• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Ghost of Ida Impacts Thread

WxWatcher007

So, over 6" here apparently. That's with hours of no rain in the middle of the storm. 

I woke up with my kid at 2, and haven't been back to sleep. Kept the basement dry bar a puddle and finally had an opportunity to diagnose where the tiny leak in my roof is coming from. Now I'm going to get my chimney removed, but I think I got off lightly.

Also, I demonstrated some real wishful thinking in how I was looking at things, but not in how I behaved. It's hard to look at the scenes west of us at 2 am, with cars floating and airports flooding, and not want to at least check the basement a little.

The second line of storms that came through also surprised me, I knew I'd get hit at the beginning and end, but the most intense was in the middle. The heaviest rain I've ever seen.

Unremarkable wind, but for how unstable it was, during the heaviest line with all the lightning. Lots of verticality to the wind. Wonder if someone got a microburst.

30 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Well wasn't Sandy due more to surge rather than rainfall?  In that respect this would certainly impact a greater area.

Yes the surge was worse with Sandy. I got a little bit over an inch of rain with Sandy but my area was an ocean due to the high surge

12 minutes ago, NeonPeon said:

So, over 6" here apparently. That's with hours of no rain in the middle of the storm. 

I woke up with my kid at 2, and haven't been back to sleep. Kept the basement dry bar a puddle and finally had an opportunity to diagnose where the tiny leak in my roof is coming from. Now I'm going to get my chimney removed, but I think I got off lightly.

Also, I demonstrated some real wishful thinking in how I was looking at things, but not in how I behaved. It's hard to look at the scenes west of us at 2 am, with cars floating and airports flooding, and not want to at least check the basement a little.

The second line of storms that came through also surprised me, I knew I'd get hit at the beginning and end, but the most intense was in the middle. The heaviest rain I've ever seen.

Unremarkable wind, but for how unstable it was, during the heaviest line with all the lightning. Lots of verticality to the wind. Wonder if someone got a microburst.

I had a gust last night that shrieked so loud all the dogs came running to me. Heard snapping limbs, found several down in the yard. Wheres our Portsmouth RI guy who says Narragansett Bay eats storms.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I had a gust last night that shrieked so loud all the dogs came running to me. Heard snapping limbs, found several down in the yard. Wheres our Portsmouth RI guy who says Narragansett Bay eats storms.

Lost a decent chunk of the road up the street from me.

Looks like the models did scary good with this thing... 

Not tropical

Not extra tropical

Something of an in-between.   

It had "too much" latent heat transported, and those convective sequences last night ...back building Jersey/NYC region ...where too cold, bright and expansive, with dark insidious cloud topped cores for typical convection over this region - even appeared to couch 'hot towers' ...  sort of a smoking gun for something unusually tropic taking place at our latitude.  

Yet, there were frontal boundaries clearly in play ...no need to rehash all the evidences as to why/how.

But, the super clustering of various products seemed to really work, as the blend(s) therein nailed the axis of heaviest rain where it appears to have verified at almost precision. 

We have brooks and streams around town here along Rt 2 in N-central Mass ...none are in flood that I have seen.  Contrasting, the narrow axis of huge pummeling was very well handled in the short range by guidance;  I recall commenting yesterday that there was a subtle trend therein to narrow that corridor along the southern zones.  

You know...  some sort of hybrid meshed mess comes through with ( in theory ...) the most complex task by the modeling there can be ( for having collateral materialized physics going on...) and the models nail it ...

But take it to the bank ...we're busting snow to rain , rain to snow and amounts all winter long!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Looks like the models did scary good with this thing... 

Not tropical

Not extra tropical

Something of an in-between.   

It had "too much" latent heat transported, and those convective sequences last night ...back building Jersey/NYC region ...where too cold, bright,, expansive, with dark insidious cloud tops for typical convection over this region - even appeared to couch 'hot towers' ...  sort of smoking gun for something unusually tropic taking place at our latitude.  

Yet, there were frontal boundaries clearly in play ...no need to rehash all the evidences as to why/how.

But, the super clustering of various products seemed to really work, as the blend(s) therein nailed the axis of heaviest rain where it appears to have verified at almost precision. 

We have brooks and streams around town here along Rt 2 in N-central Mass ...none are in flood that I have seen.  Contrasting, the narrow axis of huge pummeling ...was very well handled in the short range by guidance;  I recall commenting yesterday that there was a subtle trend therein to narrow that corridor along the southern zones.  

You know...  some sort of hybrid meshed mess comes through with ( in theory ...) the most complex task by the modeling there can be ( for having collateral materialized physics going on...) and the models nail it ... But we're busting snow to rain , rain to snow and amount all winter long!

How did your meh for flooding work out

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

How did your meh for flooding work out

It worked out flawlessly ... as it/posts were done in jest as snark and sarcasm ... for laughs. Two facets that routinely escape your comprehension skills as a patented, conflict oriented internet donkey honk.  

• Haha 1