• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.

moneypitmike

9 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Are they mini because it's early or does it mean something? I have a ton on my street, I'm turning them into much driving over them.

There small to begin with, 3/4-1", And they have only produced as far as i can remember starting about 5 yrs ago, Reading up on them, It looks like the tree needs to mature to 20 yrs before they produce but this is the most i have seen, The other thing with the red oaks, They shed only about 30% of there leaves in the fall and the other 70% come off in the spring.

23 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yes they're mini, First time i've seen the squirrels wrecking the leaves too, There all over the yard.

Omg yes…little oak twigs all over the yard. They’ve been swinging through the branches from tree to tree more aggressively this year too. It’s like monkeys in the trees.

• Like 1

Just now, dendrite said:

Omg yes…little oak twigs all over the yard. They’ve been swinging through the branches from tree to tree more aggressively this year too. It’s like monkeys in the trees.

One of there brethren was in the middle of the road dead in front of the driveway that got run over, I was thinking of hanging him in the tree to get them to stop........lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

We have that happen every year. But this is a first.....I have a squirrel trying to eat paint off my deck. I’m not kidding lol.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, DotRat_Wx said:

How is everyone doing?

We are almost there.

I work weekends very early. Getting up at 5:30a these first few brisk days has given me incredible flashbacks to college. Waking up at the azz crack of dawn for football practice. I miss it, but I don't at the same time. 

I am very much looking forward to winter. I love it. Such an exciting part of the year. Our first cold shots of air coming our way. 

All of this rain and greenery about to be frozen dead within a month. Exciting!!!!

How is the outlook looking? @40/70 Benchmark

Are the hens getting laid? @dendrite

How fat are the squirrels this year? @weathafella

I had a couple of blogs this week... check it out.

Looks like some nights coming up in the 30's here this week, Getting close to the first frost, Acorns on my red oaks are insane but they are small and in my driveway, The squirrels are ripping the leaves with the acorns and branches off the trees.
Snowmobile trailer is full of pock marks

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Hello air from the outside...

Dews hit 70 about 50 times..

To thank you for the inches...of rain at home...

Without the hum of the A/C..I feel so alone...oohhh whoaaa whoaaahhh

Sad times indeed. Especially when facing another mild , rainy winter ahead  from north to south .

11 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

We have that happen every year. But this is a first.....I have a squirrel trying to eat paint off my deck. I’m not kidding lol.

Some paints/stains are attractive to critters.  When I worked up north for Seven Islands, town line boundaries got blue paint and interior ownership lines red, both with Benjamin Moore paint.  The blue was never touched but bears coming out of hibernation often chewed most of the paint off red-painted cedar corner posts - wood chips scattered all over.
All oaks, red group or white, hold some brown leaves until bud break in spring, but Jeff's pin oaks hold more of their leaves than the common Northern red oak or most other oaks.  Pin oak also has the best reds of any of the northerly oaks.