• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.

moneypitmike

54 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Your world as well. NWS uses it for consistency in record keeping.  Sept 16th is as warm as June 3rd. Using artificial record keeping as a denomination doesn't represent reality but you can live in your own alternative reality world I guess.

Screenshot_20210929-112106_Chrome.jpg

Glad we don't pick a random date in the month to start/stop record keeping.  That would lead to a lot of confusion in a data driven field. June was a warm month as well, +3.6F, so not understanding your point  All this nonsense at the start of this month, about back-broken, was nonsense.  Sitting at +2.8F thru 28 days (and probably slightly higher with 9/8 data missing,  +3.2F at EWB/OWD, +4.2F at PYM).  That's not broke back, that's not seasonable.  That's above normal and solidly at that.  September will be virtually identical to August in the departure department, which many felt was too hot/humid.  Same ole, same ole.  Above average temperature regime hasn't been broken.

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I’ve noticed the sunlight affects me more as I get older.  I don’t think it’s the cold or warmth.  It’s the light from 4:45am until 9:45pm vs 7am to 4pm that gets me.

Weather I can go outside in anything, just give me light :lol:.

That too. I struggled last winter to be honest and couldn't wait for the warmer weather. Maybe because winter was sort of meh. Hopefully it's active this time. I honestly wonder if 14-15 screwed me up. Like since then, it's been kind of lackluster for me. I haven't had that adrenaline rush like that season. I'm dead serious. Sure some storms get your motor running, but unlike Steve who disrobes to the 3K NAM showing a finger squall coming through Yagoo Valley ski resort, I need the big snow events.

24 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Just give me snow from Nov-Mar to keep me occupied. Very easy task. :lol:   

Yeah it’s not hard to do. HHH in late spring and summer with plenty of storms like we had all summer. Now just deliver us winter with snowpack and frequent snow and ice thru the winter. Seasons in seasons. Very simple concept 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That too. I struggled last winter to be honest and couldn't wait for the warmer weather. Maybe because winter was sort of meh. Hopefully it's active this time. I honestly wonder if 14-15 screwed me up. Like since then, it's been kind of lackluster for me. I haven't had that adrenaline rush like that season. I'm dead serious. Sure some storms get your motor running, but unlike Steve who disrobes to the 3K NAM showing a finger squall coming through Yagoo Valley ski resort, I need the big snow events.

You can live almost anywhere in the region and not match that stretch. It’s probably the same feeling that I had after 12/17 when I dumbfoundedly stared at what fell in 12hrs and knew I’d never see anything like that again. 

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

You can live almost anywhere in the region and not match that stretch. It’s probably the same feeling that I had after 12/17 when I dumbfoundedly stared at what fell in 12hrs and knew I’d never see anything like that again. 

He needs a few '88-'89s in a row and throw in another couple 2/1/21 screwjies for his BY and he'll be chomping at the bit for a 3-6" event like Ginxy scans the models at 3am for windex events.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It's like Meteorological Molly. Just drains your brain of weather endorphins. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I could definitely see that.  I mean, without snow, life in New England in the cold season is dark, damp, and dreary.  Having at least snow on the ground goes a long way to brightening things up.  Especially without some weekly activity like skiing or snowmobiling to get some adrenaline and wintry views going.

I can definitely see it… the 5-6 months of darkness for a few months of snow chances that could also just be a cold miserable rain.  It’s not that hard to imagine why people move away for the winter in mid-latitude bands… either further north where that snow and pristine winter appeal is more of a guarantee, or down to like south of the Carolinas.

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I could definitely see that.  I mean, without snow, life in New England in the cold season is dark, damp, and dreary.  Having at least snow on the ground goes a long way to brightening things up.  Especially without some weekly activity like skiing or snowmobiling to get some adrenaline and wintry views going.

I can definitely see it… the 5-6 months of darkness for a few months of snow chances that could also just be a cold miserable rain.  It’s not that hard to imagine why people move away for the winter in mid-latitude bands… either further north where that snow and pristine winter appeal is more of a guarantee, or down to like south of the Carolinas.

Maybe it's just manopause. I'll probably be the first one typing in a SWFE come December. LOL. Who am I kidding.

54 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's Yawgoo and maybe you ought to stop and smell the roses instead of getting pricked by the thorns.

• Confused 1

So I woke up early today (well 8:30...that’s a couple of hours early for me considering I typically put the book down and turn off the lights at 3-3:30AM).   Tons to do and traveling tomorrow evening and need to be out of the house by mid afternoon.  Anyway, I took the doggie in my long pants and a sweater with a jacket over and it felt cool....and I daresay wonderful!   Critters are active, squirrels are fattening by the day, and I think we have a few signs of a potential blockbuster winter ahead.   Not going there yet as there are some caution flags for sure.  But today I’ve made the transition and I’m happy.

One year ago today on my way to the work parking garage I turned in my PIV card to security, drove my car out of the garage and started my path to freedom from the intensity of a relatively high profile job taking up 50-60 hours per week.   Unfortunately family illness required about 1/3 of the past year in Chicago.   Should hopefully be different this winter.  I’m excited!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Lol....I think Ray would be happier in an 8" storm that he jacks than an 18" storm where he doesn't.

LOL, that is true. I definitely find myself not caring as much if I don't jack. For instance in Mar 2018, the Scooter Slot narrowly got me and just missed 20"+ by 8 miles, but 16" in March? No complaints here.