• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Fall 2021 Banter.

HoarfrostHubb

To continue with the theme of images, here's the evening's last light before the shadows fully cover the valley here.... I've never really seen the Stowe Community Church steeple stand out like that before.  Just like covered bridges, there is very little that is more "New England" than an old white steeple church anchoring a village in a valley (to me).  That steeple is on one of the oldest non-denominational churches in the country.

Weenie stat is the top elevation of the steeple is like 928 feet for reference... the Worecester Range in the background is over 3,600ft.  The town of Stowe stretches through all of this.  Plenty of topographical relief for fake cold to settle in.... currently 55F after a high of 76F.

1401357378_Sept12cut.jpg.95fa4f7f3a9ab76acb2009a8ad4b6c43.jpg

• Like 4

18 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Bobcats population has really exploded in Central Mass.  

My wife and daughter saw two in our yard a year or two ago.    I’ve never seen one in my life though.  

I've been fortunate enough with timing to have had 6 or 7 sightings in the past 10 years.   In the spring we had a juvenile in our yard two mornings in a row.  Fun to watch. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I've been fortunate enough with timing to have had 6 or 7 sightings in the past 10 years.   In the spring we had a juvenile in our yard two mornings in a row.  Fun to watch. 

Some friends of ours had a den on their property for a couple of months   They have a pretty big property with a very long driveway. The den was near the far end of the driveway. They got to see the kittens but then they moved away (the bobcats)

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 8:49 PM, powderfreak said:

Off Topic but I had never heard of the Ig Nobel Prizes... satirical awards but real life studies.  This one is fantastic. 

TRANSPORTATION PRIZE: Robin Radcliffe, Mark Jago, Peter Morkel, Estelle Morkel, Pierre du Preez, Piet Beytell, Birgit Kotting, Bakker Manuel, Jan Hendrik du Preez, Michele Miller, Julia Felippe, Stephen Parry, and Robin Gleed, for determining by experiment whether it is safer to transport an airborne rhinoceros upside-down or horizontally.

_120453695_ab82a161-6b8b-4125-9bf7-79624

_120453696_0ab34bb2-8c68-4de3-ae2a-13935

Turns out the rhinos are better off upside down.

"I think the reason for that is, when a rhino is on its side, you have positional effects of blood flow. So in other words, the lower parts of the lung are getting lots of blood flow for gas exchange, but the upper part of the lung, just because of gravity, is not getting perfused well, so when a rhino is hanging upside down, it's basically like it's standing upside up; the lung is equally perfused.

"We've also seen that rhinos that are on their side too long, or on their sternum, especially - they get muscle damage, they get myopathy, because they're so heavy. And there's no pressure on their legs, other than the sense of the strap around their ankle," Robin explained.

You learn something new every day :lol:.

what does "lg" mean in that context -

start there

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cyclone-68 said:

I usually tip for everything but I’ve never tipped for car repair 

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

No... they get reimbursed/paid for by the manufacturer.  Not a tipped position

I was wondering how that worked. I was stunned when I didn't even get charged for labor. I saw no charge and I said, "not even for labor" and the guy said, "It's a Honda problem so they have to deal with it". Glad to know they get reimbursed...I was worried about them just doing this work and not getting anything for it

Possible world record white catfish caught in Coventry Lake.

“I Was Shocked!” Connecticut Angler Lands Potential World Record White Catfish

The 21.3-pound white cat doubles the previous state record and potentially smashes the IGFA all-tackle record, too. And no, it's not a channel cat

https://www.fieldandstream.com/fishing/ct-angler-catches-record-white-catfish/

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BrianW said:

Possible world record white catfish caught in Coventry Lake.

“I Was Shocked!” Connecticut Angler Lands Potential World Record White Catfish

The 21.3-pound white cat doubles the previous state record and potentially smashes the IGFA all-tackle record, too. And no, it's not a channel cat

https://www.fieldandstream.com/fishing/ct-angler-catches-record-white-catfish/

Remind me to not swim in that lake