Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Fall 2021 Banter.

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

No his theft ring is when your favorite tree disappears from your yard in the middle of the night.

Had not heard of the cat-converter stealing ring.  However back about 25 years or so there was some tree rustling being done, mostly in the Midwest and especially with black walnut.  Thieves would attach big mufflers to their chainsaws, and homeowners would wake up to see just stumps along the driveway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Theft isn’t covered by insurance?

It is when you have comprehensive coverage. Many people don't though and are driving older cars. I just talked to another friend who can't even get a converter for his car.  Places are saying so many are being stolen they can't even get replacements.

Another friend said they hit his work van but also destroyed the entire exhaust system including the oxygen sensors. They had to replace everything from the exhaust manifold back and it was like almost 4k. 

• Sad 2

15 minutes ago, rimetree said:

Getting a Pease air show preview here today. Thunderbirds have buzzed my house a couple times...one of the dogs is not pleased.

We used to go to my mom’s house in Jamestown RI for the Quonset air show practice (usually Blue Angels)   They would be buzzing over her house a few hundred feet up.  You could see their helmeted faces because sometimes they would be upside down.  

3 hours ago, amarshall said:

I live in a residential neighborhood with no water in a mile. Where did this snapping turtle come from?

Why do I do with it?

bb2851c349bffa336b59e10999b1665a.jpg

Same thing happened to me a couple years ago, my dogs were outside making a racket and they were surrounding this big ass snapping turtle, nearest pond is a mile and half from me, decision was either to make turtle soup, my fathers idea, or bring it up to the pond and set it free, I chose option 2, wasn't in the mood to try turtle soup even though my father says it's good.

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Blue Jays lost to the Orioles too.  That's insulting to the Yanks given the past couple series.  Blue Jays just smoked that four game series and then lose to Baltimore.  162, anything can happen.

This current streak started with losing a series to Baltimore too. Winning 13 in a row and then immediately following it up with losing 11 of 13 is an impressive feat.

I also like how Toronto is ahead of Seattle by 1 in the WC race, but their pythag is 21 games better.

On 9/10/2021 at 7:21 AM, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Prius owners often wake to find their car sounding like a obnoxiously loud performance exhaust After their cats are snipped . They have some of the highest amount of precious metals .

My car has cats that are difficult to get at and crooks tend to favor the easier targets . Many Go for 500-600 in scrap value which is often 40% of total metal values .

My brother got both his snipped out from his Tundra while he was in a restaurant a couple weeks ago. Happened in Dallas. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Can't believe it's been 20 years since 9/11. Still as indelibly sharp and poignant a memory as it is possible to have, much as one would like to forget it.

So true, and maybe the saddest part is that there are still people dying as a result of what they were exposed to at the WTC site. It's all just heartbreaking and incredible to think two decades have passed. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Wow, that is bold.   

It's 50 years ago when a (later) co-worker was stationed at the AFB in western Long Island.  Another AF buddy was driving in on the Long Island Expressway when he had a flat.  Went back to the trunk and was freeing up the spare when he heard a noise up front, and walked around to see the hood up and a guy fiddling with something.  Guy said "That's cool; you get the spare and I'll get the battery!"

Off Topic but I had never heard of the Ig Nobel Prizes... satirical awards but real life studies.  This one is fantastic. 

TRANSPORTATION PRIZE: Robin Radcliffe, Mark Jago, Peter Morkel, Estelle Morkel, Pierre du Preez, Piet Beytell, Birgit Kotting, Bakker Manuel, Jan Hendrik du Preez, Michele Miller, Julia Felippe, Stephen Parry, and Robin Gleed, for determining by experiment whether it is safer to transport an airborne rhinoceros upside-down or horizontally.

_120453695_ab82a161-6b8b-4125-9bf7-79624

_120453696_0ab34bb2-8c68-4de3-ae2a-13935

Turns out the rhinos are better off upside down.

"I think the reason for that is, when a rhino is on its side, you have positional effects of blood flow. So in other words, the lower parts of the lung are getting lots of blood flow for gas exchange, but the upper part of the lung, just because of gravity, is not getting perfused well, so when a rhino is hanging upside down, it's basically like it's standing upside up; the lung is equally perfused.

"We've also seen that rhinos that are on their side too long, or on their sternum, especially - they get muscle damage, they get myopathy, because they're so heavy. And there's no pressure on their legs, other than the sense of the strap around their ankle," Robin explained.

You learn something new every day :lol:.

• Like 5