• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Ida's Remnants

SnowenOutThere

On one hand it is a bit disappointing that we missed the tornadoes and flooding around DC but we did have the overnight supercell which was at least something. We also do have to know that this was probably the best outcome for us where we missed out on what New York got, who knows maybe we are missing events now so we can get a storm this winter. Oh well at least it feels nice outside.

10 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

What when’t wrong for the Tor threat in DC? Was it the morning supercell robbing instability for later? If so how did other areas further north get worse tors? 

Ida was just a smidge too east. The remnants interacted with a warm front that had come through our area earlier yesterday (prompting the overnight tornado watch). So the warm sector where all the best instability was located, was east of DC. Hence most of the tornadic activity being east of 95. 

Tomer Burg had a good thread about the setup on twitter Monday. Worth the read. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, boviscopophobic said:

Here is my footage of the Edgewater, MD tornado in the early afternoon. I should have also seen the Mullica Hill, NJ tornado but unfortunately botched my road planning.

That looked to be a multivortex as well, just like mullica hill, especially around 1:01 to 1:17 or so. 

ida exceeded Laura as a land falling hurricane, exceeded Ivan as a tornado producer for the Mid-Atlantic (if not for the DMV specifically) and seems to have rivaled Floyd (maybe even Agnes?) as a rain producer. Quite the trifecta. I was about to write that ida is the weather event of the 2020s, but then quickly remembered the Texas cold wave and storms and the NW heatwave. Both similarly extraordinary events. What a year for meteorological extremes.

EDIT: Wrote this before looking at the SPC reports page that still shows only five TOR reports. Surprised there aren’t more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weatherCCB said:

4.00” total.   most fell with that early morning super cell.  3.3” in 40 minutes.  Hardest rain I’ve ever witnessed in my 58 years here. 

West End I finished at 2.99". Trying to remember a harder Moco rain in my 40 and may test to agree - hardest ever.

13 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Crazy how areas of north NJ that saw so much rain from Henri also were bullseyed from Ida. Got to be some places with over 12” of rain in 2 weeks?

NYC broke their one-day rain total during Henri, just a week ago, only to break it again last night. 

Its as if the climate is changing

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, mappy said:

NYC broke their one-day rain total during Henri, just a week ago, only to break it again last night. 

Its as if the climate is changing

I got over 8 inches of rain last week and over 8 inches of rain last night.  

Now let's all get slammed in the winter :)

40 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Crazy how areas of north NJ that saw so much rain from Henri also were bullseyed from Ida. Got to be some places with over 12” of rain in 2 weeks?

We remember hurricane Agnes in 1972, which became the flood of record for many. But, we forget that it was preceded by other storms which made it a wet May/June.  One reason for Pax river flooding was that the WSSC reservoirs were high and lacked storage by the time Agnes hit in June.  

Trend, friend, and all that....as they say.

7 hours ago, boviscopophobic said:

Here is my footage of the Edgewater, MD tornado in the early afternoon. I should have also seen the Mullica Hill, NJ tornado but unfortunately botched my road planning.

Nicely done.  That's probably the best footage I've seen of the Edgewater/Annapolis tornado.  (And thanks for not yelling throughout the video!)

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic