Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Ida's Remnants

SnowenOutThere

55 minutes ago, mappy said:

BCPS sent out a message last night about the weather today and possible early dismissals. Will be curious to see what they do. Mini-map dismisses at 330, and if Ava's futurecast radar is even close to right, we will be in the middle of some storms during that time. 

Yea FCPS MD sent out a refresh of inclement weather procedure last night. I suspect a normal pick up time at 2:15. May be raining may not. Parent drop off line this year has been crazy due to parents not wanting their kids on busses. If it is raining all those walkers will be added into the mix. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mrs.J said:

Yea FCPS MD sent out a refresh of inclement weather procedure last night. I suspect a normal pick up time at 2:15. May be raining may not. Parent drop off line this year has been crazy due to parents not wanting their kids on busses. If it is raining all those walkers will be added into the mix. 

we dont have walkers to worry about, but buses/cars. its always organized chaos at school lol 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Got my Mom to get me out of school at 2 instead of 2 55 so she doesn't need to wait in the pick up line with the storms. Also wanted to get out of our under construction school before the really bad storm start.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Finally started to actually rain when I left for work. Achieved my max rate of .26"/ hr.  Lol.  

Up to .85" now.  Or about what fell in 10 minutes in the metro areas this morning.  So much for being NW.....

You got and are getting more than me.  Try to enjoy it just for once.  Please?

• Like 2

My kid's principal follows me on twitter, when I dropped mini-map off this morning, the principal and I chatted a bit. If the county doesn't dismiss early, and we do have storms at dismissal time, she will hold all students at school until its safe. I've been asked to email her later with updates. 

Oh to have made a name for myself as the weather nerd :lol: 

• Like 10
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, mappy said:

My kid's principal follows me on twitter, when I dropped mini-map off this morning, the principal and I chatted a bit. If the county doesn't dismiss early, and we do have storms at dismissal time, she will hold all students at school until its safe. I've been asked to email her later with updates. 

Oh yes. My ceo called me when he wanted to go golfing in an area so I could get him a detailed forecast. Fortunately, was usually easy, but unnerving to have him call me directly 

• Like 3

Just now, midatlanticweather said:

Oh yes. My ceo called me when he wanted to go golfing in an area so I could get him a detailed forecast. Fortunately, was usually easy, but unnerving to have him call me directly 

Ha! Is your CEO my health/safety guy at work? When I emailed him yesterday about today's threat he asked about playing golf today too hahahahahaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, high risk said:

School systems would be very wise to have an early dismissal at noon.    It would be bad to potentially have to get kids home while there are active tornado warnings.

I agree. Though I am glad my kid's principal is thinking ahead and will hold students if necessary. 

5 minutes ago, high risk said:

School systems would be very wise to have an early dismissal at noon.    It would be bad to potentially have to get kids home while there are active tornado warnings.

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

I agree. Though I am glad my kid's principal is thinking ahead and will hold students if necessary. 

my middle kid was supposed to have her first cross country race this afternoon and they cancelled it back on Monday due to the forecast.  Glad they did

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mappy said:

That would be good.     My worries are that some schools will end up under tornado warnings, and they usually bring the kids to interior hallways, and that kind of crowding is not what we want during a pandemic......

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

1300z SPC OTLK hits the tornadoes talk a bit harder 

Day 1 Convective Outlook  
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   0745 AM CDT Wed Sep 01 2021

Valid 011300Z - 021200Z

...THERE IS AN ENHANCED RISK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS THIS AFTERNOON
   THROUGH LATE EVENING ACROSS PARTS OF THE MID-ATLANTIC...

...THERE IS A SLIGHT RISK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS THIS
   AFTERNOON/EVENING INTO SOUTHEAST VA/NORTHERN NC...AND FROM WESTERN
   NE INTO SD...

...SUMMARY...
   Several tornadoes and occasional damaging winds appear probable
   across parts of the Mid-Atlantic as the remnants of Ida move through
   the region this afternoon through this evening. Isolated
   strong/severe storms may also occur across portions of the
   northern/central Plains.

...Mid-Atlantic this afternoon into this evening...
   The remnants of tropical cyclone Ida will move east-northeastward
   from southern WV across northern VA this afternoon to NJ and the
   southern New England coast overnight.  Mid 70s boundary-layer
   dewpoints are already present across the Delmarva to the south of a
   stalled front that will drift northward as a warm front today, and
   pockets of surface heating will help locally boost buoyancy during
   the day.  Low-midlevel vertical shear will increase some today with
   the approach of the Ida remnants, with effective bulk shear near 40
   kt and effective SRH  of 200-300 m2/s2.

A broken band/cluster of supercells will likely form immediately in
   advance of the cyclone moving along the baroclinic zone by early
   afternoon and then spread east-northeastward toward the coast
   through late evening/early tonight, with the baroclinic zone
   demarcating the northern edge of the more substantial tornado
   threat.  The combination of MLCAPE of 1500-2000 J/kg and the
   aforementioned vertical shear will support supercells capable of
   producing several tornadoes and occasional damaging gusts through
   late evening.  Low-level static stability and the exact cyclone
   track will determine the extent of any tornado threat tonight across
   Long Island and the immediate southern New England coast

1 minute ago, high risk said:

That would be good.     My worries are that some schools will end up under tornado warnings, and they usually bring the kids to interior hallways, and that kind of crowding is not what we want during a pandemic......

Im hopeful they early dismissal, because yeah the logistics aren't great. But I know staff will do their best given the situation. She goes to a great school, with good caring staff. 

18 minutes ago, mappy said:

That is like me with the younger Miss J's riding instructor. She will text me about putting the horses out for the overnight and for lessons. 

10 minutes ago, high risk said:

Yes that would be wise... will see what happens. 

• Like 3

Just now, Stormfly said:

What happened to school starting AFTER labor day in MD?

If they kept to that schedule this nonsense wouldn't happen. ;)

And schools without working AC?  Yuck!  Granted when we were in school none of the buildings had AC but that was back when we had to walk through a foot of snow to school both ways, uphill. :P

A few years ago the state legislature voted that counties can decide whats best based on the calendar instead of a blanket all counties start after labor day. It now just depends on when labor day falls on the calendar. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, high risk said:

yep. I told my girls to take an extra mask today to double up if it comes to that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic