere; on top of each other, in rivers, on guard rails…the power of flooding rivers is amazing. 

• Like 2