Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Fall 2021 Banter.

HoarfrostHubb

6 minutes ago, klw said:

Two peepeh moves observed yesterday:

1.  Downtown Burlington middle of the day on a two lane road a block from the bus station.  Two cars from Maine were parked on the side of the road.  The rear one pulls out and pulls just ahead of the other and stops in the travel lane to wait for the other.  Meanwhile stuck behind this are 6 other vehicle including two busses.  Despite honking by the bus the car just stays in the travel lane which then also blocked in the second Maine car.  The other traffic including both busses have to cross into the oncoming lane to get around.  Once everyone passes, 2nd Maine car pulls out and they go on their way.

2.  I-89 South at exit 7 there is a workzone due to bridge repairs.  There are 7 sets of signs over the mile before the workzone and exit saying the right lane is for exit only and through traffic goes to the left lane.  Mass plated car was behind me.  I go out into left lane, it comes up behind right as we near the work zone.  I slow as the work zone is tight and has a 50mph limit.  Mass car goes to right line, doesn't slow, goes 80 % of the way up the exit ramp before pulling left in front of me.  Sped through work zone.  This happens probably 3 of the 5 days I drive through it each week.

Pretty sure these were Masshole transplants

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

do you really think they're getting 40 hour weeks 

No, they are likely getting more.  7-day a week operations but they have had to close some days due to short staffing levels.  So maybe not.  Closed Tuesdays due to lack of staff.  11am-9pm for 10-hour shifts.

10 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

The only thing Biden has done so far is give (some of) us $1400 checks 10 months ago. Seems pretty unlikely that was the straw that broke the labor market and caused all this inflation.

Cutting back on the extra unemployment over a year ago would have went a long ways to not having this current issue.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

The only thing Biden has done so far is give (some of) us $1400 checks 10 months ago. Seems pretty unlikely that was the straw that broke the labor market and caused all this inflation.

It’s all wrapped together pal.  When he cancelled the XL pipeline on Day one…that was the start, make no mistake of that. And lots of other boneheaded moves has taken it from there. 

• Like 2

Keystone XL has nothing to do with current energy prices. It wasn't going to be finished for years anyway.

Biggest reason energy prices are high right now is because shale drillers are actually returning capital to their shareholders rather than increasing production at wild rates. 

Just look at what US E&P companies are saying in their public statements, whether it's $FANG, $MTDR, $OVV, etc... It's all about returning $$$ to shareholders, not getting in a dick measuring about how many BBLs you're increasing production by...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Your not getting people to go to work for 17-18/hr when they can sit on there azz at home and make that.

There’s been no difference in the service/tourism/hospitality industries between during extra unemployment money and afterwards… at least not yet.  Unemployment rates returned to lower than 2012-2016 last winter…. Even though free money continued through September 1st.

There has to be something more going on than just blaming gov’t stimulus money.

All last winter the unemployment rate plummeted despite stimulus.

If anything unemployment looks not tied to stimulus at all… it looks tied to vaccination availability and rates.  Lowest unemployment rates hit when the vaccine became widely available last spring which is something I hadn’t noticed before.

E748B34C-86ED-4F0C-BB46-5EAC79E13D91.thumb.jpeg.9a10eb8929456c6a0237aa3f1ff9cebe.jpeg

We are bottomed out again on unemployment rate all summer and still vastly understaffed in all facets of hospitality/tourism/service/restaurants, etc.

1CE74D6B-85DD-4292-858B-81B6E438DA12.thumb.jpeg.4d0fef783eee0622803714954251c626.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

There’s been no difference in the service/tourism/hospitality industries between during extra unemployment money and afterwards… at least not yet.  Unemployment rates returned to lower than 2012-2016 last winter…. Even though free money continued through September 1st.

There has to be something more going on than just blaming gov’t stimulus money.

All last winter the unemployment rate plummeted despite stimulus.

E748B34C-86ED-4F0C-BB46-5EAC79E13D91.thumb.jpeg.9a10eb8929456c6a0237aa3f1ff9cebe.jpeg

We are bottomed out again on unemployment rate all summer and still vastly understaffed in all facets of hospitality/tourism/service/restaurants, etc.

1CE74D6B-85DD-4292-858B-81B6E438DA12.thumb.jpeg.4d0fef783eee0622803714954251c626.jpeg

People are sitting on the sidelines and will come back when they feel safe to and are being paid what they feel they are worth through salaries, benefits, health insurance, paid medical leave, paid holiday, personal time, vacations.

All industries have been hit but the Service Industry has been the hardest hit and these workers historically have not been treated well by employers.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

People are sitting on the sidelines and will come back when they feel safe to and are being paid what they feel they are worth through salaries, benefits, health insurance, paid medical leave, paid holiday, personal time, vacations.

All industries have been hit but the Service Industry has been the hardest hit and these workers historically have not been treated well by employers.

How do you avoid being added to the unemployment rate but sit on the sidelines?  Leave the work force entirely?  I know a lot of people retired earlier than they had planned but hung up their coats and checked out.  Truly curious if I’m missing something.  This thread made me look at the numbers and the unemployment rate seems to follow the vaccine rollouts very closely, not stimulus payments.

Honestly never noticed that before. The rates hit lowest points in the late winter/spring when vaccine became available to all people.  That correlation between vaccine and unemployment would seem to support you’re idea they come back when felt safe to do so, vs milking stimulus payments.

I want to stay out of political territory but like talking about the economy.

Just now, powderfreak said:

How do you avoid being added to the unemployment rate but sit on the sidelines?  Truly curious if I’m missing something.  This thread made me look at the numbers and the unemployment rate seems to follow the vaccine rollouts very closely, not stimulus payments.

Honestly never noticed that before. The rates hit lowest rates in the late winter/spring when vaccine became available to all people.  That correlation between vaccine and unemployment would seem to support you’re idea they come back when felt safe to do so.

I want to stay out of political territory but like talking about the economy.

If you stop looking for a job for more than 4 weeks, you're no longer counted in the statistics the DOL puts out monthly.

10 minutes ago, klw said:

Biden wasn't the Presdent over a year ago.

Individual states mandated the extra unemployment money, As an example here, Max benefits was in the $440/wk range plus the extra $600/wk, The avg joe here is not making $1,040/wk so are they going to work for there $4-600/wk or stay home for 1,040? Pretty simple math.

24 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Individual states mandated the extra unemployment money, As an example here, Max benefits was in the $440/wk range plus the extra $600/wk, The avg joe here is not making $1,040/wk so are they going to work for there $4-600/wk or stay home for 1,040? Pretty simple math.

Working for $400 per week would suck for many.    For a high school kid living in a low cost area maybe but not for most adults. 

39 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I kind of agree. It’s hard to feel bad for the sob stories of these businesses who have been paying people dirt wages for decades. If wages increased over time, this wouldn’t be an issue.

And to top it all off, most of those places don’t over vacation or sick time, and intentionally skirt hour rules to avoid offering health insurance. 

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I kind of agree. It’s hard to feel bad for the sob stories of these businesses who have been paying people dirt wages for decades. If wages increased over time, this wouldn’t be an issue.

And to top it all off, most of those places don’t over vacation or sick time, and intentionally skirt hour rules to avoid offering health insurance. 

Have you ever owned a company?

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

On a completely unrelated note, were stink bugs/potato bugs/ whatever they are called always so prolific and large?  
I don’t recall them growing up. 

2001 was the 1st time they were ever observed in the US, in PA.  They're an invasive species.

https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/veg/bean/brown_marmorated_stink_bug.htm

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

US unemployment is down to 4.8%.  Not amazing but not terrible.   But we do know those numbers are very misleading.    Typically if you have less than 5% it is decent.  
Wages and inflation is the bigger issue.   They really need to tame the latter.  

Read the last line on each paragraph about the difference from Feb 2020.

Screenshot_20211014-161111_EBookDroid.jpg