• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.

moneypitmike

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

LOL, that is true. I definitely find myself not caring as much if I don't jack. For instance in Mar 2018, the Scooter Slot narrowly got me and just missed 20"+ by 8 miles, but 16" in March? No complaints here.

For me, I only care if Logan jacks which almost never happens.   If. I get 14 inches and they Jack with 20 I’m happy.   Conversely, if I get 6 inches and Logan gets slop I’m a little annoyed.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

You can live almost anywhere in the region and not match that stretch. It’s probably the same feeling that I had after 12/17 when I dumbfoundedly stared at what fell in 12hrs and knew I’d never see anything like that again. 

Dendy, didn’t you get 36+ this last December? Thought that was your record or close to it?  What did you get in December ‘17? 

45 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Depends.....if its an event where I get 18" and like 10 miles away get 36", sure.

This is what happened to me back in the late 80's. I was living in Russell, MA on top of a high hill, about 810 feet up. Big storm in Dec. All day it was beautiful, large flakes, got to about 14 inches, and then it changed to a mix of snow/sleet/slop all night. Next morning had about 16 inches of pocked marked snow, and all of it was melted off the trees. But just 10 or so miles away and another 500 to 800 feet up, Otis had 36 inches. I'm still smarting from that one, all these years later. Can't remember the year....1988 I think? 

1 minute ago, acoolerclimate said:

This is what happened to me back in the late 80's. I was living in Russell, MA on top of a high hill, about 810 feet up. Big storm in Dec. All day it was beautiful, large flakes, got to about 14 inches, and then it changed to a mix of snow/sleet/slop all night. Next morning had about 16 inches of pocked marked snow, and all of it was melted off the trees. But just 10 or so miles away and another 500 to 800 feet up, Otis had 36 inches. I'm still smarting from that one, all these years later. Can't remember the year....1988 I think? 

You sure it wasn't Dec '92? Although you wouldn't have sleet. Probably just some lighter precip rates at borderline temps.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

I agree there’s no logical explanation but that’s the bragging rights location for Boston climo.

I know what you mean! I like the first order station to show the high totals, for the record books. (Although I hate it when they get way more, even though the forecast was I would get the same. Dec 2020 when I was living in Nutley, NJ. Newark Airport and Central Park both had around 11 inches of snow. Just 8 miles away in Nutley, I had 6. So Weird). 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You sure it wasn't Dec '92? Although you wouldn't have sleet. Probably just some lighter precip rates at borderline temps.

Actually, I think you are correct. Dec 92 does sound right. I'll have to look it up. I lived in Russell from Feb 86 until June 1996. (With the winter of 93-94 away in Arizona. Of course!, but at least I was there for 95-96)

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

I agree there’s no logical explanation but that’s the bragging rights location for Boston climo.

Yeah I enjoy seeing them do well. People need to remember that not only could there be issues from marine airmasses, it's a windy place. They may report a lower total by a few inches simply due to blowing and drifting, and not because less snow falls. I think people never realize that unless they live at a location that is similar. 

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

LOL, that is true. I definitely find myself not caring as much if I don't jack. For instance in Mar 2018, the Scooter Slot narrowly got me and just missed 20"+ by 8 miles, but 16" in March? No complaints here.

I mean honestly...as long as you don't end up as the regional minimum....you shouldn't be mad.