Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Ghost of Ida Impacts Thread

WxWatcher007

22 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Jesus. Those are some damn expensive homes too 

I am struggling to evaluate this comment. Surely it's better a tornado hits the houses of rich people. Less dense, less economic impact, over insured, more able to absorb temporary impact on loss of home...

Or am I supposed to care about some suburban house in Jersey out of some reverant middle class consciousness?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Weenie 4

6 minutes ago, NeonPeon said:

I am struggling to evaluate this comment. Surely it's better a tornado hits the houses of rich people. Less dense, less economic impact, over insured, more able to absorb temporary impact on loss of home...

Or am I supposed to care about some suburban house in Jersey out of some reverant middle class consciousness?

Would you care more if they buried their power lines?

2 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

Sam Emerson does some really good and highly accurate radar analysis of some of these TORs.

Very interesting analysis but given the low sample size of northeastern tornadoes specifically you might be comparing primarily against systems on the prairies/plains.  Not totally clear if the lofted debris has the same characteristics everywhere... In other words are rain soaked deciduous leaves showing up the same as dry cottonwood leaves, grasses, roof shingles, etc?  I don't know the answer 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NeonPeon said:

I think it's a tragedy when anyone's home is damaged or destroyed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, radarman said:

Very interesting analysis but given the low sample size of northeastern tornadoes specifically you might be comparing primarily against systems on the prairies/plains.  Not totally clear if the lofted debris has the same characteristics everywhere... In other words are rain soaked deciduous leaves showing up the same as dry cottonwood leaves, grasses, roof shingles, etc?  I don't know the answer 

Good points. I don’t know the answer either. What I do know is a lot of his previous analysis has been within ~10mph or so of being correct. Either way I’d guess EF3 but as @CoastalWxjust said just because they are nice houses, doesn’t mean they were constructed all to well. It will be interesting to see the survey that’s for sure. 

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s not EF4. That’s stronger than the Springfield 2011 TOR which you could argue reached that briefly. Probably high end EF2. McMansions can be cookie cutter structures that are made well but not that well.

Agreed. The 2011 damage was significantly greater and that was a high end EF3 (though you can make a legit argument for low EF4). 

Hard to say what that NJ one was without more damage pics to reference...it was at least a solid EF2 anyway. Possibly EF3. If those structures were pretty high-end, then EF3 for sure.