• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.

moneypitmike

19 hours ago, SouthCoastMA said:

I paid $160 for a guy to remove a bald-face hornets nest from my maple tree in the front yard. It was massive..and given what I saw him do..and the amount of effort it took..I do not recommend it as a DIY either, especially a nest that is inside your house.  He was getting lit up when he disturbed it, though obviously with the proper protective gear

PXL_20210819_141344298_2.thumb.jpg.b86fa42cda6f1e3400d10210a0037620.jpg

We have a nest like that--maybe a little larger--in a rhododendron.  They'll be done with in a few weeks.  Everyone but the queen dies and she goes and hibernates somewhere for the winter.  The nest will be abandoned and a new one started by the queen somewhere else in the spring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

We have a nest like that--maybe a little larger--in a rhododendron.  They'll be done with in a few weeks.  Everyone but the queen dies and she goes and hibernates somewhere for the winter.  The nest will be abandoned and a new one started by the queen somewhere else in the spring.

So does the queen carry her eggs all winter?

2 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

I had thoughts about letting it stay - but didn't want to risk it with a Golden and a toddler. 

• Like 1