• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.

moneypitmike

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Unbelievable sky this morning.  Did you see the little dipper alignment with the planets. Pretty awesome morning look. Wish the rain would stay away.

Socked in with pea soup here. Happens everytime SE flow and dews first come back . With Tolland not having street lights. It’s pitch black when foggy other than house that have outdoor lights on 

One day last week I noticed there were several yellow jackets inside on some curtains. So I did some further exploring and found many dead ones on the inside of the window and on the floor behind a piece of furniture. I was stunned because I had just cleaned in that area not long ago. I did some looking around the window area (both inside and outside) and could not figure out how the bees came inside. So I got rid of all the bees. 

Well the past few days I noticed more bees getting inside. I did some additional exploring and by our front door there seems to be a nest and I noticed bees were coming in from the screen door...from the top right of it and zero clue how because there are no holes. This morning I found several in the kitchen. 

I sprayed last night in the whole where the bees come in and out of but what else can be done? 

What also shocks me is...for yellow jackets these things don't appear to be very aggressive. Even inside...they just hang around on an object or walk across the floor. Even when I swat at the ones by the door so they fly outside...they aren't aggressive. 

Normal bee spray won't work on yellow jackets in nest like that. Your just going to get them angry. You need to use a professional spray or powder that you use on the entrance hole and they bring deep inside the nest. 

Do it yourself pest control online sells what you need. 

6 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

One day last week I noticed there were several yellow jackets inside on some curtains. So I did some further exploring and found many dead ones on the inside of the window and on the floor behind a piece of furniture. I was stunned because I had just cleaned in that area not long ago. I did some looking around the window area (both inside and outside) and could not figure out how the bees came inside. So I got rid of all the bees. 

Well the past few days I noticed more bees getting inside. I did some additional exploring and by our front door there seems to be a nest and I noticed bees were coming in from the screen door...from the top right of it and zero clue how because there are no holes. This morning I found several in the kitchen. 

I sprayed last night in the whole where the bees come in and out of but what else can be done? 

What also shocks me is...for yellow jackets these things don't appear to be very aggressive. Even inside...they just hang around on an object or walk across the floor. Even when I swat at the ones by the door so they fly outside...they aren't aggressive. 

For several years I have noticed the same type of yellow jackets in my yard. They are very docile. I've never been bothered by them.  They just go about their business in a quiet manner. 

Is your home vinyl sided?  If it is the bees are possibly finding their way under the vinyl siding and then emerging along the door.  Another possibility is the bees are entering in the same area that wires enter your home. Check those areas carefully for any signs of tiny holes. Great Stuff works great to fill holes/gaps. Bondo Wood Filler also works great. 

2 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Normal bee spray won't work on yellow jackets in nest like that. Your just going to get them angry. You need to use a professional spray or powder that you use on the entrance hole and they bring deep inside the nest. 

Do it yourself pest control online sells what you need. 

Thanks...good to know!! Will order something. 

2 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

For several years I have noticed the same type of yellow jackets in my yard. They are very docile. I've never been bothered by them.  They just go about their business in a quiet manner. 

Is your home vinyl sided?  If it is the bees are possibly finding their way under the vinyl siding and then emerging along the door.  Another possibility is the bees are entering in the same area that wires enter your home. Check those areas carefully for any signs of tiny holes. Great Stuff works great to fill holes/gaps. Bondo Wood Filler also works great. 

Yes, vinyl siding. I'm going to assess the vinyl siding closer this evening but there are some additional "weakness" I've found but I've at least found the main hole the bees are coming in/out of. I did explore some of the areas where wires enter the house but I didn't notice any activity from those. There seems to be some sort of weakness within the screen door allowing them to come in. Or there are small enough gaps along the edge of the door...but it's crazy how so many would find such small holes. 

We have ivy growing up our chimney on the side of the house, which I have to cut back this week due to the siding being replaced.  The ivy is currently flowering and is LOADED with yellow jackets.  Apparently they love the flowers.  But I've been up on a ladder cutting back the ivy with them all around me and they could care less.

17 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Yes, vinyl siding. I'm going to assess the vinyl siding closer this evening but there are some additional "weakness" I've found but I've at least found the main hole the bees are coming in/out of. I did explore some of the areas where wires enter the house but I didn't notice any activity from those. There seems to be some sort of weakness within the screen door allowing them to come in. Or there are small enough gaps along the edge of the door...but it's crazy how so many would find such small holes. 

All it takes is a narrow space for bees to enter.  Do you know anyone who does vinyl siding? If you do contact the person and have the siding removed in that area. It is not difficult to do.  In the picture I noticed the wires around the door and what appears to be a gap along the metal above the door. And it appears  there is an awning. 

Several years ago a friend had an issue with bees getting into his home. He found that the bees were entering in a tiny space in one of the support poles for the awning. The bees would travel the length of the support pole and then enter the home. 

Try setting up a video camera in the area if you are unable to figure out where the bees are entering the home. 

Edit: I forgot to mention that Home Depot, Lowes, and Amazon sell vinyl siding repairs kits. They work well to repair holes in siding. And Home Depot and Lowes will color match the siding for touch up paint

7 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

All it takes is a narrow space for bees to enter.  Do you know anyone who does vinyl siding? If you do contact the person and have the siding removed in that area. It is not difficult to do.  In the picture I noticed the wires around the door and what appears to be a gap along the metal above the door. And it appears  there is an awning. 

Several years ago a friend had an issue with bees getting into his home. He found that the bees were entering in a tiny space in one of the support poles for the awning. The bees would travel the length of the support pole and then enter the home. 

Try setting up a video camera in the area if you are unable to figure out where the bees are entering the home. 

This is great information! Thanks a ton 

Wiz, be careful with yellow jackets...they are very aggressive near their nest. Just because you somehow haven't disturbed them too much yet doesn't mean it won't happen at some point soon...and you do not want to get them disturbed since they can access inside your home.

You need to get rid of that ASAP. I'd definitely either call someone or at least order some of the powder. The only thing that worries me about trying to get them yourself is that if you infect their nest from the outside, they may try and go further in your house to seek relief and that is something you do not want. It sucks, but it might be worth just biting the bullet and paying a pro like 100 bucks to get rid of it.

Just now, weatherwiz said:

This is great information! Thanks a ton 

You're welcome. There are numerous videos on Youtube that will help you.  One other thing if there is a small amount of wood rot in the area the area can be repaired by using Bondo Rotted Wood Restorer and Bondo Wood filler. Works great and is easy to do. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Wiz, be careful with yellow jackets...they are very aggressive near their nest. Just because you somehow haven't disturbed them too much yet doesn't mean it won't happen at some point soon...and you do not want to get them disturbed since they can access inside your home.

You need to get rid of that ASAP. I'd definitely either call someone or at least order some of the powder. The only thing that worries me about trying to get them yourself is that if you infect their nest from the outside, they may try and go further in your house to seek relief and that is something you do not want. It sucks, but it might be worth just biting the bullet and paying a pro like 100 bucks to get rid of it.

I learned that the hard way as a kid lol...I was throwing rocks at a nest...my dad warned me stop, then before I knew it, I was swarmed and had to be taken to the ER haha

I paid $160 for a guy to remove a bald-face hornets nest from my maple tree in the front yard. It was massive..and given what I saw him do..and the amount of effort it took..I do not recommend it as a DIY either, especially a nest that is inside your house.  He was getting lit up when he disturbed it, though obviously with the proper protective gear

PXL_20210819_141344298_2.thumb.jpg.b86fa42cda6f1e3400d10210a0037620.jpg

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I learned that the hard way as a kid lol...I was throwing rocks at a nest...my dad warned me stop, then before I knew it, I was swarmed and had to be taken to the ER haha

Similar story. me and best friend thought it would be fun to throw apples and next hanging from a pine tree, followed up by garden hose. Stupid. Surprisingly, only got stung once.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

I paid $160 for a guy to remove a bald-face hornets nest from my maple tree in the front yard. It was massive..and given what I saw him do..and the amount of effort it took..I do not recommend it as a DIY either, especially a nest that is inside your house.  He was getting lit up when he disturbed it, though obviously with the proper protective gear

PXL_20210819_141344298_2.thumb.jpg.b86fa42cda6f1e3400d10210a0037620.jpg

Do they relocate the bees or kill them?

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That is a very good point. I don't want those suckers getting inside and all angry. I'm going to take the appropriate measures to get rid of the nest ASAP.