Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Fall 2021 Banter.

HoarfrostHubb

16 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not sure if any of y’all remember the guy but Willard Scott passed this morning. “Today Show” circa 1980 …
97 years old 

I think I might have been 5 .. 7 yrs old and that was the first TV weatherman I watched. .. He was like a gateway drug. For I soon was exposed to better highs with local affiliates … then the early good yrs of TWC arrived and completed my journey to full-on heroine 

Heh … actually it was the Cleveland Superbomb that checked me into rehab as  the full-on addict … and two years later … the EF3 (older rating system) tornado that carved a trench though Kalamazoo’s downtown that was the OD

8 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

I remember watching Willard Scott 30 years ago especially celebrating 100 year old bdays. He loved his job and was genuine. 

He wasn’t much use as a met, but that wasn’t his primary job after a bit. It was to bring a folksy face to the otherwise dry morning crew. Some of his coworkers didn’t appreciate his act.   Seemed like a genuinely nice person. 

• Like 2

Not a huge fan of swinging at the first pitch when you got 'em on the ropes with man on 2nd and 3rd and one out. 

They keep over and over and over again doing this ... ending up in a pitcher's count ... then it's onward to leaving said men on 2nd and 3rd, wasted.   They just keep doing this- and these pitches they are swinging at are usually chased ...questionable as strikes..etc... 

Stop swinging at the first pitch assholes! There are times to be aggressive; that's not one of them. Make the f'er pitch

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not a huge fan of swinging at the first pitch when you got 'em on the ropes with man on 2nd and 3rd and one out. 

They keep over and over and over again doing this ... ending up in a pitcher's count ... then it's onward to leaving said men on 2nd and 3rd, wasted.   They just keep doing this- and these pitches they are swinging at are usually chased ...questionable as strikes..etc... 

Stop swinging at the first pitch assholes! There are times to be aggressive; that's not one of them. Make the f'er pitch

They’d have tied this game already if they had some disciple last couple innings.  Not giving up yet.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Making it close.  6-5 with a runner on 2nd

Nada mas.  3-16 with RISP will eventually get you.  I’m just impressed they didn’t completely mail it in when losing 6-0.  They made it interesting.  Sooner or later one of these replacement pitchers was going to get rocked.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

They're a bit short on relievers this year, maybe next year we can get a couple more solid arms and another good positional player with a bat. Starters looking ok next year but wouldn't hurt to sign another good arm.

They’ve got a decent amount of money freeing up this offseason.  Sign Devers to an extension, find a true closer, and add another bat.  I still think they are waiting on 1st base for Tristan Casas (#19 MLB prospect) who crushed it for Team USA this year and just hit 5 home runs in 2 days in Portland (one went 480 feet lol)… so a first base signing seems unlikely IMO as Casas projects sometime next summer.  They need to figure out 2nd base for sure.

Good team to build on and money becoming available… good spot to be in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaineJayhawk said:

I can't wait til my kids are outta the house

Mine left, came back, left, came back but for 4 years now we empty nest. Immediately converted 2 bedrooms to one, converted 1 to a dog room, converted the attached 2 car to a rec room, grooming room.  I love it, miss them for a minute then remember visiting is much more fun now. Lol love my kids but this is great. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Getting to an 0-1 count is bad, of course, but when they put 1st pitches into play it's generally better than their overall record.  Looking at splits for 4 Bosox hitters, OPS only:
JD Martinez:  All:  .868   1st pitch:  .792    82 PA
Bogaerts:  All:  .867   1st pitch:  1.300   20 PA
Devers:  All:  .891   1st pitch:  .897   68 PA
Renfroe:  All:  .820  1st pitch:  1.009   55 PA

So JD does worse, Devers about the same, and the other 2 do better though with X it's a small sample. 
A rough combining of all 4:  All:  .861  1st pitch:  .922
Again, this ignores 1st pitch swings that don't put the ball in play.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

Getting to an 0-1 count is bad, of course, but when they put 1st pitches into play it's generally better than their overall record.  Looking at splits for 4 Bosox hitters, OPS only:
JD Martinez:  All:  .868   1st pitch:  .792    82 PA
Bogaerts:  All:  .867   1st pitch:  1.300   20 PA
Devers:  All:  .891   1st pitch:  .897   68 PA
Renfroe:  All:  .820  1st pitch:  1.009   55 PA

So JD does worse, Devers about the same, and the other 2 do better though with X it's a small sample. 
A rough combining of all 4:  All:  .861  1st pitch:  .922
Again, this ignores 1st pitch swings that don't put the ball in play.

I remember Garciaparra used to get criticized for swinging at the first pitch but he had a 400+ avg when he did. Not always a bad thing.

19 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I remember Garciaparra used to get criticized for swinging at the first pitch but he had a 400+ avg when he did. Not always a bad thing.

Right ... like we said "...There are times to be aggressive; that's not one of them...."

Nomar was good [ probably ..] at determining when to be aggressive.  Then there are other times when patience at the plate is needed...to be selective - if one can be..- and not wasting swings at garbage chasing that burns up strikes when your clawing to get back into a game and you got guys on base ahead of you and already 1 out.

This is ...just baseball theory 101. 
The Sox need some of that selection mentality at times, no question. 

The last 5 games ... seems they've gotten some pieces back and also Sale ..  It seems (maybe) their recent 20 day "slump" was more circumstantial.  They recharged mentality with good rookie fill ins, now Sale is back ..and they also got "Schwarber" - not sure how to spell that name... Those two are helping right the moral; I don't think it is coincidence the last 5 games have had a different electricity.  And maybe these wins are falling out of that charge.

We'll see how this series with Tampa goes.   So far today.. wow.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The last 5 games ... seems they've gotten some pieces back and also Sale ..  It seems (maybe) their recent 20 day "slump" was more circumstantial.  They recharged mentality with good rookie fill ins, now Sale is back ..and they also got "Schwarber" - not sure how to spell that name... Those two are helping right the moral; I don't think it is coincidence the last 5 games have had a different electricity.  And maybe these wins are falling out of that charge.

We'll see how this series with Tampa goes.   So far today.. wow.

Wow is right, the sun can be brutal, I remember sitting in the right field box seats in a day game and couldn't believe how the right fielder could see a fly ball, it's brutal. That said Sale wasn't on today, gave up too many baserunners.

5 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Wow is right, the sun can be brutal, I remember sitting in the right field box seats in a day game and couldn't believe how the right fielder could see a fly ball, it's brutal. That said Sale wasn't on today, gave up too many baserunners.

Sale is very lucky his stat line didn't get blown up.  He gave up 10 hits but only got charged with 1 ER due to the error lost in the sun by Verdugo on the fly ball.

On another aside, I'm starting to think Hunter Renfroe was one of the best off-season signings of any American League team.  Talk about a hidden gem.  Dollar for dollar he is hard to beat for production.  The fact that he was DFA'd by Tampa Bay is crazy.  Fan Graph's has his stat-line value this season as comparable to players getting paid $15 million and he's getting paid $3.  The Sox have him for next year too with arbitration.