Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Fall 2021 Banter.

HoarfrostHubb

51 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Melt away. Buying opportunities. 

I would say it’s the market valuations getting a semblance of sanity 

The overall problem In global equity markets is that long term debt has piled up so enormously high that we are in the latter stages of the monetary systems “life cycle “. This perspective doesn’t receive much awareness but at this point in the life cycle central banks the world over have to keep interest rates permanently at low level so that the interest on the debt maintains manageable Low Payments

The other related and red flag of a monetary system in the “late stages of its life” is that Sovereign central banks are now the * largest holders* of their Counties debt . No longer is China remotely close to the largest holder of US gov’t debt . Thanks to “QE” and incredible ballooning of the all Major central bank balance sheets , the central banks have been buying their own countries  gov’t bonds In gigantic quantities (To suppress 10-30 year interest rates ) to keep debt levels Manageable and to keep borrowing rates lower for households . It’s the hallmark of a fragile system . 

The only game left in town for central banks is to sustain a very accommodative policy (and move goal posts to respectively to justify said  policy ) That keeps liquidity very high and risk assets being bid up to keep those asset prices very high to maintain the surprisingly fragile reality that assets are marked up enough to keep household balance sheets solvent . The debt isn’t going away . The USA and many major countries are so debt saturated that gdp growth (in a debt based system ) is now permanently low and dependent on large increases in fiscal spending . There are more and more “balls that require juggling to kick the can” and Further sustain the current monetary systems functioning / existence /solvency . 

Surpisingly fragile and dependent on continued intervention ...and everyone would be effected. Monetary systems have a finite existence . 

People from Central America know the reality of waking up to see that their life savings has been devalued by 75% overnite  and while I don’t see it going down like that as the US dollar is the back bone of the global financial system , there will be a time when folks learn the hard way that monetary systems need a occasional reset and protecting ones life savings thru diversity and hard assets (not paper promises ) should be a priority . 

when it does there will likely be a catalyst (black swan) that pushes the system over the edge..this will be billed as a tragedy that “nobody saw coming” “ and things “were going so well “ but in reality when a system is so fragile and black swans occur (thou their timing and details can’t be predicted ) preparation was the key and no I don’t have a answer (I don’t have much wealth) people smarter than me are preparing 

41 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I would say it’s the market valuations getting a semblance of sanity 

The overall problem In global equity markets is that long term debt has piled up so enormously high that we are in the latter stages of the monetary systems “life cycle “. This perspective doesn’t receive much awareness but at this point in the life cycle central banks the world over have to keep interest rates permanently at low level so that the interest on the debt maintains manageable Low Payments

The other related and red flag of a monetary system in the “late stages of its life” is that Sovereign central banks are now the * largest holders* of their Counties debt . No longer is China remotely close to the largest holder of US gov’t debt . Thanks to “QE” and incredible ballooning of the all Major central bank balance sheets , the central banks have been buying their own countries  gov’t bonds In gigantic quantities (To suppress 10-30 year interest rates ) to keep debt levels Manageable and to keep borrowing rates lower for households . It’s the hallmark of a fragile system . 

The only game left in town for central banks is to sustain a very accommodative policy (and move goal posts to respectively to justify said  policy ) That keeps liquidity very high and risk assets being bid up to keep those asset prices very high to maintain the surprisingly fragile reality that assets are marked up enough to keep household balance sheets solvent . The debt isn’t going away . The USA and many major countries are so debt saturated that gdp growth (in a debt based system ) is now permanently low and dependent on large increases in fiscal spending . There are more and more “balls that require juggling to kick the can” and Further sustain the current monetary systems functioning / existence /solvency . 

Surpisingly fragile and dependent on continued intervention ...and everyone would be effected. Monetary systems have a finite existence . 

People from Central America know the reality of waking up to see that their life savings has been devalued by 75% overnite  and while I don’t see it going down like that as the US dollar is the back bone of the global financial system , there will be a time when folks learn the hard way that monetary systems need a occasional reset and protecting ones life savings thru diversity and hard assets (not paper promises ) should be a priority . 

when it does there will likely be a catalyst (black swan) that pushes the system over the edge..this will be billed as a tragedy that “nobody saw coming” “ and things “were going so well “ but in reality when a system is so fragile and black swans occur (thou their timing and details can’t be predicted ) preparation was the key and no I don’t have a answer (I don’t have much wealth) people smarter than me are preparing 

Yup, good summary!

• Thanks 1

So I was just talking with a friend of mine who is a general contractor.  I was telling him about how I just installed an outdoor shower and how I usually do all my own plumbing projects.  He told me he does the same but it is actually illegal in Massachusetts to do your own plumbing!  I never knew that.  He said you are not even supposed to change your own faucets.  WTF?  Strong plumbers unions I guess? 

edit:  oh' yeah, apparently outdoor showers are also illegal in MA.  Lol.

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

So I was just talking with a friend of mine who is a general contractor.  I was telling him about how I just installed an outdoor shower and how I usually do all my own plumbing projects.  He told me he does the same but it is actually illegal in Massachusetts to do your own plumbing!  I never knew that.  He said you are not even supposed to change your own faucets.  WTF?  Strong plumbers unions I guess? 

I wound ask to do my time at a high elevation prison 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

edit:  oh' yeah, apparently outdoor showers are also illegal in MA.  Lol.

It is indeed illegal to do your own plumbing.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/plumbers-and-gas-fitters-consumer-fact-sheet/download

While we call them outdoor Showers, they're technically Rinsing Stations and cannot tie into the homes septic system.  That would be a Title V violation.  They have to drain into the ground.  You're also not supposed to be using soap in them. 

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Evergrande in China. Leman Brothers 2.0 almost 13 years to the day. They don't get bailed out there are going to be some big ripples. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

While we call them outdoor Showers, they're technically Rinsing Stations and cannot tie into the homes septic system.  That would be a Title V violation.  They have to drain into the ground.  You're also not supposed to be using soap in them. 

Oh, it’s definitely not tied into my septic system. Lol  

I love plumbing projects, I find them quite satisfying when they are done and not leaking.  
I can’t recall any of my relatives ever using a licensed plumber for anything.  Three generations of Polish and Lithuanian immigrants who always did all of our own everything.

It’s just kind of absurd that a homeowner can do electrical work in their house but not plumbing. I see one as far more dangerous than the other.

6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I love plumbing projects, I find them quite satisfying when they are done and not leaking.  
I can’t recall any of my relatives ever using a licensed plumber for anything.  Three generations of Polish and Lithuanian immigrants who always did all of our own everything.

It’s just kind of absurd that a homeowner can do electrical work in their house but not plumbing. I see one as far more dangerous than the other.

You can replace a fixture or outlet in MA but if you're running new wire and such, you need to pull a permit for that work, so there is oversight there.

You're also entering an area where if you're a homeowner and you're not pulling all the proper permits for you, you may nullify a homeowners policy.

It's best to hire professionals or ask the local jurisdiction what you can/cannot do own your own and with/without permits.

29 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

So many people have outdoor showers. Not tied into the septic or sewer. I doubt many pulled a permit or even hired someone...although I am not handy with plumbing so I would have to.

9 hours ago, BrianW said:

Possible world record white catfish caught in Coventry Lake.

“I Was Shocked!” Connecticut Angler Lands Potential World Record White Catfish

The 21.3-pound white cat doubles the previous state record and potentially smashes the IGFA all-tackle record, too. And no, it's not a channel cat

https://www.fieldandstream.com/fishing/ct-angler-catches-record-white-catfish/

AGW.

56 minutes ago, dryslot said:

lol not being able to do your own plumbing, Today it's pretty easy using Pex and in other instances Shark bites, I can see sweating pipes to be a problem for some but i have never shied away from any of it here.

Shark Bite quick connects are awesome, if you use them correctly.  They brought DIY plumbing to a new level.   Also legally questionable in MA even though every hardware store in the state carries them.

Sweating pipes is a pain in the ass but I’ll still do it if the pipes are going to be enclosed behind walls.  Shark bites are only rated for a 20 year gasket life.

3 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Chris is right  plumbing unions bought that law. Lol like anyone who owns a home. follows the States rules. Can't use soap in an outside shower, what are they doing flying drones overhead as my grandkids wash the chlorine out of their hair. Some states man. No wonder so many people are fleeing south.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Heck, I do all my own electrical, Pulling wire, Outlets, Junction boxes and just have a master inspect it and tie it into my 200amp service.

It helps knowing the right people. A 12 pack and a lobster or 2 go far lol. The only contractor I have hired was to replace my meter and line which was ripped down by Irene.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BrianW said:

Possible world record white catfish caught in Coventry Lake.

“I Was Shocked!” Connecticut Angler Lands Potential World Record White Catfish

The 21.3-pound white cat doubles the previous state record and potentially smashes the IGFA all-tackle record, too. And no, it's not a channel cat

https://www.fieldandstream.com/fishing/ct-angler-catches-record-white-catfish/

State stocked whites several years ago. Great to see they are thriving. Monster

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Chris is right  plumbing unions bought that law. Lol like anyone who owns a home. follows the States rules. Can't use soap in an outside shower, what are they doing flying drones overhead as my grandkids wash the chlorine out of their hair. Some states man. No wonder so many people are fleeing south.

Massachusetts is gaining population state outdoor shower laws be damned, so apparently people aren't fleeing.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

This is pretty cool. I know this freaks many out, but this is good to see when the species is endangered.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/09/15/timber-rattlesnake-blue-hills-hiker-video/

That's an absolute monster of a timber rattler.  I thought the 43" specimen a HS friend killed (this was about 1962) behind a NNJ Shop-Rite was big.   And a slight correction to the article.  While timber rattlers were once in all 6 New England states, the last in Maine - on Mt. Agamenticus - were extirpated about 1900 and I've not heard that they've returned. 

53 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Massachusetts is gaining population state outdoor shower laws be damned, so apparently people aren't fleeing.

Must be the showers

https://www.pewtrusts.org/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2021/01/21/census-estimates-show-population-decline-in-16-states

California, Massachusetts and Ohio had been growing throughout the past decade until last year.

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I will do really simple plumbing (new shower head, replacement sink etc) and super simple electrical (just replaced a stove hood a few weeks ago) like a ceiling fan etc. 

Otherwise I will call someone in.  I lack a lot of the skills.  

Most all of us homeowners fall into your category. I did build my deck which was my first start to finish carpentry job. Had a permit pulled and followed code and did fine. My friends are the talented ones, I just follow their lead,converted 2 car attached garage to the grooming/rec room. Converted 2 bedrooms into 1. Light stuff like floors I did myself, small plumbing stuff. Otherwise my son in law is a master plumber and my good friend a Master Electrician. Its always something when you own a home as you know. Good to know the right people and have good friends.

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Most all of us homeowners fall into your category. I did build my deck which was my first start to finish carpentry job. Had a permit pulled and followed code and did fine. My friends are the talented ones, I just follow their lead,converted 2 car attached garage to the grooming/rec room. Converted 2 bedrooms into 1. Light stuff like floors I did myself, small plumbing stuff. Otherwise my son in law is a master plumber and my good friend a Master Electrician. Its always something when you own a home as you know. Good to know the right people and have good friends.

We built our pool deck last summer. Just temporary and not attached to anything. Might not be permitted. Lol. 
Ive installed hardwood floors in our entire upstairs but that looks meh in spots. Good in others

I think the reality is, if everyone pulled a permit for everything that needed to be done, nobody would ever get anything done.

I mean, my parents put up a pool 10 feet away from wetlands and it has sold 3 times since without any issues lol.

Obviously, any footprint changes, you should probably pull a permit 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Must be the showers

https://www.pewtrusts.org/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2021/01/21/census-estimates-show-population-decline-in-16-states

California, Massachusetts and Ohio had been growing throughout the past decade until last year.

Only one blue state lost population (Illinois at -0.1%) based on last year's census. The other two that lost population were Mississippi (-0.2%) and West Virginia (-3.2%). This is the raw data directly from the Census Bureau: https://www2.census.gov/programs-surveys/decennial/2020/data/apportionment/apportionment-2020-tableE.xlsx. Your source is likely using intradecadal estimates and not decennial census numbers.

46 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We built our pool deck last summer. Just temporary and not attached to anything. Might not be permitted. Lol. 
Ive installed hardwood floors in our entire upstairs but that looks meh in spots. Good in others

A pool deck is something that you’d likely want to have permitted for liability reasons. Same with projects involving wiring or major structural. It’s good to have that inspection sign off for insurance and piece of mind. 

• Like 1