Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Ida's Remnants

SnowenOutThere

4 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

What happened to school starting AFTER labor day in MD?

If they kept to that schedule this nonsense wouldn't happen. ;)

And schools without working AC?  Yuck!  Granted when we were in school none of the buildings had AC but that was back when we had to walk through a foot of snow to school both ways, uphill. :P

I am glad our system started when they did, Aug 18th. Because now our kids get a June 1st last day. The last few years the last day has been around June 19th. Also my senior is super happy because her graduation date is May 26th which means she will be done with school around the second week of May. Seniors get out about 10-12 days before graduation. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

I am glad our system started when they did, Aug 18th. Because now our kids get a June 1st last day. The last few years the last day has been around June 19th. Also my senior is super happy because her graduation date is May 26th which means she will be done with school around the second week of May. Seniors get out about 10-12 days before graduation. 

last year was awful. our last day was June 22! Far too late in the summer to be getting out of school. So I am glad she went back this week vs next week. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Got a little water in the basement this morning after that deluge. That’s happened a handful of times since we moved in after the most intense rain. I don’t think I need to be too concerned? Just will clean it up and dry it out as best as possible.

Bummer.  Glad it isn't any worse.  Now you just have to worry about getting slabbed later.  We all do.

• Like 1

Just now, H2O said:

Bummer.  Glad it isn't any worse.  Now you just have to worry about getting slabbed later.  We all do.

Worry? I ready to see my neighbor get wedged. I've been waiting my whole life for that moment. Thank goodness for the deep web. I feel like im not alone anymore. I'm around the same weirdos when I'm here.

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

last year was awful. our last day was June 22! Far too late in the summer to be getting out of school. So I am glad she went back this week vs next week. 

Yep! The YMJ's birthday is the 20th. Their last day was the 18th due to the use of 3 snow days. She was like I better be out of school for my birthday. :lol:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, high risk said:

School systems would be very wise to have an early dismissal at noon.    It would be bad to potentially have to get kids home while there are active tornado warnings.

Agreed. Don't know about all of you, but the busses have been a mess getting kids home from school the first two days. Lots of 30-60 minute delays in arrival time, kids stops being missed, busses showing up late, bus drivers not knowing their routes, etc. Would be a disaster this afternoon. Honestly should let out at 11 to be safe given the chaos of the first two days. I think Harford is dismissing at 11.

20 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

What happened to school starting AFTER labor day in MD?

If they kept to that schedule this nonsense wouldn't happen. ;)

And schools without working AC?  Yuck!  Granted when we were in school none of the buildings had AC but that was back when we had to walk through a foot of snow to school both ways, uphill. :P

It turned into a political football instead of just doing what makes the most sense. My kid went back this weekend and then is off Monday and Tuesday next week. It's dumb. Just give the kids till after Labor Day. Frankly, I think the school year should also end right before Memorial Day as well. Just eliminate some off days during the school year and then toss the last week or so when almost all teachers have already gotten through all of their content and kids aren't doing anything anyway. But I digress.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

It turned into a political football instead of just doing what makes the most sense. My kid went back this weekend and then is off Monday and Tuesday next week. It's dumb. Just give the kids till after Labor Day. Frankly, I think the school year should also end right before Memorial Day as well. Just eliminate some off days during the school year and then toss the last week or so when almost all teachers have already gotten through all of their content and kids aren't doing anything anyway. But I digress.

They are off next Tuesday because its a Rosh Hashanah. That would happen regardless of whether they went back this week or next. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I agree and biggest thing is remove inclement weather "make up" days.  Especially now, those can be done virtually.

7 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

We're socked in with clouds pretty good. I'm not discounting a watch box later today or a brief spinny west of the bay, but I'm not enthused at the risk for a bigger tor in the immediate DC metro area.

Point accepted. However - we did just have a pretty well formed supercell track over a large portion of the area during the overnight period - with no sun. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

I agree and biggest thing is remove inclement weather "make up" days.  Especially now, those can be done virtually.

I'm actually kinda opposed to removing inclement weather days. Give the kids a chance to go out and play in the snow. Now, if it's an ice event or something like today, virtual would make sense to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stormfly said:

That would be a nope. All virtual instruction outside of our newly created Blended Virtual Program has been suspended. Even kids who have to quarantine only have access to their online assignments. No instruction is available outside of the physical buildings.  

• Sad 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic