Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Fall 2021 Banter.

HoarfrostHubb

15 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

No way he fits in the glades. I feel like I don't even fit and I am 5'10". I always assumed @alex and @J.Spin were under 5' 5". :) 

My 7 year old fits way better in the trees than I do.

It’s true.  Put a large camera backpack on me and it gets real tight sometimes.  Skiing on 190cm skis doesn’t make it any easier, like driving trucks through the woods.  Get real good at punching branches out of the way.  Jealous of the kids who just bob and weave through the tight stuff.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I root for the Sox if the Yankees are out. Especially against the cheaters 

No you never, ever do that . You never root for the arch rival. Even against cheaters like the Astros. And the main reason is because of the obnoxious Sox fans you have to listen to rub it in your face. Living in Red Sox nation they’re everywhere. No thanks . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

No you never, ever do that . You never root for the arch rival. Even against cheaters like the Astros. And the main reason is because of the obnoxious Sox fans you have to listen to rub it in your face. Living in Red Sox nation they’re everywhere. No thanks . 

:violin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, PhineasC said:

When they bring you on a bus out to the tarmac to load on the plane via a staircase, you know you are in for a bumpy ride.

My first commercial flight was PQI-BGR on a 16-passenger airplane with the old Bar Harbor Airline in Feb 1976.  The pilot asked the passenger across from me to help raise the staircase.  :lol:  Took off into a snow squall that had the aircraft dancing then climbed to 12k (I could see the altimeter) where turbulence was less, but the descent to BGR was quite rocky.
However, my later rides in light aircraft - Cessna 185s/206s, sometimes on floats - included some interesting moments.  On a very windy day flying from Chesuncook to Baxter, our 206 on floats was turned nearly on edge as we passed Soubunge Mt, I've hit my head on the ceiling of a 185 while firmly belted (no idea how that was possible) and in 1994 we heard gear bouncing off the walls behind us as we hit transverse rolls created by the Bigelow range.  I noted that the pilot chopped speed from 130 kt to 90 real quick.  On the ground I noted that fact and he deadpanned, "I thought it better if the wings remained attached to the airplane."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SouthCoastMA said:

I'm all set flying in anything smaller than a 737. And the only way I'm going in a helicopter is if its a medivac, without a choice. 

My only time up in one was to shoot photos at the ski area and I was in the front seat with the doors removed and one leg hanging out.  They decided we couldn’t take photos and videos from the helicopter through windows so I see the pilot removing the doors and he just goes “don’t drop anything or it’s gone.”

The whole time I’m just praying the seatbelt harness holds since when the helo would turn, I’d be looking straight down on the mountain with no door or anything between me and the forest 2,000 feet below.  Ridge top winds as we’d approach the top were hammering the craft too.  Definitely one of the more “cowboy” feeling things I’ve ever done.  Flying around this little chopper with no doors, trying not to drop my phone or camera into the parking lot or golf course.

D6C5C749-1AA5-40E9-A122-909A54AAEEFB.jpeg.1fd024673176603338cc722e4b104fb2.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

PF:
Sounds like the airplane trip I'm glad I missed when I worked up north.  Co-workers were trying out 35 mm color infrared film to spot softwood seedlings otherwise invisible beneath raspberries, flying in early May between snowmelt and leaf-out.  With no camera bracket, the photographer (our research forester) had to hold it while leaning out the open window, as the pilot was flying in circles wingtip down to enable a vertical shot.  At 2000' it wasn't awful but when they went down to 500' the circles were so tight (with the stall horn blaring!) that the pilot began to feel ill and zipped over to the St. John to rest on floats for a few minutes.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, tamarack said:

PF:
Sounds like the airplane trip I'm glad I missed when I worked up north.  Co-workers were trying out 35 mm color infrared film to spot softwood seedlings otherwise invisible beneath raspberries, flying in early May between snowmelt and leaf-out.  With no camera bracket, the photographer (our research forester) had to hold it while leaning out the open window, as the pilot was flying in circles wingtip down to enable a vertical shot.  At 2000' it wasn't awful but when they went down to 500' the circles were so tight (with the stall horn blaring!) that the pilot began to feel ill and zipped over to the St. John to rest on floats for a few minutes.

Ha yeah low flying circles angling and looking straight down on the ground from 2kft up is quite the trip.  Again as a tall, wide shoulder Scandinavian I was a tight fit and I remember my knee bumping something in the center console and the pilot reaching over to fix something while going “Hey, try not to hit that again.”  I remember being terrified and  “Absolutely boss, I’ll just keep my legs outside the craft.” 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Anyone here use Dead River for heating oil? The guys where I get mine retired and sold everything off to them. Just curious how their pricing is compared to the competition.

Compare cash heating oil prices for New Hampshire (cheapestoil.com

Heating Oil Prices NH - New Hampshire - NewEnglandOil.com

3 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Maybe give them a call to find out their price and then compare to those listed on the links

Yeah that was the plan, but I was hoping someone here had used them and had a review to provide. I used AD&G out of Franklin for a decade and loved them. Whenever we got low I'd call and they were there within a couple of hours...there was never really a need to lock into any recurring fixed plans. I usually try to get filled when the driveway thaws out a bit too since it can be a disaster for the trucks when it's glaciated. We got the letter in the mail out of the blue yesterday saying our account was transferred there...just wanted to research them out before I commit to them.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

My only time up in one was to shoot photos at the ski area and I was in the front seat with the doors removed and one leg hanging out.  They decided we couldn’t take photos and videos from the helicopter through windows so I see the pilot removing the doors and he just goes “don’t drop anything or it’s gone.”

The whole time I’m just praying the seatbelt harness holds since when the helo would turn, I’d be looking straight down on the mountain with no door or anything between me and the forest 2,000 feet below.  Ridge top winds as we’d approach the top were hammering the craft too.  Definitely one of the more “cowboy” feeling things I’ve ever done.  Flying around this little chopper with no doors, trying not to drop my phone or camera into the parking lot or golf course.

D6C5C749-1AA5-40E9-A122-909A54AAEEFB.jpeg.1fd024673176603338cc722e4b104fb2.jpeg

Did a glider ride in Stowe a couple years ago, its not only claustrophobic I left my stomach somewhere in the hills. He started off slowly gliding then started swooping around. Overall fun but won't do it again.

2 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Did a glider ride in Stowe a couple years ago, its not only claustrophobic I left my stomach somewhere in the hills. He started off slowly gliding then started swooping around. Overall fun but won't do it again.

Yeah my wife and I have done it.

Unfortunately no one will be gliding again because the owner and a couple from CT were killed a few years ago when the glider crashed in a downburst above 3,000ft in a remote part of the Greens a few peaks north of Mansfield.  NTSB blamed weather, and friends with Stowe Mountain Rescue who located them said it was just straight down rapid deceleration into the spruce forest.

I’ll always remember that day as only three of us were left at Mtn Ops late that afternoon when we got a call from Police if we could do a hasty search of Spruce Peak at the ski area.  State Police cell phone pings were last noted over Spruce and they thought he might’ve tried to land on a wide open ski slope if they got into trouble.  We searched on ATV and side by sides until a spotter plane flying out of Morrisville located the glider down a few summits north.

That glider made 3-5 trips per day for like 6 months a year… freak accident but weather in the mountains will do that with summer convective thermals/updrafts/downdrafts.

• Sad 1

When I lived and worked at a Boca Raton Country Club one of the generous members I trained offered to fly me to My friends in Orlando in his 2 seat Cessna (I believe) he mentioned /bragged that we would be safe because his plane had a large parachute that would deploy in a emergency . Was a very cool feeling flying at nite in that craft . Conditions were so dead calm that you wouldn’t even know the thing was moving (once it reached whatever altitude it did) just a calm dark flight w little in the way of lighting until we approached the airport where my friend worked . Was not a stressful or bumpy ride

At one point ..I extended my legs and sort of stretched and the plane definitely moved/ operated differently for that moment as my feet reached some pedals (apparently they were on Both sides  and “live” as I guess it made it easier for this guy to learn  from a instructor ) , he half joked “don’t do that” and I was thinking “ok well may wanna mention that first” 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

American League East guy sorry.