• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.

moneypitmike

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Oh I enjoyed summer, I just hate window units with a burning passion.  Never would be any sadness in removing one of those from a window and opening it up fresh to the world lol.

I can’t imagine being locked up for so many months with those things.  But it’s a necessity.

The darkness this time of year is definitely the worst part.

Not a huge fan myself.... 

One has to research - it turns out - or tbey'll end up buying a unit that roars like testing at emission controls.  I mean it is easy to impulse buy a 180$ unit, but that's what you get if you do ... ghastly above white noise, window-casing buzzers.  Good luck sleeping with a unit that roars, but then also rumbles whenever the compressor kicks on.  You end up wrapping a sweaty pillow around your head, anything to back-drop the sound toward a more pleasing sort of white noised decibel. 

There are "quiet" running units, apparently.  I think it's an obsolescence scandal.  

I mean think about it ... they have perfected the science and in turn, manufacturing of air conditioning to the point where they know precisely how annoying to the point of agony they can "force" you into spending 600$ on the 5000 BTU'er.   Dicks... So they got the parts for cheap layin' around, snap 'em together in a facility out side of Hong Kong for 2.00/hr ... toss 'em out on the shelves for a buck-80, taking the longer 'extortion' view that you'll then be successfully driven battier than two Tuesdays in the same week of Hades enough to mortgage your kid's future on the high tech version that really isn't any more money for them to manufacture.  Yeah, Capitalism works. 

Also, I am not entirely convinced these louder, cheaper shelf emptier units are the most power efficient.  I mean, when the window casing and walls vibrate when the compressors kick on, that is electrical energy being converted into mechanical energy ...which means, that is a LOT of electricity being used in order to resonate the f'n physical edifice of the home.  

SO, ...my goal, prior to next summer's CC/GW New England heat apocalypse, in having no choice, is to give up my left testicle for adoption and spend 1000$ seeking the quiet sanity of the "higher grade" version. 

Usually ( actually..) I just deal with the heat because of the loudness factor, until no acclimation is sufficient and I cave. Summers appear to be getting DP hotter anyway, keeping nights elevated..etc.  So if can find one that doesn't sound like the anus of Logan must be fartin' at the other end of the room... blah blah

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

One has to research - it turns out - or tbey'll end up buying a unit that roars like testing at emission controls.  I mean it is easy to impulse buy a 180$ unit, but that's what you get if you do ... ghastly above white noise, window-casing buzzers.  Good luck sleeping with a unit that roars, but then also rumbles whenever the compressor kicks on.  You end up wrapping a sweaty pillow around your head, anything to back-drop the sound toward a more pleasing sort of white noised decibel. 

There are "quiet" running units, apparently.  I think it's an obsolescence scandal.  

I mean think about it ... they have perfected the science and in turn, manufacturing of air conditioning to the point where they know precisely how annoying to the point of agony they can "force" you into spending 600$ on the 5000 BTU'er.   Dicks... So they got the parts for cheap layin' around, snap 'em together in a facility out side of Hong Kong for 2.00/hr ... toss 'em out on the shelves for a buck-80, taking the longer 'extortion' view that you'll then be successfully driven battier than two Tuesdays in the same week of Hades enough to mortgage your kid's future on the high tech version that really isn't any more money for them to manufacture.  Yeah, Capitalism works. 

Also, I am not entirely convinced these louder, cheaper shelf emptier units are the most power efficient.  I mean, when the window casing and walls vibrate when the compressors kick on, that is electrical energy being converted into mechanical energy ...which means, that is a LOT of electricity being used in order to resonate the f'n physical edifice of the home.  

SO, ...my goal, prior to next summer's CC/GW New England heat apocalypse, in having no choice, is to give up my left testicle for adoption and spend 1000$ quiet, higher grade version. 

Usually ( actually..) I just deal with the heat because of the loudness factor, until no acclimation is sufficient and I cave. Summers appear to be getting DP hotter anyway, keeping nights elevated..etc.  So if can find one that doesn't sound like the anus of Logan must be fartin' at the other end of the room... blah blah

If you are going to sped money get heat splits, get a big rebate, use as tax deduction 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

SO, ...my goal, prior to next summer's CC/GW New England heat apocalypse, in having no choice, is to give up my left testicle for adoption and spend 1000$ seeking the quiet sanity of the "higher grade" version. 

We are the opposite - 4 window units cool our 1 floor ranch. One of the larger units is insanely loud when the compressor turns on.

We just deal with the noise. I’m fact it’s helps with my son as the a/c noise helps drown out noises from the bathroom  and kitchen that’s right near him.

IMO biggest issue now with Window units is mold buildup. The new high efficiency units intentionally keep water in the unit to use for evaporative cooling to help supplement the compressor.  Every year it’s a battle in preventing mild buildup on these things. The two larger units I have that are not Energy Star rated drain from the bottom still and don’t nearly have as much of an issue.

2 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

We are the opposite - 4 window units cool our 1 floor ranch. One of the larger units is insanely loud when the compressor turns on.

We just deal with the noise. I’m fact it’s helps with my son as the a/c noise helps drown out noises from the bathroom  and kitchen that’s right near him.

IMO biggest issue now with Window units is mold buildup. The new high efficiency units intentionally keep water in the unit to use for evaporative cooling to help supplement the compressor.  Every year it’s a battle in preventing mild buildup on these things. The two larger units I have that are not Energy Star rated drain from the bottom still and don’t nearly have as much of an issue.

Lots of black mold in all 4 of ours I noticed yesterday. It’s impossible to get it all

10 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

Embarrassing, loud toilet exploding, deuce-dropping-noise-moments?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

We uninstall too. A very sad day. Adele "Hello" song playing in background as AC lugged downstairs and tears wept.

"Hello" is such a weird song.  Singer treats partner badly, breaks their heart, and is now upset that person won't accept her calls and acts like she is the wounded party, mad at the other for moving on.  

Beautiful day here in BTV

8 minutes ago, klw said:

"Hello" is such a weird song.  Singer treats partner badly, breaks their heart, and is now upset that person won't accept her calls and acts like she is the wounded party, mad at the other for moving on.  

Beautiful day here in BTV

'Art imitating cultural'

What you've described ( I suspect you know already...) is the classic moving arc of the narcissist.  Maybe that's all the author of the song is after, ..that specific aspect through song.  But, it's also possible that since western cultures appear to have a swelling problem with narcissism and entitlement, it makes sense the artistry reflects that, too.

13 minutes ago, weathafella said:

In normal times, if you’re selling your home  anywhere in SNE and parts of NNE without Central ac or splits you’re going to take a hit.   Window units are less efficient and with all the issues everyone here mentions.   

In normal times, a 3 BR, 1.5 bath Cape style home that needs a new kitchen would be listed for $400k. Today, that same home is selling for $400k after it burns down!  See Melrose. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, weathafella said:

In normal times, if you’re selling your home  anywhere in SNE and parts of NNE without Central ac or splits you’re going to take a hit.   Window units are less efficient and with all the issues everyone here mentions.   

Yep. Don't understand how people live in 400k houses but won't spend the money for central air or mini splits.  There are  crazy state and federal rebates for splits and central ac in every New England state. 

My sister has a few rental houses in Narragansett RI and had to install ac in all of them a couple years ago. Its like the top question when people rent in the summer. 

Just now, BrianW said:

Yep. Don't understand how people live in 400k houses but won't spend the money for central air or mini splits.  There are  crazy state and federal rebates for splits and central ac in every New England state. 

My sister has a few rental houses in Narragansett RI and had to install ac in all of them a couple years ago. Its like the top question when people rent in the summer. 

Can't build anything new without AC due to the Energy Codes.

18 minutes ago, BrianW said:

It may be the upfront expenditure and availability. 

Some people are in these small homes because they can't be someplace else... They may still have a mortgage too.   So, their contribution may not be feasible when putting in central air into a home that doesn't even have ducting infrastructure is probably something they can't afford without saving pennies for 10 years - which can be done, but people also have to live lives ...otherwise, wtf are we doing this thing called life for. you know? abject poverty doesn't stop at Section 8 auxiliary or worse housing...it's slackens gradually from bottom up.

58 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Even pre Covid, most people I know around here(full time residents) are not expecting central AC because so many don't have them.  Honestly having central AC had minimal impact on pricing I think. I remember looking at like 30-40 houses and maybe a handful had central AC.  It is certainly a nice to have, especially with increasingly dewy summers, but around here it is almost a novelty, like having a pool.  I would love central AC, but don't even remember it on our wish list when house shopping.  Maybe I was in the wrong price range--sub $1 mill..lol.

There are definitely is an uptick in the mini split route it seems around here.