Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Fall 2021 Banter.

HoarfrostHubb

59 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Happens in places with a strong sense of place and where there are transplants.  Upstate (far upstate) NY, VT, NH, ME all make sense.  The UP of Michigan.  Happens in mountain communities out west.  It’s huge in Alaska, you better be from there and not moved there from the Lower 48.  Marketing firms love it, trying to invoke a localism emotional pride.

It only creates divide too. Makes the lifelong resident authentic and the transplant who moved from *gasp* somewhere else the interloper.  

Definitely an interesting thing found outside more populated areas.  Like no one gave a sh*t where I grew up in Albany, NY but like a couple hours north or west you find it once into the Adirondacks or even countryside Mohawk Valley.

Hell even Hollywood loves creating that scene… how many movies involve someone or a family moving from urban/suburban setting to countryside setting and resulting small town USA is highly skeptical of them.

Yep. It’s one of the more annoying things about living here. If it’s such a great place, why aren’t people proud to share it?  Isn’t it a compliment when someone could choose just about anywhere to live and they choose your area?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Happens in places with a strong sense of place and where there are transplants.  Upstate (far upstate) NY, VT, NH, ME all make sense.  The UP of Michigan.  Happens in mountain communities out west.  It’s huge in Alaska, you better be from there and not moved there from the Lower 48.  Marketing firms love it, trying to invoke a localism emotional pride.

It only creates divide too. Makes the lifelong resident authentic and the transplant who moved from *gasp* somewhere else the interloper.  

Definitely an interesting thing found outside more populated areas.  Like no one gave a sh*t where I grew up in Albany, NY but like a couple hours north or west you find it once into the Adirondacks or even countryside Mohawk Valley.

Hell even Hollywood loves creating that scene… how many movies involve someone or a family moving from urban/suburban setting to countryside setting and resulting small town USA is highly skeptical of them.

Yeah, no one cares if you are a transplant to central MD. LOL

It seems to be a much bigger deal up here.

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

So how many Hallmark Christmas movies have you really watched.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, PhineasC said:

One thing I always notice when I watch TV up here in Randolph is how many companies and politicians making commercials directed at Maine residents try very hard to hype up the fact that they are "authentic Mainers" or "from Maine." Just something that you don't see much in MD. It seems to be a big deal when trying to reach customers/voters in Maine to ensure they know you are a local and not some out of towner.

I am really enjoying the CMP corridor commercials pointing out that the power is "for Massachusetts." LOL dripping with sarcasm.

Retroactive laws BS, Its a yes vote period to stop the Mills corridor, They hacked a 51 mile stretch of land right thru wildlife areas and over leased property that the Mill's own, She rammed it thru on her executive order without going to the legislature for a vote.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PhineasC said:

One thing I always notice when I watch TV up here in Randolph is how many companies and politicians making commercials directed at Maine residents try very hard to hype up the fact that they are "authentic Mainers" or "from Maine." Just something that you don't see much in MD. It seems to be a big deal when trying to reach customers/voters in Maine to ensure they know you are a local and not some out of towner.

I am really enjoying the CMP corridor commercials pointing out that the power is "for Massachusetts." LOL dripping with sarcasm.

Old crotchety and unfriendly ...is that mostly the rural burbs and maybe it’s a assumption about their preferred politics or what ...just something I don’t understand 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mreaves said:

Cool URI is at the forefront of many discoveries  Thanks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Retroactive laws BS, Its a yes vote period to stop the Mills corridor, They hacked a 51 mile stretch of land right thru wildlife areas and over leased property that the Mill's own, She rammed it thru on her executive order without going to the legislature for a vote.

Is this the same project that was supposed to go through NH? Some sort of transmission line of hydro power from Canada?

24 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Is this the same project that was supposed to go through NH? Some sort of transmission line of hydro power from Canada?

Yes, I believe so, Its been halted by the courts until the referendum vote next month, But there trying to confuse the voter as usual, It has ZERO to do with any retroactive laws, It has everything to do with stopping the corridor from being completed.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Definitely. It also helps that my politics align. I don’t go run for town council or the school board and try to turn Gorham into a suburb of NYC. I leave everyone alone. 

Once a flatlander always a flatlander though.  I've been 15 years now and I'm still one.  I'm sure some up there definitely tried to take advantage of you in some form too, lol.  "Hey bud, look, it's a little out of my way but I'll do the job if you want. You got Maryland plates and a family?  Your driveway is pretty long... I usually charge $100 for that per plowing but I'll give you a deal and only charge $70 every time it snows more than 2 inches?  If it snows more than 6 inches I'll add a surcharge."

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Once a flatlander always a flatlander though.  I've been 15 years now and I'm still one.  I'm sure some up there definitely tried to take advantage of you in some form too, lol.  "Hey bud, look, it's a little out of my way but I'll do the job if you want. You got Maryland plates and a family?  Your driveway is pretty long... I usually charge $100 for that per plowing but I'll give you a deal and only charge $70 every time it snows more than 2 inches?  If it snows more than 6 inches I'll add a surcharge."

The plow guy has been very fair but others are clearly farming me for bucks. There is an acute shortage of certain tradesmen up here so I am willing to pay a little extra for them to actually show up and do the work. 

26 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Most Americans are on board renewable energy but when it comes to having to run transmission lines, it's hell no.

Hydro-Quebec isn't all that green though.  VT gets 50% of it's power from HQ.  They have their own set of environmental problems.  As for transmission lines, we have big corridors through the NEK and personally, I haven't heard a lot of complaints.

https://vtdigger.org/2021/02/17/is-vermonts-use-of-hydroquebec-power-greenwashing/

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The plow guy has been very fair but others are clearly farming me for bucks. There is an acute shortage of certain tradesmen up here so I am willing to pay a little extra for them to actually show up and do the work. 

Getting anyone to do anything now is a wait for sure… then the occasional “they said they’d be here at 10am”… by 11am you call and they are like “who’s this?”

I was just saying it’s like a local joke that the rural tradesmen are like “hey, I gave you a deal so don’t talk to anyone about the price I quoted.”  Then you are like huh, wait, is that a good price or a bad price?  Lol.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Getting anyone to do anything now is a wait for sure… then the occasional “they said they’d be here at 10am”… by 11am you call and they are like “who’s this?”

I was just saying it’s like a local joke that the rural tradesmen are like “hey, I gave you a deal so don’t talk to anyone about the price I quoted.”  Then you are like huh, wait, is that a good price or a bad price?  Lol.

Soon there won't be any bad prices because there will be no one to do the work and others will pay top dollar to get the work done from the ones still working, But the lead times are going to get lengthy.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PhineasC said:

If a Maine resident's direct lineage dates back to before 1820, then they are originally from Massachusetts anyway! :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I wonder if today is the day the internet crashes

Not the worst thing to have social sites offline.

If they tried to enact a seatbelt law now during the time of social media it would never happen.  It’s crazy how different things would be if FB existed 100 years ago.

• Like 1