• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.

moneypitmike

3 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It’s interesting because myself and others around here have noted a distinct lack of yellow jackets this year.  Maybe it’s just particular to this area but you never want to see a pollinator species thin off, even if they are jerks with wings. 

We have paper wasps all during the warm season, but the yellowjackets have arrived in force once they had apple drops on which to gorge.

Cloudy, near 70 and dewy.  Light dz became light RA as I drove into Farmington for an 8 AM Dr appt and did the opposite an hour later as I drove home.  The thicker dz hasn't reached here yet.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I mean we have the next few days, but it’s broken. I think we all said there would be a few days of this. 

This is kind of the definition of summer's back broken....we had this huge ridge aloft and the best we could get out of it was a dirty warm sector with temps in the upper 70s.

Some other years we'd make a run at 90+ in this type of ridging.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This is kind of the definition of summer's back broken....we had this huge ridge aloft and the best we could get out of it was a dirty warm sector with temps in the upper 70s.

On Sep 20 ? 

I guess ... I saw some climate records but it seems pretty rare to me to be in the 90s after .. circa Sep 15 but whatever - I get the gist..

Not that my opinion matters much ... but summer's back broke back in late August. What's happening since, however, is obfuscating factors.

We are running positive height anomalies after the fact. Non-hydrostatic heights still running warm everywhere, muting troughs in the models heading into shorter terms... The look, and that behavior, don't spin very back breaky - because based upon linear climate... they aren't.  

We were 84 to 88 in three of the last February and/or Marches over the last 5 years, with 558 to 564 thickness..  It playing its self out in both ways. It's not allowing warm days, without cooling the hemisphere yet ( much ).  Oh it will ... cool that is.  But a day like today, we're getting cool weather,  relative to heights. Sorry , we are.

If it matters, we have to think of this crap in relative terms:  20 years ago, this is not broke when it's 79/69...  Nor when looking at the 'hydrostatic' ( actual thickness), being near 570 for 3 or 4 consecutive days, that can't be very convincingly justified. If the sun came out, it would be 84/70 today.... we probably would not be conditioned to even engage this discussion - even though the back is broke either way. We just happened to mask that with SE flow ... heah.

It's over relative to this year's temperature patterning and ability to launch. But it's kind of getting blurred

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's not just about the high temps.  It's about the dews and the low temps as well. 

46 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yes, that’s what the difference was… it feels like an autumn warmth because it’s got that “dirty” warm vibe.  Cloudy, lower temps, breezy, etc.

It just doesn’t have the punch it did a few weeks ago.

16 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

It's not just about the high temps.  It's about the dews and the low temps as well. 

To me it’s almost all about sweat . Low  60’s at nite are comfortable (run AC anyway) So it doesn’t matter if that’s plus 7 . 

If it’s mid 70’s w a breeze and cloudy comfy , couldn’t care if heights are 588. 

Consistently Comfortable for out door activities = back broken to me 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

That is a very good point. I don't want those suckers getting inside and all angry. I'm going to take the appropriate measures to get rid of the nest ASAP. 

Wait until dark, use the industrial strength extended nozzle type ,stick it in the hole and load it up. You will kill them. I smoked 2 ground nests and one under the deck this year. Adios muthafukkers

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

9/24/2017
BDL    92
ORH   86
GYX   89
CAR   88
Farm  90
Dews probably mid-60s.

• Like 1