Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Fall 2021 Banter.

HoarfrostHubb

38 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Individual states mandated the extra unemployment money, As an example here, Max benefits was in the $440/wk range plus the extra $600/wk, The avg joe here is not making $1,040/wk so are they going to work for there $4-600/wk or stay home for 1,040? Pretty simple math.

Yes but those folks would be included in unemployment numbers.  Why is/was unemployment so low in many states (especially ones relying more on service industry than others) if everyone just takes the free money?  It makes total sense what you are saying and sure some did, but there has to be stats to back it up somewhere if it occurred that much.

47 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

If you stop looking for a job for more than 4 weeks, you're no longer counted in the statistics the DOL puts out monthly.

Yeah but you also lose unemployment benefits too.

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

No, but the rise in wages has not followed a similar path that it did years ago, that’s not debatable. Gone are the days when mom could stay at home with 6 kids on pa’s salary from the hardware store.

We consumed less, traveled less, had less expensive toys. Different era

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

No, but the rise in wages has not followed a similar path that it did years ago, that’s not debatable. Gone are the days when mom could stay at home with 6 kids on pa’s salary from the hardware store.

Cost of living expenses have gone thru the roof.

College up about ..2000% in 30 years ?

House prices up 300-350% in 30 years 

Health care costs ..ditto 

Does the CPI index used by the government to adjust social security / cost of living increases index itself accurately to those factors . Negative . Designed to undercount . Owners equivalent rent is a embarrassment to represent annual increase in buying / owning a home costs 

29 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Notice each one of those sectors are hiring but having trouble finding people.  Where did the people go? Certainly is an enigma. 

That’s the great question.  And if they aren’t in the unemployment statistics… just not working?  I do think we saw mass retirements as well but that can’t explain it. Here working age individuals seem normal but we lost all the part-time help, retirees keeping busy, college kids, high school kids, people with money from previous careers that just want to hang out at a ski resort (we’ve had previous CEOs, car dealership owners, others who built a business and sold it, former stock brokers who move to the mtns in their 50s in mid-life crisis, etc).  All those are gone.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That’s the great question.  And if they aren’t in the unemployment statistics… just not working?  I do think we saw mass retirements as well but that can’t explain it. Here working age individuals seem normal but we lost all the part-time help, retirees keeping busy, college kids, high school kids, people with money from previous careers that just want to hang out at a ski resort (we’ve had previous CEOs, car dealership owners, others who built a business and sold it, former stock brokers who move to the mtns in their 50s in mid-life crisis, etc).  All those are gone.

Is there a age breakdown of the groups who left work force . Is it 21-31 year olds 

Half joking but People maybe moving back home W parents   Half the parents these days don’t want to upset their kids feelings , so they are like “he just moved home so he can focus on his new career” as a dog walker or musician or stock trader ...who knows 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Is there a age breakdown of the groups who left work force . Is it 21-31 year olds 

Half joking but People maybe moving back home W parents   Half the parents these days don’t want to upset their kids feelings , so they are like “he just moved home so he can focus on his new career” as a dog walker or musician or stock trader ...who knows 

I think college being remote last year absolutely lost that age group that would be at UVM, St Mike’s, Northern VT universities.  Hopefully they come back.  I was at UVM yesterday for a job fair and it was encouraging… students coming back and staying here this winter.  Looking for ski pass and weekend work at “fun” jobs like ski instructors or lift ops.

Older demographic and young are missing… like 22-45 ages seem normal.  High school, college and retiree or older crowd with money having midlife crisis or just moving north.  Like 50-60 years old, who moved north after making money elsewhere, gets bored hanging out with wife all the time, decides to come hang out with young people at a ski area.  Surprising amount of those folks.

I had a guy work for me who owned a seat on Wall Street floor.  Just wanted to stay busy but didn’t need money.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

This is what’s going on in the Northeast and perhaps on the West Coast.  I had a kid late in life but I know a lot of people my age you have their 20 something kids back at home living with them as a family unit.

This allows them to only work part time and be more particular with what jobs they take.  
I also know younger folks who are becoming more creative with how they share house in apartment space to help reduce the rent.

My neighbor is a sergeant on the Greenfield PD and he said they are having a terrible time finding officers to do traffic details.  Even at the stunning hourly rates for details he said a lot of the younger cops are just not interested because, they are already happy with the amount of money they’re making and their lifestyle.  
I guess I don’t blame them. Anyway, he said they are begging retired officers around here to come back to part time detail duty because the situation is so bad.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Individual states mandated the extra unemployment money, As an example here, Max benefits was in the $440/wk range plus the extra $600/wk, The avg joe here is not making $1,040/wk so are they going to work for there $4-600/wk or stay home for 1,040? Pretty simple math.

And Biden does not control the individual states either, esp before he was elected.  I had only pointed out the timeline as your post was in response to one related to blaming Biden.  I don't think you are actually disagreeing me but..

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Yes but those folks would be included in unemployment numbers.  Why is/was unemployment so low in many states (especially ones relying more on service industry than others) if everyone just takes the free money?  It makes total sense what you are saying and sure some did, but there has to be stats to back it up somewhere if it occurred that much.

Yeah but you also lose unemployment benefits too.

I'm only going by Maine and we took a beating the last 2 yrs.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, klw said:

And Biden does not control the individual states either, esp before he was elected.  I had only pointed out the timeline as your post was in response to one related to blaming Biden.  I don't think you are actually disagreeing me but..

Where did i mention Biden?

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I have owned one for 30yrs, Your take would be a lot different if you did, Just the cost of healthcare is enough to put a company in a compromised position, I won't even go down the rabbit hole on the rest, And just to be on the record, If you worked for me, Your getting fair compensation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PhineasC said:

People living very frugally in poorer areas can do it easily. 

It's a big issue up here. I have talked to several tradesmen who are already shut down for the winter. They can live off a couple grand for that time.  

These guys aren't living in 600k McMansions in SE Mass driving brand new Yukon Denalis.

Jeep Grand Cherokee L’s. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Growing up we had 6 kids and my parents living in a two family they owned with my aunt and uncle, only my father worked at the post office and we were fine. Went on vacation once a year, York Beach was popular. I think the mortgage was $74 and they split that with my aunt and uncle. We didn't have a lot but ate well and had fun, those days are gone.

6 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We were able to secure the same number of gallons of heating oil as the previous year for only about $16 per month more than the previous season (which wasn't bad).

The mild temps this autumn will help as well for my house

I'm going to burn a lot of wood this year, I have about 8 cords ready so I'll use very little oil.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

What a complete shitshow the Mass RMV is.   

I have never had any real negative interaction with them until now.  We have been watching them send my mother in law to an early grave.  

We have noticed a lot of state and local stuff is pretty messed up now. Vehicle registrations, tax forms, driver's licenses, court system, 9/11 services. Lot of stories out there now of long waits and disastrously poor service/response time. 

I think there is a wave of issues that were kicked down the road during COVID that are now appearing one after the other.

I'm sure I am not alone in seeing this.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

We have noticed a lot of state and local stuff is pretty messed up now. Vehicle registrations, tax forms, driver's licenses, court system, 9/11 services. Lot of stories out there now of long waits and disastrously poor service/response time. 

I think there is a wave of issues that were kicked down the road during COVID that are now appearing one after the other.

I'm sure I am not alone in seeing this.

Yep get the feeling nobody gives a shit anymore. All Govt is a major nightmare to deal with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

I have owned one for 30yrs, Your take would be a lot different if you did, Just the cost of healthcare is enough to put a company in a compromised position, I won't even go down the rabbit hole on the rest, And just to be on the record, If you worked for me, Your getting fair compensation.

How big a company?  I take issue with the likes of Walmart that are receiving billions in Federal subsidies while the Walton Family are all multi-billionaires and they screw their workers over.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yep get the feeling nobody gives a shit anymore. All Govt is a major nightmare to deal with.

The gov't agencies were a pain in the a** on good days in the past... pre-COVID a DMV experience here was 1-2 hours (BTV), but if you drove up to Newport on the Canadian border you could do it in 15 minutes, ha.  Afterwards I haven't even tried.  They still mailed me my new license and our registration cards renewed online fine and arrived in the mail.  I remember waiting in the Albany DMV to get my learners permit for over 2 hours decades ago.

The employees are always nice but like anything that seems to be running at the break point there can be hassles. 

• Like 1

Accidentally killed one of my favorite chickens tonight. She somehow broke her top beak on 10/4 and we've been trying to hand feed her since until she got the hang of eating differently. Tonight we put a little too much wet feed down her and it went down her wind pipe and suffocated her. She's the only one of my chickens that would jump on my lap daily to be pet and she was the top of the pecking order.

I feel absolutely sick about it right now. This is a tragic hobby sometimes.

RIP Rose

• Sad 21