22 minutes ago, mappy said:

This is FCPS yes? If so, what a horrible mistake not dismissing earlier 

Yep this is FCPS.

12 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Wait they dismissed on time? Boooooo...smh

Yep!

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

They did. Mrs J was posting about the chaos when she had to pick up her kid 

It was a shit show, excuse my French. And to add insult to injury Frederick County Sherriff has instructed all busses to go back to their school pick ups with kids that they could not get home. Parents are being instructed to pick up their children at the schools. FCPS has disabled all comments on their latest FB post. Hearing sirens all over. And raining again with a wind advisory. I want to know who made the final decision. This situation was known for days. 

• Like 3

Just now, Mrs.J said:

Yep this is FCPS.

Yep!

It was a shit show, excuse my French. And to add insult to injury Frederick County Sherriff has instructed all busses to go back to their school pick ups with kids that they could not get home. Parents are being instructed to pick up their children at the schools. FCPS has disabled all comments on their latest FB post. Hearing sirens all over. And raining again with a wind advisory. I want to know who made the final decision. This situation was known for days. 

Yikes. I hope parents call the county and raise hell. Not individual schools, but the county office. It was their call not to dismiss early despite other counties around them doing so.

what a mess

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Why would that be the secretary's fault even if it was for COVID...? Not her choice. My mom was an attendance secretary in MCPS for years and would get calls like "WELL WHEN IS THE SNOW STARTING?" "HOW DARE YOU CLOSE I'M INCONVENIENCED" - it was the most unpleasant part of her job. Thankfully she's retired now. 

Feels like that's similar to getting pissed off at the hostess for the chef poisoning your food...

Stop replying to this account. It’s just trolling.

1 minute ago, mappy said:

Yikes. I hope parents call the county and raise hell. Not individual schools, but the county office. It was their call not to dismiss early despite other counties around them doing so.

what a mess

Oh they are going to get an earful! I am one who usually gives them the benefit of the doubt, but this is unacceptable. What a horrible situation to put their drivers and students through. Just to get in a full day. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I'm sure someone in FredCo will say conditions were "unexpected" or some nonsense like that.  Always blame the forecasters.  

It's pathetic. We all knew for days that area was going to get pounded and was already susceptible for flooding given recent rain events.

As a whole, this event was very well forecasted. Yeah, the tornado threat around the cities didn't happen (thankfully), but to expect that kind of perfection isn't realistic and it was an almost flawless forecast.

24 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Yep this is FCPS.

Yep!

WUSA9 had someone on the phone from the sheriff's office who said that between the Thurmont incident, which required 3 boats, and all the other calls for water rescues they contacted FCPS and the emergency management department and told them to get the rest of the buses off the roads because the first responders were overtaxed and the last thing they needed was to have to do several more bus rescues, in his words, "of our most precious resources."

20 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Yep this is FCPS.

Yep!

That's awful...really is a shit-show all around.  I hope you got your kids out of there safely in all this.  That sounds more on the administration than the drivers.

Oh, and by the way, I forgive your French...especially if you had called it a "merde show"!!! :D

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

It's pathetic. We all knew for days that area was going to get pounded and was already susceptible for flooding given recent rain events.

As a whole, this event was very well forecasted. Yeah, the tornado threat around the cities didn't happen (thankfully), but to expect that kind of perfection isn't realistic and it was an almost flawless forecast.

Overall...isn't it kinda hard to get tornados in cities anyway? (buildings?)

Just now, 09-10 analogy said:

First thunder with any of the daytime cells

Same here, just heard a rumble for the first time today.  Now last night...different story with that cell that went through about 3AM!  Tons of lightning and thunder as well as a deluge of rain.  Several lightning strikes were very close...bright and followed immediately by very loud thunder.

3 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Same here, just heard a rumble for the first time today.  Now last night...different story with that cell that went through about 3AM!  Tons of lightning and thunder as well as a deluge of rain.  Several lightning strikes were very close...bright and followed immediately by very loud thunder.

Last night, for me, was the storm of the season. You get much wind? It prolly gusted to around 40-45 here for a bit

8 minutes ago, fourseasons said:

WUSA9 had someone on the phone from the sheriff's office who said that between the Thurmont incident and all the other calls for water rescues they contacted FCPS and the emergency response department and told them to get the rest of the buses off the roads because the first responders were overtaxed and the last thing they needed was to have to do several more bus rescues, in his words, "of our most precious commodities."

So it took the Sheriff's office to tell the transportation dept to get off the roads?!?! Insane!

5 minutes ago, 87storms said:

Baker park in Frederick has some legitimate flooding. I’m here right now. Carroll creek has had enough.

I bet! That flood system that they have now is awesome though. Takes flood waters under the city and dumps it outside the city. 

4 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

That's awful...really is a shit-show all around.  I hope you got your kids out of there safely in all this.  That sounds more on the administration than the drivers.

Oh, and by the way, I forgive your French...especially if you had called it a "merde show"!!! :D

Yes I got the girls out safely. Reminded them to watch the parking lot as it is the student lot. I was going to get them early but I take their friend home and was not sure I could get them permission to leave early. Felt so bad for all the walkers. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Last night, for me, was the storm of the season. You get much wind? It prolly gusted to around 40-45 here for a bit

Can't attest to the wind, but honestly I was in a daze after being awakened by the lightning and thunder so maybe didn't notice.  The rain sounded very hard on the windows, and I briefly wondered if there was hail embedded in there.

3 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Can't attest to the wind, but honestly I was in a daze after being awakened by the lightning and thunder so maybe didn't notice.  The rain sounded very hard on the windows, and I briefly wondered if there was hail embedded in there.

Oh wow...sounds like I fell asleep 10 mins too early...slept right through it!!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic