• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.

moneypitmike

A surprisingly nice day today in western ME after it looked to be wall to wall gloom through the weekend. Upper 70s and very breezy. The low marine crap cleared out around noon and the dewpoints mixed down once the wind came up. It's oddly reminiscent of a cold frontal passage even though we're supposed to be in the warm sector.

As for the July laments, I have to say that southern AZ went through similar times that month with much above normal precip and well below normal highs.

3 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

couple Oct snows with epic summer rains and we're porked for the winter.

Oct snow is not what concerns me, though the winters following our 5 Octobers with measurable SN were either ratters or bumpers for snow and almost canceled out each other.   Current average here is 89.0".
05-06/11-12 averaged 58.9"  (66.2%)
00-01/10-11/18-19 averaged 112.3"  (126.2%)
All 5:  92.5"  (103.9%)

It's Oct/Nov temps that show some significant trends in our 23 autumns here:
Month  Years   SN % of avg
Oct AN      10     106.8%
Oct BN      13       94.8%

Nov AN     12       87.6%
Nov BN     11       113.5%

Both AN     5         89.4%
Both BN     6        104.6%

O.AN/N.BN  5       124.2%
O.BN/N.AN  7         86.4%    This was last year's Oct/Nov - worst case scenario.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Oct snow is not what concerns me, though the winters following our 5 Octobers with measurable SN were either ratters or bumpers for snow and almost canceled out each other.   Current average here is 89.0".
05-06/11-12 averaged 58.9"  (66.2%)
00-01/10-11/18-19 averaged 112.3"  (126.2%)
All 5:  92.5"  (103.9%)

It's Oct/Nov temps that show some significant trends in our 23 autumns here:
Month  Years   SN % of avg
Oct AN      10     106.8%
Oct BN      13       94.8%

Nov AN     12       87.6%
Nov BN     11       113.5%

Both AN     5         89.4%
Both BN     6        104.6%

O.AN/N.BN  5       124.2%
O.BN/N.AN  7         86.4%    This was last year's Oct/Nov - worst case scenario.

It appears that your weather in November the winter will remember....

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Of the 0.91 versus 0.70s?

I didn't see if there were wetter radar estimates near him versus the N-S line of ~0.70".

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

He gets all mad. Must be the upslope over the mound of doggie doo in his front yard?

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

So far he’s been cool , calm and collected . 

Odd so many many posters talked about that 5 mile wide stripe yesterday.  You would think a man who has a BS in Met would understand weather.  We have seen over the years how many times he has questioned every one about there obs. Why would I inflate rain numbers lol. Dude is so intent on being Mr Right yet can't mount his own Davis. Just laugh him off. Best he look in his own backyard and keep his nose out of others.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Odd so many many posters talked about that 5 mile wide stripe yesterday.  You would think a man who has a BS in Met would understand weather.  We have seen over the years how many times he has questioned every one about there obs. Why would I inflate rain numbers lol. Dude is so intent on being Mr Right yet can't mount his own Davis. Just laugh him off. Best he look in his own backyard and keep his nose out of others.

You are higher than others many times. Hey, I just care about good data. Maybe you get run off...I don't know...I just find it curious.  I've brought things like Logan to the table many times...it's not like I'm making this up.   

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You are higher than others many times. Hey, I just care about good data. Maybe you get run off...I don't know...I just find it curious.  I've brought things like Logan to the table many times...it's not like I'm making this up.   

Thats bull crap though Scott.  You fail to mention all the times in July and August when I was actually the lowest. The nearest PWS to me a couple miles west registered .83. I am totally confident in all my readings. Been doing it since 1989. You need to stop being so facetious and man up and put up your weather station. Logan is a joke who cares. Run off from what? Lol 

Screenshot_20210923-173442_Chrome.jpg

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Thats bull crap though Scott.  You fail to mention all the times in July and August when I was actually the lowest. The nearest PWS to me a couple miles west registered .83. I am totally confident in all my readings. Been doing it since 1989. You need to stop being so facetious and man up and put up your weather station. Logan is a joke who cares. Run off from what? Lol 

Screenshot_20210923-173442_Chrome.jpg

That’s fine. Just things I’ve noticed. Not for nothing, but the WU stations are sometimes terrible. Maybe that one is right. No BS here. Those tipping buckets can go awry in each direction. I’m a little disappointed in mine so I use a gauge. 

10 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

So does the queen carry her eggs all winter?

From what I read, she builds an initial nest for a handful of eggs.  The hatched hornets do something that leads to the 'hornet's nest paper'.  As more eggs get laid hatched, the nest gets larger and larger.  Ultimately, there are about 750 hornets in the nest. 

8 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Hopefully once this humidity subsides late Saturday, we are done with it.

It's done until 12/24.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s fine. Just things I’ve noticed. Not for nothing, but the WU stations are sometimes terrible. Maybe that one is right. No BS here. Those tipping buckets can go awry in each direction. I’m a little disappointed in mine so I use a gauge. 

I use an old-school rain gauge.

I also always double check my mercury thermometer against my low end weather station.