• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.

moneypitmike

7 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Do they relocate the bees or kill them?

Most won't relocate a hornets nest.

It is typically honey bees that will be relocated and you normally won't have to pay for it on honey bees. If you find a honey bees nest on your property, you usually can get a bee keeper to take them out for free because they are a hot commodity.

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

That is a very good point. I don't want those suckers getting inside and all angry. I'm going to take the appropriate measures to get rid of the nest ASAP. 

You may want to find where they are getting in from and try and seal that inside opening if possible before you try and poison them from the outside opening....assuming you can seal it without them attacking you.

13 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Watch the seafood though. Some of that is farmed in some swill tank in Vietnam. A lot of fish may be farmed,  but in open water it’s generally ok. I know it’s not cheap, but it’s a healthy source of protein. 

Salmon on the grill last night - love it.  (Undoubtedly farmed, Maine, Maritimes, maybe even Norway as they're the world leader by far in farmed salmon.)

• Like 1

Just now, Cyclone-68 said:

Won’t the first frost kill them off anyway? Certainly understandable  if you don’t want to wait a few weeks for that to happen. 

That was an idea, however, the number of bees making it inside has escalated quite a bit today. Probably close to a couple dozen which have gotten inside today. 

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Here is the correct pic

Do you rent or own- if you rent -Can you spray it and then throw some caulking up there and seal that crack?

If you own I'd call someone out there and see if they can find the nest- I wouldn't go poking around my walls without at least some idea of where i was looking. just me tho.

6 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Won’t the first frost kill them off anyway? Certainly understandable  if you don’t want to wait a few weeks for that to happen. 

Nope, not with a nest that is partially inside the walls. They can easily last into November, especially if it's not super cold this October/early November.

That nest needs to be destroyed ASAP.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

That was an idea, however, the number of bees making it inside has escalated quite a bit today. Probably close to a couple dozen which have gotten inside today. 

Yeah you want to call someone ASAP if you've had a couple dozen inside so far today at 11am.

We had bees in the fall it make it into our place through a crack in the brick siding.  Once it got cold outside, they started coming inside through any crack they could find.  Best $125 ever spent was having a Pest Control come out the next day and take care of it.  Later on when we were re-painting our walls, we took off the light switch covers and found numerous dead bees behind each one.

3 minutes ago, Supernovice said:

Do you rent or own- if you rent -Can you spray it and then throw some caulking up there and seal that crack?

If you own I'd call someone out there and see if they can find the nest- I wouldn't go poking around my walls without at least some idea of where i was looking. just me tho.

If he rents, then the landlord is obligated to take care of that. I'd prob just call the landlord and say I'll schedule the professional to come in, and I'll just deduct it off my rent next month, or something like that. Assuming you have one or two hundred bucks up front you can spare.

A couple dozen getting inside already today tells me this is pretty large nest. Probably at least 500 yellow jackets and possibly way more.

If you can go outside and see where the nest entrance is and count how often you see them entering/exiting then that will give you a good idea. If you see like 10 or more entering/exiting every few seconds, then you have a massive nest.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

The social wasps - wasps, hornets, yellowjackets - all die in the fall except the queen, which hibernates (in the ground, I think).  Yellowjackets in particular always seem to get dopey this time of year - more pesty about your food, less aggressive about stinging, easier to smack'
Most yellowjackets we've ever had in a house where I lived came when I was 5 y.o and came screaming thru the door with some awful buzzing coming from my clothes.  My mom had me strip to skivvies and hide in the bathroom while she did battle with a flyswatter.  With 5 down she gave the all clear but as soon as I came into the living room another flew out from under a lampshade and away I scrambled - twice.  Ended up with 7 lined up on the windowsill.  Can't remember how many stings I had, but it was the first of many dozen painful encounters with yellowjackets, wasps, hornets (and the occasional bumble or honeybee.) 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It’s interesting because myself and others around here have noted a distinct lack of yellow jackets this year.  Maybe it’s just particular to this area but you never want to see a pollinator species thin off, even if they are jerks with wings. 

I saw zero of the large hornets we get up here whereas last year I had several in my house every day. No clue where they went. Never see regular yellow jackets here.

So when is the "Kill the bugs" aspect of this thread's title going to happen ? 

jesus fuggin christ.  This is the latest in any calendar year I can recall having this many problems with this many mosquitoes... unrelenting.

I open my car door ... dive in, slam it behind me as quickly and expeditiously as possible without injury ... 4 or 5 darting at the windshield.  They're getting in the house just because my storm door has that stupid lag that slows the gate and they've "learned" to time it.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

So when is the "Kill the bugs" aspect of this thread's title going to happen ? 

jesus fuggin christ.  This is the latest in any calendar year I can recall having this many problems with this many mosquitoes... unrelenting.

I open my car door ... dive in, slam it behind me as quickly and expeditiously as possible without injury ... 4 or 5 darting at the windshield.  They're getting in the house just because my storm door has that stupid lag that slows the gate and they've "learned" to time it.

Climate is shifting north.

Down south, people have resigned themselves to the fact that the Raleigh climate is now Atlanta, Richmond is now Raleigh, and DC is Richmond. It all shifted north. I'm thinking parts of SNE are now like NYC/NJ climo, whereas NY/NJ are like central MD climate. Areas south of SC are getting too hot for me to even deal with at this point.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Climate is shifting north.

Down south, people have resigned themselves to the fact that the Raleigh climate is now Atlanta, Richmond is now Raleigh, and DC is Richmond. It all shifted north. I'm thinking parts of SNE are now like NYC/NJ climo, whereas NY/NJ are like central MD climate. Areas south of SC are getting too hot for me to even deal with at this point.

True ... but, with the exception of what it means to snow vs liquid contentions, "noted"