• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.

moneypitmike

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

45.2 was the low. Leaves finally going to town changing this week. 2-3 weeks late north to south 

By the second week in October, many parts of Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut will reach peak color. If you're late to leaf peeping activities this year, that's OK, because color is expected to withstand throughout October and even into early November for some areas.

34 minutes ago, kdxken said:

By the second week in October, many parts of Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut will reach peak color. If you're late to leaf peeping activities this year, that's OK, because color is expected to withstand throughout October and even into early November for some areas.

It will be later in many areas. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Since the ~7" from TS IDA, my gauge has recorded about 3.5" which I had installed on my roof a week after Ida's remants. I may have missed some rain between then..but nearly ~11" in less than a month. 

Edit, apparently I missed 2-3" on the 10th. I had installed it the next day..so that's over 13". 

17 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Speaking of CMP, can yo explain how question 1 is allowed to ask two entirely different questions? It's obvious hydro quebec wants to confuse the voter, but how is it legal to have two yes/no questions in the same ballot, but be unrelated to one another?

The full language of the bill includes two main items.  The first is limited to lands managed by the Bureau of Parks and Lands and defines certain uses (including powerline rights-of-way) as substantially altering use of the land, and are thus subject to constitutional amendment 164 which requires approval by at least 2/3 of each body of the Maine legislature for such substantial alteration.  The amendment was ratified in November of 1993 by referendum, with 73% of the votes approving.  (Trivia note:  The amendment was triggered by the bureau selling 2 acres (out of 1200 at Pineland) of "scarce public land in southern Maine", to the NWS for its new office.)  The retro back to Sept 2014 is specific to BPL and has nothing to do with the items illustrated in the 'Vote No" ads, unless one subscribes to an exaggerated version of the "Camel's nose" theory.

The second provision specifically prohibits a "high impact electric transmission line" (previously defined in statute) in the "Upper Kennebec region" (defined in this bill) and is directly aimed at NECEC.  This section also adds a requirement that any such transmission line in Maine is subject to 2/3 votes of house and senate, and is retro thru Sept 16, 2020.

12 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The full language of the bill includes two main items.  The first is limited to lands managed by the Bureau of Parks and Lands and defines certain uses (including powerline rights-of-way) as substantially altering use of the land, and are thus subject to constitutional amendment 164 which requires approval by at least 2/3 of each body of the Maine legislature for such substantial alteration.  The amendment was ratified in November of 1993 by referendum, with 73% of the votes approving.  (Trivia note:  The amendment was triggered by the bureau selling 2 acres (out of 1200 at Pineland) of "scarce public land in southern Maine", to the NWS for its new office.)  The retro back to Sept 2014 is specific to BPL and has nothing to do with the items illustrated in the 'Vote No" ads, unless one subscribes to an exaggerated version of the "Camel's nose" theory.

The second provision specifically prohibits a "high impact electric transmission line" (previously defined in statute) in the "Upper Kennebec region" (defined in this bill) and is directly aimed at NECEC.  This section also adds a requirement that any such transmission line in Maine is subject to 2/3 votes of house and senate, and is retro thru Sept 16, 2020.

I'm still not getting this part. So if Mainers unanimously vote "yes" to stop the corridor, but legislature does not get 2/3 majority, then CMP gets to build corridor correct? Most voters don't read the full bill and thus the confusion when simply reading the ballot question. Heck, even the bill isn't straight forward.