Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Ida's Remnants

SnowenOutThere

On 9/1/2021 at 6:36 PM, mappy said:

Wow, this is in Mullica Hill NJ

On 9/1/2021 at 7:14 PM, mappy said:

This is a tornado you’d see in the plains, not suburbia new jersey. My goodness 

On 9/1/2021 at 7:17 PM, mappy said:

Same tornado but as it came out from the trees. Unreal.

13 hours ago, mattie g said:

Can you post a link? I grew up not terribly far from there and still have family in the near area.

see above Mattie

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Come on.  Get away from the power lines and try to get as parallel to the wind as possible.

its possible they didn't know what was going on. sitting there was probably the safest choice in their mind, especially in a truck. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

its possible they didn't know what was going on. sitting there was probably the safest choice in their mind, especially in a truck. 

I could not agree more.  And while we don't know what kind of truck this is, if its an 18 wheeler its not exactly as maneuverable as a small vehicle.  And even at that, this escalated very quickly with very poor visibility.  Chances are this driver is not the weather buff that we are, and the driver is probably not expecting a tornado, in PA no less, at that moment.  Even if I was the driver and surfing this forum and RadarScope at stop lights, the last thing I would expect would be that a tornado would actually hit me given the probabilities area wide.  I probably would have froze with my foot on the brake as well.    

12 minutes ago, mappy said:

I’m not suggesting they drive ahead, just point the cab over to the shoulder.  Truck drivers are very experienced with the dangers of cross-winds.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AdamHLG said:

I could not agree more.  And while we don't know what kind of truck this is, if its an 18 wheeler its not exactly as maneuverable as a small vehicle.  And even at that, this escalated very quickly with very poor visibility.  Chances are this driver is not the weather buff that we are, and the driver is probably not expecting a tornado, in PA no less, at that moment.  Even if I was the driver and surfing this forum and RadarScope at stop lights, the last thing I would expect would be that a tornado would actually hit me given the probabilities area wide.  I probably would have froze with my foot on the brake as well.    

it seems to have come from behind the driver, so that makes it even worse. No visibility on what is coming from behind. Scary situation no doubt. 

7 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Ugh, I'm not on Facebook so I can't watch it.  The picture alone looks scary enough.

Homeowner looking out backdoor, tornado is off to his right behind trees but you can hear the roar. 2 min or so later it hits his house, he and dog are in basement. House shakes, alarms going off, pitch black. He comes upstairs and walks to that front of house window to see what just came through. the video is 3:45 min long. That tornado was moving really fast. Scary. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

The models did really well.  That is an exceptional match, though.

On orientation but not so much on actual amounts. Being anywhere from 1.5” to upwards of 5” off on totals in a 48 hour forecast is pretty far off. 

I would the icon was better with totals from the same range but had its heaviest precip a little too far to the northwest