Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Fall 2021 Banter.

HoarfrostHubb

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07TSL3V6M?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

anyone use this, or know anyone who has?

as everyone knows, I’ve been battling my well water since we moved in. My hot water reeks, and my cold water seems fine. I was told to replace the hot water tank anode rod, as that can cause the smell, as it erodes quickly on well water.

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

as everyone knows, I’ve been battling my well water since we moved in. My hot water reeks, and my cold water seems fine. I was told to replace the hot water tank anode rod, as that can cause the smell, as it erodes quickly on well water.

Easy fix

15 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

No you never, ever do that . You never root for the arch rival. Even against cheaters like the Astros. And the main reason is because of the obnoxious Sox fans you have to listen to rub it in your face. Living in Red Sox nation they’re everywhere. No thanks . 

Yea. We never root for them unless we have a player on our fantasy team. Don’t think for one second that any diehard sox fan will ever root for the Yanks either. The line in the sand is permanent. 

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Steve will come over after the gtg to fix it for you. A few 10mg edibles will suffice. 

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Easy fix

44 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Steve will come over after the gtg to fix it for you. A few 10mg edibles will suffice. 

LOL… yeah… it seems pretty straightforward. Of course I have a Bradford white with an integrated anode so it’s more complicated, but I’m buying a sharkbite connection and just cutting the pipe.

The reviews are really good, especially for people with smelly hot water from wells 

5 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I had to get a filter

21 hours ago, mreaves said:

Just received my fuel oil delivery of the season.  I think my last delivery was in early March. I have double tanks and this delivery was 248 gallons at $3.07 per gallon.  Usually our first delivery is larger but the warm fall has certainly helped with that.

I assume you use a lot of oil with 2 tanks?You should look into installing a heat pump or mini split. You could cut down your oil usage big time and save a ton. Vermont has really good rebates on them. Vermont's electricity is also mostly from Hydro Quebec and way cheaper than other New England states.  

I just crunched some numbers on a fuel cost calculator using your $3.07 oil price compared to a good heat pump. Here are the cost per million BTU.

Fuel oil at $3.07 a gallon with 85% efficiency. $26.04

Mitsubishi Hyper Heat with COP of 4.5 powered from VT's .17 kwh electricity. $9.35.

Anyone with a heat pump should run one as much as they can this winter. With gas and oil at record prices they will be way cheaper to run this winter as you can see above.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I assume you use a lot of oil with 2 tanks?You should look into installing a heat pump or mini split. You could cut down your oil usage big time and save a ton. Vermont has really good rebates on them. Vermont's electricity is also mostly from Hydro Quebec and way cheaper than other New England states.  

I just crunched some numbers on a fuel cost calculator using your $3.07 oil price compared to a good heat pump. Here are the cost per million BTU.

Mitsubishi Hyper Heat with COP of 4.5 powered from VT's .17 kwh electricity. $9.35.

Anyone with a heat pump should run one as much as they can this winter. With gas and oil at record prices they will be way cheaper to run this winter as you can see above.

Side note: We’ve been trying to go solar but every company so far says I have too much shade and must cut down like $10k-$15k worth of trees in order to maximize the output. Of course, they aren’t willing to pay for it so it falls on us. Any advice on that aspect, and which company did you go with?

Just now, BrianW said:

I assume you use a lot of oil with 2 tanks?You should look into installing a heat pump or mini split. You could cut down your oil usage big time. Vermont has really good rebates on them. Vermont's electricity is also mostly from Hydro Quebec and way cheaper than other New England states.  

I use between 5-600 gallons per year.  It has gone down since I switched from oil domestic hot water to a hybrid hot water heater.  I want to get the heat pump eventually, just haven't done it yet.  The 2 tank set up was done by the previous owner.  He had switched the house from electric baseboard to oil hot water baseboard.  The boiler he installed was a 145,000 btu oil/wood/coal fired monstrosity that he had bought used from somewhere.  It was so inefficient that we had to keep the window in our bedroom cracked in winter because the heat going up the chimney through our bedroom closet made our room too warm even when it was only set at 65°.  I remember when that thing died.  It was March 2001, during one of the snowiest stretches ever.  There was so much snow that they couldn't take the old boiler out until mid-April.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Side note: We’ve been trying to go solar but every company so far says I have too much shade and must cut down like $10k-$15k worth of trees in order to maximize the output. Of course, they aren’t willing to pay for it so it falls on us. Any advice on that aspect, and which company did you go with?

It might be because of the state incentive. They probably did a site survey and they can very accurately model what your roof will produce. You probably have too much shade and the state bases the incentive off the estimated yearly production. Let's say there are 2 5kw systems on roofs. One is in full sun and will produce 6000 kwhs a year. The other is partially wooded and will produce 3500 kwhs. The full sun system will get the full state incentive of lets say $8k. The other only gets $3k and will take twice as long to payback. 

I used Aegis Solar a local company in Branford. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Putting on my tin-foil hat, 98.5 The Sports Hub is going off about the whistling before Astros hits last night and Dusty Baker wearing a smart watch. 

That's not the only tin foil hat excuse. During the game twitter was talking about Valdez touching something above his left eye every time he got a new baseball. As if umps aren't checking for substances. They just got beat plain and simple. The offense had been on a tear the last few weeks and was bound to go cold, and facing a junkballer and their second best pitcher on successive nights is a good catalyst for that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

That's not the only tin foil hat excuse. During the game twitter was talking about Valdez touching something above his left eye every time he got a new baseball. As if umps aren't checking for substances. They just got beat plain and simple. The offense had been on a tear the last few weeks and was bound to go cold, and facing a junkballer and their second best pitcher on successive nights is a good catalyst for that.

He was just flat out good last night. I noticed that but umps were routinely checking for substances between innings. Fox would show it just before breaks.

I didn't realize the Yankees complained about the whistling in the 2019 ALCS and MLB agreed but couldn't identify the source.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/report-mlb-confirmed-whistling-after-yankees-complained-in-alcs-unsure-if-astros-were-source-145808180.html#:~:text=According to Martino%2C MLB had,to have identified the whistling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mreaves said:

I use between 5-600 gallons per year.  It has gone down since I switched from oil domestic hot water to a hybrid hot water heater.  I want to get the heat pump eventually, just haven't done it yet.  The 2 tank set up was done by the previous owner.  He had switched the house from electric baseboard to oil hot water baseboard.  The boiler he installed was a 145,000 btu oil/wood/coal fired monstrosity that he had bought used from somewhere.  It was so inefficient that we had to keep the window in our bedroom cracked in winter because the heat going up the chimney through our bedroom closet made our room too warm even when it was only set at 65°.  I remember when that thing died.  It was March 2001, during one of the snowiest stretches ever.  There was so much snow that they couldn't take the old boiler out until mid-April.

Those wood/oil/coal combos seemed like a good thing at first, but the large firebox needed for the solid fuel destroyed the efficiency when burning oil.

We had the heat pump installed last November, got a $1,000 rebate and a one-time $500 tax credit from the IRS that knocked a big chunk out of the cost.  Used it mainly for AC so far but if oil keeps climbing we may burn more kilowatts this winter.  We're in the shade here, our southeast-facing house isn't ideal for solar, and with near 90" average snowfall and good retention I wonder if we'd need to be cleaning off the panels after each significant snowstorm, with attendant hazard for me and potential damage to them.

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

The crux of the financial markets and consumer inflation in one paragraph by David Einhorn 

Hasn't inflation always been here to stay?  I'm no economist, but isn't inflation kind of arbitrary / artificial, relative to wages?  Listened to these guys detail it a few months back, was relatively informative to me as a noob when it comes to this stuff.  https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-stuff-you-should-know-26940277/episode/what-causes-inflation-83185373/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Those wood/oil/coal combos seemed like a good thing at first, but the large firebox needed for the solid fuel destroyed the efficiency when burning oil.

We had the heat pump installed last November, got a $1,000 rebate and a one-time $500 tax credit from the IRS that knocked a big chunk out of the cost.  Used it mainly for AC so far but if oil keeps climbing we may burn more kilowatts this winter.  We're in the shade here, our southeast-facing house isn't ideal for solar, and with near 90" average snowfall and good retention I wonder if we'd need to be cleaning off the panels after each significant snowstorm, with attendant hazard for me and potential damage to them.

Run the heat pump as much as you can. It will save you a ton of money on oil. I think I recall you had a Mitsubishi Hyper Heat installed? 

Maines electricity is 79% renewable and the cheapest in New England.  That's why the state is aggressively deploying heat pumps. 

Here is a fuel cost comparison for Maine using the EIA statewide averages. Your cost may actually be lower as Maine has some areas that have real cheap electricity.

Cost per million btu.

Fuel oil at $3.10 a gallon with 85% efficiency. $26.04

Mitsubishi Hyper Heat with COP of 4.5 powered from Maines .14 kwh electricity. $9.33

3 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Run the heat pump as much as you can. It will save you a ton of money on oil. I think I recall you had a Mitsubishi Hyper Heat installed? 

Maines electricity is 79% renewable and the cheapest in New England.  That's why the state is aggressively deploying heat pumps. 

Here is a fuel cost comparison for Maine using the EIA statewide averages. Your cost may actually be lower as Maine has some areas that have real cheap electricity.

Cost per million btu.

Mitsubishi Hyper Heat with COP of 4.5 powered from Maines .14 kwh electricity. $9.33

My sister in Maine had the Mitsubishi's installed a couple years ago. Her furnace broke down and she used them for heat. She got the furnace fixed but I keep telling her to use the mini-splits instead of the furnace.. She has a nice wood stove too that helps quite a bit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrianW said:

Cost per million btu.

Last winter I set the unit so it wouldn't run until the woodstove was no longer providing sufficient heat.  40 years ago I'd have gotten up about 2:30 AM to reload the stove but I'm now content to burn kilowatts instead.  At any rate, the vast majority of our oil is for domestic hot water and for when we're away for a while.

9 hours ago, BrianW said:

Cost per million btu.

I am getting a wood burning insert installed tomorrow. Plan was to see how much it would knock off our oil consumption this winter. Then make a plan to replace our oil furnace with some sort of heat pump system next year. However, just 2 weeks ago our oil tank developed a very small leak, $2500 to replace. Oil company put a temporary fix on the oil tank, but can't guarantee how long it will work. Thoughts on a heat pump system? I do have a 10.08 kW solar system.