• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.

moneypitmike

16 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Even pre Covid, most people I know around here(full time residents) are not expecting central AC because so many don't have them.  Honestly having central AC had minimal impact on pricing I think. I remember looking at like 30-40 houses and maybe a handful had central AC.  It is certainly a nice to have, especially with increasingly dewy summers, but around here it is almost a novelty, like having a pool.  I would love central AC, but don't even remember it on our wish list when house shopping.  Maybe I was in the wrong price range--sub $1 mill..lol.

There are definitely is an uptick in the mini split route it seems around here.

My guess is your average summer might is about 10F cooler at your elevation vs most of SNE.   Here it’s  pretty much required.

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

If you are going to sped money get heat splits, get a big rebate, use as tax deduction 

Not familiar with the term.  Is that another name for heat pump or something entirely different.  We put in a heat pump last November knowing 95% of its use would be for cooling, and it's done that very nicely.  We got a big rebate plus a decent one-time federal tax credit that combined were more than 40% of our cash outlay.  Electric bill went up some but not tragic given the increased comfort.

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Not familiar with the term.  Is that another name for heat pump or something entirely different.  We put in a heat pump last November knowing 95% of its use would be for cooling, and it's done that very nicely.  We got a big rebate plus a decent one-time federal tax credit that combined were more than 40% of our cash outlay.  Electric bill went up some but not tragic given the increased comfort.

Yes same, ductless and with ducts

37 minutes ago, weathafella said:

My guess is your average summer might is about 10F cooler at your elevation vs most of SNE.   Here it’s  pretty much required.

Same here. The CT shoreline is now classified humid subtropical. I think parts of SE Mass are as well. I run my central air well into October. I have had endless 72+ dewy nights here this month and like 14 80+ days. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lots of black mold in all 4 of ours I noticed yesterday. It’s impossible to get it all

What I've been doing is spraying the insides with bleach spray and then using a hose to clean out the insides.  I've seen some YouTube videos on how to do thorough cleanings of A/C units but a lot of the current units being sold do not open as easily as the older units that used to be on the market.  It sucks...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Speaking of CMP, can yo explain how question 1 is allowed to ask two entirely different questions? It's obvious hydro quebec wants to confuse the voter, but how is it legal to have two yes/no questions in the same ballot, but be unrelated to one another?

9 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

What I've been doing is spraying the insides with bleach spray and then using a hose to clean out the insides.  I've seen some YouTube videos on how to do thorough cleanings of A/C units but a lot of the current units being sold do not open as easily as the older units that used to be on the market.  It sucks...

I try to get in there with Clorox wipes and Q-tips, but you just cannot get all of it. Blows 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Speaking of CMP, can yo explain how question 1 is allowed to ask two entirely different questions? It's obvious hydro quebec wants to confuse the voter, but how is it legal to have two yes/no questions in the same ballot, but be unrelated to one another?

Just vote yes on 1 to get rid of the energy corridor.

• Like 1