Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ghost of Ida Impacts Thread

WxWatcher007

2 hours ago, Spanks45 said:

5.29" for the event, impressive for here....now lets save some for this winter please

That’s funny cuz you had a lil more than I did from the daytime stuff.  But that band came up through here between 10:30pm and 1:00am that just went nuts. And ended up pushing me up over 6” ending with 6.1” here. 

12 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Incredible…Moore OK or the Cape if I ever get to case. Would this be three in as many years if confirmed?

Oklahoma et al. can keep all their great instability, shear, lift, etc. The Cape will always have "The James Effect." Watching the stuff come into Falmouth and Dennis area early this morning I thought about how great his posts would have been during this event.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Oklahoma et al. can keep all their great instability, shear, lift, etc. The Cape will always have "The James Effect." Watching the stuff come into Falmouth and Dennis area early this morning I thought about how great his posts would have been during this event.

Well said 

28 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Absolutely dude, good post.  James was watching it all unfold from the beyond.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MJO812 said:

23 people have died in NJ and NY combined

RIP

No one thought it was going to be this bad. What a disaster.

Except for the fact this was very well predicted by the models, local NWS offices and the WPC alike. I can’t help but feel we need a major overhaul on how these extreme threats are broadcast to the public. 

When a major blizzard comes through NYC travel is restricted to all non-emergencies...why wasn’t the same thing done here? It makes me really sad and angry that I think a lot of fatalities could have been prevented here if the threat was better conveyed. Jeff Masters post on YCC today hits the point pretty hard.

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2021/09/northeast-pummeled-with-colossal-flooding-destructive-tornadoes/

New York’s new governor, Kathy Hochul – forced to deal with every political leader’s nightmare, a weather disaster, after just one week in office – called the rain “far more than anyone expected.” In fact, despite many residents getting caught unaware, the potential for high-end flooding was amply predicted by the National Weather Service. A flash flood watch for the New York City area for Wednesday afternoon was issued by the local National Weather Service office an amazing 48 hours in advance: at 3 p.m. Monday. The watch warned that “widespread 3 to 5 inches of rain is forecast with locally higher amounts possible.” 

By Tuesday afternoon, the NWS Weather Prediction Center had enclosed the New York area in a top-end high-risk area for flood-producing rains for Day 2, Wednesday. The Weather Prediction Center also noted that some locations had a 95% chance of seeing rainfall amounts that would be expected once a century or less.

It’s possible that distractions from other major news events pulled the focus away, or that users who rely mainly on icon-based depictions or brief messages from apps rather than narrative detail may not have grasped the extreme nature of the flood threat. Moreover, if residents of New York had heard only that “remnants of Ida” were approaching, they might not have seen the situation as being especially worrisome, especially after multiple flood events already this summer. Perhaps it’s time to reconsider how top-end flood threats are depicted and disseminated to an audience that may be inured to them.“

22 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

Except for the fact this was very well predicted by the models, local NWS offices and the WPC alike. I can’t help but feel we need a major overhaul on how these extreme threats are broadcast to the public. 

When a major blizzard comes through NYC travel is restricted to all non-emergencies...why wasn’t the same thing done here? It makes me really sad and angry that I think a lot of fatalities could have been prevented here if the threat was better conveyed. Jeff Masters post on YCC today hits the point pretty hard.

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2021/09/northeast-pummeled-with-colossal-flooding-destructive-tornadoes/

New York’s new governor, Kathy Hochul – forced to deal with every political leader’s nightmare, a weather disaster, after just one week in office – called the rain “far more than anyone expected.” In fact, despite many residents getting caught unaware, the potential for high-end flooding was amply predicted by the National Weather Service. A flash flood watch for the New York City area for Wednesday afternoon was issued by the local National Weather Service office an amazing 48 hours in advance: at 3 p.m. Monday. The watch warned that “widespread 3 to 5 inches of rain is forecast with locally higher amounts possible.” 

By Tuesday afternoon, the NWS Weather Prediction Center had enclosed the New York area in a top-end high-risk area for flood-producing rains for Day 2, Wednesday. The Weather Prediction Center also noted that some locations had a 95% chance of seeing rainfall amounts that would be expected once a century or less.

It’s possible that distractions from other major news events pulled the focus away, or that users who rely mainly on icon-based depictions or brief messages from apps rather than narrative detail may not have grasped the extreme nature of the flood threat. Moreover, if residents of New York had heard only that “remnants of Ida” were approaching, they might not have seen the situation as being especially worrisome, especially after multiple flood events already this summer. Perhaps it’s time to reconsider how top-end flood threats are depicted and disseminated to an audience that may be inured to them.“

Good evening KB. I appreciate the sense of your post. My fear fear, though, is that folks stop reading/listening and revert to a ‘now cast’ based on a ‘now experience’. Yesterday during the day after the very early and very light rains with the sun out folks ( as did some of our posters ) disregarded anything but their real time observation. I happened to be out on an errand when the first early evening drops started to fall. Those out with me had no rain gear and ended up running for dry. Lesson learned? Of that, I’m not entirely sure. As always ….

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

This was pretty well forecast I think. The governor is full of shit.

Decisions are also tied into the type of weather alert. 

This is what I was getting at too yesterday when this event needed something stronger than just a Flash Flood Watch. Yes, all meteorologists who are responsible for communicating to the public did an incredible job highlighting the risks, but when you have decision makers and there is movement to institute certain restrictions they'll go "well it's just a flash flood watch". 

I mean we see flash flood watches on days when convection is forecast and there is hardly any shear so thunderstorms just dump on a location.