Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Ghost of Ida Impacts Thread

WxWatcher007

2 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

12z NAM was a bit NW with axis of heaviest precip compared to 06z in the NY/CT area. Agreed its a nowcast regarding numbers and actual jackpot areas. 3-5" would be a good soaking for this area but nothing too usual. 7-8"+ is a different mattter.

If that 3-5” comes all in a short period, on top of the saturated and soggy ground, that’s a problem. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

The news media , They May struggle to  brain storm and find a way Bc the flooding angle is so relatively rare for here . Could be the rare “under hype “ . They may not have a “go to” template for flooding . 

that's an interesting point ... lacking the encyclopedia of canned/stock shock phrases -   might have to actually 'write' for a change, huh. 

heh, I actually wonder if an episode of "How It's Made" on The Science Channel might be an interesting/tongue-in-cheek watch ...as they go into the software and editorial tech machine of big media. 

• Haha 1

It seems like two aspects are subtly happening as we are in very short range:  one, ...the axis of heaviest is trying to shift south in these higher res experimental model types;  two, ... it seems while still as anomalously large in the y amt axis, the x- axis ...or areal coverage appears to be honing along a narrowing field.  

These may just be artifacts of model noise...I dunno.  Not here to ruin anyone's dopamine delivery or nothin' ...just seems so

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Up close. Even though technically its isn't they should hoist tropical storm warnings

index (41).png

index (40).png

That raises an excellent point.

This should have a different type of warning outside of Flood/Flash Flood Watches and warnings. 

I would certainly argue something along the lines of a tropical advisory would make sense from a communication standpoint. 

1 minute ago, snowman21 said:

You would need sustained 39+ to meet the criteria. These are just gusts into the 40s/50s which is wind advisory territory.

Guess you missed the technically its not. You would need other criteria as well. But the damage results would qualify. Sometimes scientists are so bound by strict rules they miss the opportunity to give the public proper heads up. No one is highlighted the possibility of winds 40 to 50 witt 6 plus inches of rain. 

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Guess you missed the technically its not. You would need other criteria as well. But the damage results would qualify. Sometimes scientists are so bound by strict rules they miss the opportunity to give the public proper heads up. No one is highlighted the possibility of winds 40 to 50 witt 6 plus inches of rain. 

BINGO

I have but it’s fallen on Helen Keller ears. 

• Haha 1

Because flooding is by far a much bigger threat. Besides a mention of some 40 mph gusts it's a waste of time to be honest.

During the event we are quite inverted north of the warm front so those gust products seem overdone. As the storm pulls away there's a brief window for some 30-35 knot gusts but it doesn't look particularly impressive to me especially with a life-threatening flood event happening before. 

The Flash Flood Watch is enough for today. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Because flooding is by far a much bigger threat. Besides a mention of some 40 mph gusts it's a waste of time to be honest.

During the event we are quite inverted north of the warm front so those gust products seem overdone. As the storm pulls away there's a brief window for some 30-35 knot gusts but it doesn't look particularly impressive to me especially with a life-threatening flood event happening before. 

The Flash Flood Watch is enough for today. 

IDK...there should be something that provides stronger value into potential like today. Not that flash flood watches are super common here but they aren't super rare either. I guess the question that comes down to is, how does the general public typically respond to something like a flash flood watch? Maybe those who live in flood prone areas may take it with some seriousness but my wager is most people probably do nothing or don't even pay attention. 

In a potential like this...there should be something highlighting the greater potential.

Just now, weatherwiz said:

IDK...there should be something that provides stronger value into potential like today. Not that flash flood watches are super common here but they aren't super rare either. I guess the question that comes down to is, how does the general public typically respond to something like a flash flood watch? Maybe those who live in flood prone areas may take it with some seriousness but my wager is most people probably do nothing or don't even pay attention. 

In a potential like this...there should be something highlighting the greater potential.

Yeah but we don't know exactly where the stuff sets up. No need to have several million people think they're going to float away. I think strong wording is good and then you handle it with the warnings. Public won't respond to watches. They'll respond to people like Ryan talking about possible impacts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

That's a separate issue (over warning for flooding... which we've done forever) than issuing a tropical storm warning for some 35 knot gusts or something. 

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I'd say most don't pay attention because most don't have to.

• Thanks 1