Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Fall 2021 Banter.

HoarfrostHubb

19 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

I am getting a wood burning insert installed tomorrow. Plan was to see how much it would knock off our oil consumption this winter. Then make a plan to replace our oil furnace with some sort of heat pump system next year. However, just 2 weeks ago our oil tank developed a very small leak, $2500 to replace. Oil company put a temporary fix on the oil tank, but can't guarantee how long it will work. Thoughts on a heat pump system? I do have a 10.08 kW solar system.

Why not look into geothermal heating and cooling, especially since you have solar?

9 hours ago, Spanks45 said:

I am getting a wood burning insert installed tomorrow. Plan was to see how much it would knock off our oil consumption this winter. Then make a plan to replace our oil furnace with some sort of heat pump system next year. However, just 2 weeks ago our oil tank developed a very small leak, $2500 to replace. Oil company put a temporary fix on the oil tank, but can't guarantee how long it will work. Thoughts on a heat pump system? I do have a 10.08 kW solar system.

If you have solar then a heat pump is a no brainer.  There is no cheaper or cleaner source of heat then using 450% efficient heat pumps powered from the sun. Since my 6 year old panels reached their ROI my heat is essentially free. My Eversource bill is $9 month year round. 

There are huge rebates in CT for heat pumps. CT along with most of the New England states are leading the nation and pouring big money into converting people to heat pumps. My friend just got a $10k heat pump system that only cost him $4k after the state incentives and federal rebate. At current oil and gas prices and even with  CT's high electric rates a heat pump would save you more than 50% over oil even if you bought the electricity. 

https://energizect.com/your-home/rebates-and-incentives

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Why not look into geothermal heating and cooling, especially since you have solar?

I got a quote from Dandelion months back at close to 30 grand, tax rebate helps but it is still a large chunk of change on top of the solar/roof we had installed this year. They were also running 6-8 months behind at that point, so who knows where they are right now....There is a company in Eastern CT that installs geothermal, I may reach out to them and get a quote. I have a company giving me a quote for a Bosch modulating heat pump system next month. I honestly have no clue how much a system like that runs for my size house. 

9 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

It's a great system but expensive to install. What you getting for a wood stove Spanks?

It is definitely expensive, would love to have it installed over any other system, just not in the budget at the moment. We are getting a Regency i2450, my wife liked the look of something more traditional rather than having something flush mounted...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

I got a quote from Dandelion months back at close to 30 grand, tax rebate helps but it is still a large chunk of change on top of the solar/roof we had installed this year. They were also running 6-8 months behind at that point, so who knows where they are right now....There is a company in Eastern CT that installs geothermal, I may reach out to them and get a quote. I have a company giving me a quote for a Bosch modulating heat pump system next month. I honestly have no clue how much a system like that runs for my size house. 

Do you already have ductwork? If you do a whole house system like the bosch is definitely the way to go. 

The other upside of heat pumps is electricity is extremely stable in price as its regulated by the state. In CT the rates are changed on July 1st and Jan 1st. They are often increased or lowered by just 5-10%.  I just watched a billboard for heating oil go from $2.29 to over $3 in a few weeks. 

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

If you have solar then a heat pump is a no brainer.  There is no cheaper or cleaner source of heat then using 450% efficient heat pumps powered from the sun. Since my 6 year old panels reached their ROI my heat is essentially free. My Eversource bill is $9 month year round. 

There are huge rebates in CT for heat pumps. CT along with most of the New England states are leading the nation and pouring big money into converting people to heat pumps. My friend just got a $10k heat pump system that only cost him $4k after the state incentives and federal rebate. At current oil and gas prices and even with  CT's high electric rates a heat pump would save you more than 50% over oil even if you bought the electricity. 

https://energizect.com/your-home/rebates-and-incentives

My panels were installed the end of July, I finally got my first $9 electric bill this past month, with a 236 kwh banked...it is a great feeling, lol.

I am going to dig some more on brand names and companies that install them. My chimney flue is also degrading and needs to be replaced, so between that and the oil tank, I am already $5-6 grand into "fixing" the oil system that is already 14 years old. 

1 minute ago, BrianW said:

Do you already have ductwork? If you do a whole house system like the bosch is definitely the way to go. 

The other upside of heat pumps is electricity is extremely stable in price as its regulated by the state. In CT the rates are changed on July 1st and Jan 1st. They are often increased or lowered by just 5-10%.  I just watched a billboard for heating oil go from $2.29 to over $3 in a few weeks. 

Yes, we have central air....I do have room to add 5 panels to my solar system, so that can be upgraded down the road

1 hour ago, Spanks45 said:

Costs are up, yea. We’re going geo when our two ac units crap out in about 5yrs but I would like to go solar before then when we are ready for geo…just haven’t gotten the right bid from a company yet. Cameron at SunPower ghosted me and was a bit of an ahole too tbh. 

16 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Costs are up, yea. We’re going geo when our two ac units crap out in about 5yrs but I would like to go solar before then when we are ready for geo…just haven’t gotten the right bid from a company yet. Cameron at SunPower ghosted me and was a bit of an ahole too tbh. 

Sorry to hear about Cameron....He honestly was not my favorite, but they gave me the best deal for a sunpower install I could negotiate from 3 other installers....Their installation team was great, Cameron not so much....

1 hour ago, Spanks45 said:

Sorry to hear about Cameron....He honestly was not my favorite, but they gave me the best deal for a sunpower install I could negotiate from 3 other installers....Their installation team was great, Cameron not so much....

No worries Cory. Every company keeps telling me I need to cut down more trees and while I am all about having more sun on the property, less leaves to clean, less damage potential…I’m not willing to do it on my dime alone. I’m trying to get a company to meet me halfway but so far I don’t have much leverage. It seems like their business is booming so one customer is not that important to their bottom line.

2 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

That looks good, I have to get my garden going again next year.

It ended up being a great garden season despite the excessive rainfall. Definitely a lot of work, but well worth it. I have 3 kids that walk through and eat all of the fresh greens, all season long.....

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Anyone have any suggestions for parking at Gillette stadium tomorrow. Going to be my first game 

We usually take 495 and at the exit for Route 1 there's a restaurant, we'd eat there and the restaurant has a bus to shuttle you to the game. Haven't been in two years so not sure if they still do it. I'll lookup the name of the restaurant if you're interested. Cheaper parking and les hassle driving down route 1. If you plan on tailgating then it's not a good idea.

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Anyone have any suggestions for parking at Gillette stadium tomorrow. Going to be my first game 

Go at gate opening, park across the street before the crossing that empties the stadium . You can leave as they empty the lot . If you park near the crossing they hold everyone up. Lot 51 is where I park

Screenshot_20211023-180500_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

We usually take 495 and at the exit for Route 1 there's a restaurant, we'd eat there and the restaurant has a bus to shuttle you to the game. Haven't been in two years so not sure if they still do it. I'll lookup the name of the restaurant if you're interested. Cheaper parking and les hassle driving down route 1. If you plan on tailgating then it's not a good idea.

55 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Go at gate opening, park across the street before the crossing that empties the stadium . You can leave as they empty the lot . If you park near the crossing they hold everyone up. Lot 51 is where I park

Screenshot_20211023-180500_Chrome.jpg

Thanks…… We weren’t sure when we were supposed to go, but looks like earlier the better 

10 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Is there any advantage to parking further down route 1 and walking up to the stadium?

There is a Seasonal Store just about 1 mile south of the stadium, on the north side of Rt. 1, at the junction of Rt. 140 and Rt. 1 - 113 Washington St. in Foxboro. I park there when I want to get out quickly, I can turn on rt 140 and head to Walpole, missing all the Rt. 1 traffic; you could jump on 140 and head south, which would be convenient for you. If you can get a spot there you should be pretty good. If you are not parking at Gilette proper, find a lot south of the stadium, that way you do not have to crossover Rt. 1 traffic when you leave.