• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Fall 2021 Banter.

HoarfrostHubb

Facebook marketplace is where you will find your best odds w used vehicles  . Take the car to your local mechanic and get it checked out . Decent supply on FB marketplace , and chances for much more negotiating leverage .

and if you live up in the woods you need to come down to civilization for A day or two and search S NH and mass 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Anyone into crypto mining ? Or very knowledgeable 

I spoke to a friend who just tried to explain to me how he spent 25 grand on 5 nodes that are crypto mining 24/7/365 and that’s he’s averaging 250$ day in mining 

A couple of guys that work for me are into it. Seems like more of a labor of love for an IT nerd than anything. One of them has a pretty extensive setup in his basement with many GPUs but it hasn't been life-changing in terms of income for him. It uses a decent chunk of electricity and make his basement hot and loud too.

• Haha 1

Construction materials are getting bad.  Garage doors are 12-16wks or more.  Custom windows are taking 1/2 a year.  Roof Trusses are the same.  Kitchens 12-16wks.  Utility tie-ins to existing infrastructure are taking up to a year.  Our Contractors are out of their minds, because people are still buying new units in droves but closings are getting pushed off for months and months. 

Just now, Cyclone-68 said:

I’ve been waiting since last March for a new couch we ordered and I thought that was absurdly long. These other stories give me a chill 

One of our Developers has a new development that they had about 25-30 Units virtually completed and they were sitting on their asses waiting for Gas/Sewer/Electric tie-ins to the City.  Waited over a year,  They must have had about $40-50million outlaid that they could not recoup until those were installed and they could close on the Units.  That's a lot money to have having over your head.  Buyers weren't too pleased as well as the Closing dates they were given at P&S went bye-bye.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

One of our Developers has a new development that they had about 25-30 Units virtually completed and they were sitting on their asses waiting for Gas/Sewer/Electric tie-ins to the City.  Waited over a year,  They must have had about $40-50million outlaid that they could not recoup until those were installed and they could close on the Units.  That's a lot money to have having over your head.  Buyers weren't too pleased as well as the Closing dates they were given at P&S went bye-bye.

Uh oh. My P&S closing date is 11/30 for new construction.  The original closing estimate was September. Now it’s October. My rate lock is good until 11/30 too. If it goes beyond that……..

41 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Construction materials are getting bad.  Garage doors are 12-16wks or more.  Custom windows are taking 1/2 a year.  Roof Trusses are the same.  Kitchens 12-16wks.  Utility tie-ins to existing infrastructure are taking up to a year.  Our Contractors are out of their minds, because people are still buying new units in droves but closings are getting pushed off for months and months. 

It’s funny you mention garage doors. There is a new cabin in Randolph that was built last year and it still has a tarp hanging over the garage opening. Otherwise the owners are moved in. 

Just now, PhineasC said:

It’s funny you mention garage doors. There is a new cabin in Randolph that was built last year and it still has a tarp hanging over the garage opening. Otherwise the owners are moved in. 

We ordered ours 1st week of May, and it's scheduled to be delivered mid-October.  5 months lead time.

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Anyone into crypto mining ? Or very knowledgeable 

I spoke to a friend who just tried to explain to me how he spent 25 grand on 5 nodes that are crypto mining 24/7/365 and that’s he’s averaging 250$ day in mining 

It only makes sense if you have cheap or free electricity from solar. New England has the highest electricity rates in the lower 48. It doubt the numbers would work out when electricity cost .23 kwh.  States like Washington state have cheap hydro power that cost .08 kwh. 

53 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Was at the BGR Subaru dealer this past Monday for routine maintenance on our Forester and was amazed at all the empty pavement.  Probably could've landed a Cessna 185 there.

They got hit hard by the chip shortage and have had many shutdowns. My wife has a 2018 Crosstrek and it's insane how much used ones are going for. It's lost like no value since she bought it. 

• Like 2

So, a friend of mine is an in demand, high end finish carpenter. He makes good money and he’s never hurting for work.

He told me yesterday he is transitioning out of carpentry and is going to refurbish pinball machines full-time, which has always been a hobby of his. Apparently he will be making more money than with cabinet building because pinball machines are so in demand right now.

Crazy world!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Pinball machine demand ...lol

Im half tempted to join amazon business prime and buy up a bunch of popular Xmas toys and sell em for profits when there is a shortage of many gifts and even other items this winter

Sold our 1960s working Jukebox with 600 45s this year. Big profit 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Pinball machine demand ...lol

Im half tempted to join amazon business prime and buy up a bunch of popular Xmas toys and sell em for profits when there is a shortage of many gifts and even other items this winter

Pinball machines and old school arcade games are a big business.  Hard to repair but if you know how $$$.  

Out of control construction costs

90% of builders reported shortages of appliances, 87% reported a shortage of windows and doors, and more than 50% of builders reported shortages of steel beams, insulation, roofing materials, vinyl siding, copper wiring, and plumber fixtures, among other materials.  Since May 2020, the cost of steel mill products has risen over 75%, including a 59.4% increase in 2021 alone, and the cost of prepared asphalt and tar roofing and siding products has risen nearly 15%.

11 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Sold our 1960s working Jukebox with 600 45s this year. Big profit 

Records go for a lot of money these days.  A friend of mine owns two used record and cd stores and he can’t find enough vinyl.  
New vinyl is also very high demand because there are only a few pressing plants in the US.
He said lots of young people buying them because you can pick up $80-$100 turntable at Walmart or Target.
I’d recommend spending 3 - 5x that if you like your vinyl but you get the point. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Records go for a lot of money these days.  A friend of mine owns two used record and cd stores and he can’t find enough vinyl.  
New vinyl is also very high demand because there are only a few pressing plants in the US.
He said lots of young people buying them because you can pick up $80-$100 turntable at Walmart or Target.
I’d recommend spending 3 - 5x that if you like your vinyl but you get the point. 

Bigger issue is most modern music is not crafted around the idea of listening to an entire album these days; it's all about singles and remixes. For older stuff where the artists actually put time and care into crafting an entire album experience, vinyl is awesome.

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Bigger issue is most modern music is not crafted around the idea of listening to an entire album these days; it's all about singles and remixes. For older stuff where the artists actually put time and care into crafting an entire album experience, vinyl is awesome.

Yes that is certainly true.  
Of course, plenty of bands are still doing complete concept type albums but that’s not really a formula for success in sales.

As far as I can tell most people don’t even have full size stereo systems in their house anymore.  It’s all Bluetooth through a sound stick. I’ve always been a low budget audiophile so we still have the full set up in the living room.  We still have a ton of CDs and of course my record collection and listen to both frequently.

Yes, of course we also will listen to Pandora and Spotify at times because of convenience. As far as digital files go, I only have “lossless” files on my hard drive and a lot of those are 24-bit that I play through a DAC from my computer to my stereo

When people say they can’t tell the difference between streaming/MP3 versus higher quality formats they are either not trying or not interested in better sound.  That’s fine, as long as they’re happy with their music.

• Like 2