Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Fall 2021 Banter.

HoarfrostHubb

6 minutes ago, hammerz_nailz said:

A pool deck is something that you’d likely want to have permitted for liability reasons. Same with projects involving wiring or major structural. It’s good to that inspection sign off for insurance and piece of mind. 

Yeah. I will prob rip it down and have a pro build and permit one in a couple of years. It would be a problem if someone got hurt etc insurance wise. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hammerz_nailz said:

A pool deck is something that you’d likely want to have permitted for liability reasons. Same with projects involving wiring or major structural. It’s good to have that inspection sign off for insurance and piece of mind. 

I agree, wiring and major structural can wreck you in an insurance claim if not signed off on by an inspector. 
i’ll continue to do my own plumbing and if I spring leak I’ll eat the damages if necessary.

It makes you wonder how many illegal tree houses there are in Massachusetts...? 

1 hour ago, snowman21 said:

Only one blue state lost population (Illinois at -0.1%) based on last year's census. The other two that lost population were Mississippi (-0.2%) and West Virginia (-3.2%). This is the raw data directly from the Census Bureau: https://www2.census.gov/programs-surveys/decennial/2020/data/apportionment/apportionment-2020-tableE.xlsx. Your source is likely using intradecadal estimates and not decennial census numbers.

No they included data from the great 2020 migration with occurred after the census.

Not a lot of specialized building permits or restrictions up here. Some of the bigger towns like BTV have layers of code enforcement etc. but in towns like mine it’s mostly zoning on the town level. As long as I’m not expanding the footprint, I don’t need anything. None of the finishing in the basement, bathroom renos or kitchen reno required anything. As long as you stay within the setbacks for the zone you’re in and it’s an allowed use, all you need is a building permit which is $90. Now, there are state permits for some things like septic design. Storm water runoff is also regulated  on the state level but I think that’s for developments etc. the state also has some strict land use/development laws for lots over 10 acres. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

No they included data from the great 2020 migration with occurred after the census.

That's not what they did. They used estimates like it says "according to annual Census Bureau estimates that are not related to the official 2020 census counts. The annual estimates are based on births, deaths, construction permits and other records" and "according to new Census Bureau estimates, which do not reflect the 2020 census counts. The agency will release the final 2020 census tally in March." The article also has some incorrect information like claiming Rhode Island and Connecticut continue "longer-term [population] losses" when neither state has lost population in any census going back at least a century (https://www.census.gov/data/tables/time-series/dec/popchange-data-text.html), so who knows what they mean by longer-term (2 years? 5? 10? 25?) or "losses". Anyway there's no point in using an article when you can go straight to the source and look at the data yourself. Furthermore it's kind of dumb to look at year over year change in a population estimate to infer some kind of trend. It would be like climate scientists using a single year of estimated temperature data to show how quickly the climate is warming.

32 minutes ago, amarshall said:

How was customs and testing?  Heading to Ireland in October? 

I flew Aer Lingus thru Dublin.  Ireland requires proof of vaccination but not proof of a negative covid test before travel.  England required both plus I had to do a test within two days of arrival which I did at the Manchester Airport after landing.  Already go the negative test result.  Both required passenger locator forms, but not a big deal.  More hoops than before covid, but in the end not a big deal.  Surprised how few are wearing masks over here, but the vaccination rate is higher than the US.  Great to be back here.  Tomorrow is my first Manchester City match since before Covid.  Can't wait!

What airline are you flying?  Aer Lingus made things pretty easy.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, hammerz_nailz said:

Building permits in MA are based on estimated job cost, same in CT. Usually $10-$20 per thousand depending on the town. There may be a $50 minimum.

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

Can't you pull homeowners building permits in MA for like $50? Or is that only for non electric and plumbing?

This is true in our town. Not expanding the foot print = $50 permit. They ask for estimated job cost but it does not factor into the permit cost. I installed our wood stove and chimney, was a $1200 job (double walled chimney pipe isn't cheap). I then had the building inspector come out and sign off on it. Forwarded the inspection and approval to our home owners and all was good. 

14 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

This is true in our town. Not expanding the foot print = $50 permit. They ask for estimated job cost but it does not factor into the permit cost. I installed our wood stove and chimney, was a $1200 job (double walled chimney pipe isn't cheap). I then had the building inspector come out and sign off on it. Forwarded the inspection and approval to our home owners and all was good. 

That's the difference here, no building inspector.  It can get you in trouble if you hire the wrong guy.  The guys I hire are pros though and follow code.  I generally do that with electric.  I can handle minor plumbing stuff.  I've installed sinks, faucets, a garbage disposal and toilets myself.  I wouldn't run new stuff waste pipes myself.

2 hours ago, HimoorWx said:

I flew Aer Lingus thru Dublin.  Ireland requires proof of vaccination but not proof of a negative covid test before travel.  England required both plus I had to do a test within two days of arrival which I did at the Manchester Airport after landing.  Already go the negative test result.  Both required passenger locator forms, but not a big deal.  More hoops than before covid, but in the end not a big deal.  Surprised how few are wearing masks over here, but the vaccination rate is higher than the US.  Great to be back here.  Tomorrow is my first Manchester City match since before Covid.  Can't wait!

What airline are you flying?  Aer Lingus made things pretty easy.

Thanks for the info. Aer Lingus

15 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Must be the showers

https://www.pewtrusts.org/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2021/01/21/census-estimates-show-population-decline-in-16-states

California, Massachusetts and Ohio had been growing throughout the past decade until last year.

Heard yesterday on Maine news that Augusta and some nearby towns have been kicked into the 2nd district by the 2020 census.  Areas north of Rt 2 have been slowly but consistently losing population for the past 30+ years while York and Cumberland Counties gain.

5 minutes ago, SlantStickers Anonymous said:

Cautiously watching Thursday/Friday. I’m getting married in Durham NH on Friday evening and my fiancée is going to spontaneously combust if we get rained in lol. 

I worked for an outfit that videoed weddings back when I was 19-20. Hell hath no fury like a bride. Adding crappy weather just amps it up.