Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Fall 2021 Banter.

HoarfrostHubb

On 10/5/2021 at 11:26 PM, powderfreak said:

LFG!  Red Sox.  Season is a total success now regardless of what happens in the division series.

What a game.  They showed up in a big way tonight. 

We'll see. I just haven't had a good feeling about this team all year. Right now just hoping they don't get swept by Tampa and go from there...and the there's the J.D. ankle wildcard. Will he be available and viable? But yeah after eliminating the yankees there's a certain sweet taste to the season no matter what!

12 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

A lot of country is great.. not all but Luke Combs, Blake . Etc .  they’re fantastic. Pop stuff like Dan and Shay , Thomas Rhett etc.. no thanks . 
Stapleton to me is not really country . More southern rock .. but he does a ton of slower, bluesy stuff . The Maggie song about the dog brings a tear to the eye every single time you hear it when you think about your own dog . To a man 

Luke Combs, Eric Church are probably the two country artists where I can listen to their entire song history. Other artists have a couple to a few songs here and there that I really like.

I don't have children, but this song by Elvis Shane, recently released to the radio, brings a tear to my eye for some reason. 

5 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

I like Eric Church (and some of Luke Combs' songs) but can't stand the Luke Bryan types. 

I'm a big fan of the red dirt scene... Guys/bands like Wade Bowen, Randy Rogers Band, Turnpike Troubadors (RIP), etc...

Love them, along with Tyler Childers, Ryan Bingham, Blackberry Smoke, Whiskey Meyers.  There so much better Country out there once you get away from all of the Pop Country stations 

On 10/4/2021 at 11:05 AM, dryslot said:

Retroactive laws BS, Its a yes vote period to stop the Mills corridor, They hacked a 51 mile stretch of land right thru wildlife areas and over leased property that the Mill's own, She rammed it thru on her executive order without going to the legislature for a vote.

Mills was apparently once against the corridor, perhaps because then-Governor LePage was head-over-heels in favor, though during her campaign for gov. she was up front in favor.  LePage's enthusiasm led to an unconstitutional (according to a recent ruling from a Superior Court judge) act when he had Parks and Lands sign a lease with CMP for a section of NECEC on north public lot on West Forks.  Constitutional amendment 164, passed 73%-27% by citizen referendum in 1993, states among other things that Bureau-managed lands involved in any lease issued by the Bureau of Public Lands (now Bureau of Parks and Lands) "may not be reduced [sold/traded] or its uses substantially altered except on the vote of 2/3 of all the members elected to each House."  Perhaps anticipating an adverse reaction, Gov. LePage had the lease signed w/o consulting the legislature.  (As Governor, he frequenting made or tried to make end runs around the legislature.)  Current Governor Mills continued/enabled the process on her watch 
Opinions will differ, but changing the use from well-managed commercial forest to powerline R-O-W passes my smell test for "substantially altered".  The retro part of the question aims to correct this apparently unconstitutional act.  It's not much different from someone building illegally in a protection zone and then having to dismantle the structure at owner's expense.  (Not infrequently, people do this under the "possession is nine-tenths of the law" philosophy.)

Once a flatlander always a flatlander though.  I've been 15 years now and I'm still one.  

Humorist Tim Sample once told of Chester Atwood (or some such made-up name) moved with his parents to Maine when he was 6 months old.  All his adult life he was miffed that, even with his early arrival, he was never considered a native Mainer.  When he died at the ripe old age of 97, his tombstone epilogue was "He was almost one of us"

Personally, in my 48 years since moving up from NNJ I've only had one incident like that and it was from a State Senator with an axe to grind.  Key seems to be never pretending that one is a native.

• Haha 1

On 10/5/2021 at 2:49 PM, CoastalWx said:

They rammed a Nat Gas compressor station down our throats in the middle of a highly populated area to help Maine and points NE. Mow it down.

I think most of Maine's Nat Gas, at lease for points a ways north of PWM, comes thru the Maritimes corridor from the St. John, NB supertanker port.

As for NIMBYs, at the Farmington public meeting about NECEC, attendees were overwhelmingly against it.  (Same occurred in most other nearby towns.)  Meanwhile, the state's biggest (by an order of magnitude) solar array is approaching completion in that town, and had only minor opposition.

Eric Fisher (@ericfisher) Tweeted:
Just got the final wrap on September from @bhobservatory. Warm and humid, as I'm sure you noticed, but just outside the Top 10. Finished 11th warmest on record. 

Also 4th most humid, by measure of average water vapor pressure https://t.co/27MZMKIVao

One of the most humid, stickiest Septembers of all time. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, bch2014 said:

I like Eric Church (and some of Luke Combs' songs) but can't stand the Luke Bryan types. 

I'm a big fan of the red dirt scene... Guys/bands like Wade Bowen, Randy Rogers Band, Turnpike Troubadors (RIP), etc...

Check out Slaid Cleaves.

Great "underground country" singer and song writer.   

• Like 1

@Ginx snewx

You must have worked with puppies and had to tube feed. Can you recommend a large feeding tube that would let wet mashed chicken feed pass through? This girl somehow lost her entire top beak Monday and it’s a struggle for me trying to feed her myself. She can’t eat on her own right now until she learns to scoop her food. The only thing she can manage is grapes and even that’s a struggle. 
5CE2BD3F-5236-4DC6-A6C8-5295C8F9475A.jpeg

• Sad 5

6 hours ago, dendrite said:

@Ginx snewx

You must have worked with puppies and had to tube feed. Can you recommend a large feeding tube that would let wet mashed chicken feed pass through? This girl somehow lost her entire top beak Monday and it’s a struggle for me trying to feed her myself. She can’t eat on her own right now until she learns to scoop her food. The only thing she can manage is grapes and even that’s a struggle. 
5CE2BD3F-5236-4DC6-A6C8-5295C8F9475A.jpeg

Brian sorry to hear. I would try a big syringe first. Tube feeders are available online but it's a hairy situation.

https://www.adelaidechickensittingservice.com/blog/assisted-feed-pre-crop-feeding-for-a-sick-chicken

13 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Brian sorry to hear. I would try a big syringe first. Tube feeders are available online but it's a hairy situation.

https://www.adelaidechickensittingservice.com/blog/assisted-feed-pre-crop-feeding-for-a-sick-chicken

Yeah I don’t think I can go that route. There’s no way my girl will sit that still for me either. I just want to be able to get a small amount of food into her mouth at a time and let her swallow on her own…not stuff a tube down into her crop. 

I got a good 6-10 sardine tails in her last night, but she needs more throughout the day. Hopefully she realizes she needs to bite and not peck her food now. 

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Yeah I don’t think I can go that route. There’s no way my girl will sit that still for me either. I just want to be able to get a small amount of food into her mouth at a time and let her swallow on her own…not stuff a tube down into her crop. 

I got a good 6-10 sardine tails in her last night, but she needs more throughout the day. Hopefully she realizes she needs to bite and not peck her food now. 

Might be a stupid question but will the beak grow back?

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

Having seen vets buzzing beaks of parrots to avoid overgrowth, I'd guess affirmatively though I've no idea how long it would take.

I don’t think this will grow back…it’s too high up. It broke right through the quick up to the jaw. If it does grow back it’d take a pretty long time to get back to a useable length. 

Let's hope there is progress in this. I know a ton of people who's lives have been messed up from Lyme.

Drug treatment for Lyme disease could lead to its eradication

The discovery that a chemical is deadly to the bacterium that causes Lyme disease but harmless to animals might allow the disease to be eradicated in the wild.

“Lyme disease is well-positioned to be eradicated,” says Kim Lewis at Northeastern University in Boston. “We are gearing up, the first field trial will be next summer.”

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2292543-drug-treatment-for-lyme-disease-could-lead-to-its-eradication/#ixzz78yklk9vA

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1