• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.

moneypitmike

Triglycerides and LDL-particle number are the two to really watch. Obviously higher HDL is a benefit. Cleaning up the diet really makes a difference. We eat a lot of food that we didn’t evolve to eat. I’m a big believer that ancestry/DNA plays a major role as well. Different nationalities evolved for thousands of years eating food native to their location. The Kitavan people traditionally eat 70% of their cals from tubers/sweet potatoes whereas the Inuit eat very few carbs and lots of fatty ocean meat including blubber/seals. They are both known to have good heart health, but they get there in different ways.

I respond well to being in ketosis, but when I start adding in things like coconut or very dark chocolate I feel like it raises my BP. I have western European heritage so I’m pretty far removed from those foods being in my diet. Bananas are a weird one for me too. 10-15 mins after eating one is guaranteed heart burn for me. So everyone’s mileage varies when it comes to diet. You need to experiment to find what causes you inflammation and what doesn’t.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Triglycerides and LDL-particle number are the two to really watch. Obviously higher HDL is a benefit. Cleaning up the diet really makes a difference. We eat a lot of food that we didn’t evolve to eat. I’m a big believer that ancestry/DNA plays a major role as well. Different nationalities evolved for thousands of years eating food native to their location. The Kitavan people traditionally eat 70% of their cals from tubers/sweet potatoes whereas the Inuit eat very few carbs and lots of fatty ocean meat including blubber/seals. They are both known to have good heart health, but they get there in different ways.

I respond well to being in ketosis, but when I start adding in things like coconut or very dark chocolate I feel like it raises my BP. I have western European heritage so I’m pretty far removed from those foods being in my diet. Bananas are a weird one for me too. 10-15 mins after eating one is guaranteed heart burn for me. So everyone’s mileage varies when it comes to diet. You need to experiment to find what causes you inflammation and what doesn’t.

Most people eat too much  horribly unhealthy crap 

some do better with a balance , some do better avoiding it all together and some change their habits when they have a health scare 

yolo...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I cut way back on my drinking, and I have been feeling a lot better in general. I pretty much end up feeling like shit whenever I drink now. Just not worth it aside from some rare occasions. I do still enjoy a cold, strong IPA from time to time or a stiff vodka drink.

I’m going on a month long dry spell here, it’s all catching up to me now in my mid-30s.  Drinking a couple double IPAs (many walkable restaurants/bars) with frequency will catch up to you.  I’m not in my 20s in a ski town anymore.  Mid-30s is a different ball game.

54/52 to make it weather relevant, this weather has been awesome.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I cut way back on my drinking, and I have been feeling a lot better in general. I pretty much end up feeling like shit whenever I drink now. Just not worth it aside from some rare occasions. I do still enjoy a cold, strong IPA from time to time or a stiff vodka drink.

That's me. Occasional beer no hard stuff. I did have some tequila this summer with my sister in law before she moved but I felt like crap for 2 days. Ice coffee no sugar. 

• Like 2

I'm in my 50's, work at a brewery and drink beer daily.  I just try to keep to a reasonably healthy diet, maintain a relatively low emotional and mental stress level and get out in nature.   My doctor says it seems to be working for me.  

IMHO stretching is really important as you get older.  Take time to chill out and stretch your connective tissues. 

• Like 2

Yeah I basically have almost stopped alcohol altogether.   It has a negative effect on my BP.  I eat very little red meat and not much poultry but lots of fish and beans.  I love broccoli and kale and all the other stuff most people hate.   My downfall is cheese but try to keep it in check.   Rare beer, rare gummy, but mostly I try to walk at least 5 miles daily.   Gonna try to get an indoor gym set up for winter-too risky on icy walks but ok with pure snow.   My main health issue is a head tremor which I’m working with a neurologist to try to control.   It’s familial and the main issue is that it makes me self conscious.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Very high cholesterol runs in my family. I have been on statins since I turned 18 and my total cholesterol was already high 200s at that time even though I was as thin as a rail and played various sports. Never had any side effects, that I am aware of at least. Liver numbers always looked good.

My HDL remains too low and my LDL too high. My triglycerides have also spiked at various points, but I made some additional dietary changes and they recently dropped. Without statins, my cholesterol would be off the charts right now and I would be headed for a heart attack at a fairly young age.

I am not a fatty who eats three burgers a day, either. My body just makes too much of the stuff.

So I recommend the drugs to anyone dealing with high cholesterol who already has a decent diet, keeps their weight in check, and exercises. 

i AM a fatty who drinks too much beer. my doc wanted me to go on statins for the past several years, but i was able to control the cholesterol with a better diet. Then I had a bit of a scare earlier this summer, as my BP was off the charts. I caved and started on the statins, and also on BP medication. feeling much better now though, so I got that going for me.

11 hours ago, dendrite said:

I heard VLDL is also important 

I have been on a diet for a month since I had my last blood work in early August.  I have lost 10 lbs and feel alot better. I'm trying to go down to 220 since I'm now 257.

My doctor put me on Vitamin  D and Policasnol which is an over the counter Cholesterol pill.

My blood work wasn't good last month

Liver enzymes were really high

Cholesterol: 270

Triglycerides:178

HDL:41

Ldl:195

VlDL was good

I have been drinking hot green tea every morning along with detox water and watching my calories. I still eat carbs but everything is whole wheat now.

4 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I have been on a diet for a month since I had my last blood work in early August.  I have lost 10 lbs and feel alot better. I'm trying to go down to 220 since I'm now 257.

My doctor put me on Vitamin  D and Policasnol which is an over the counter Cholesterol pill.

My blood work wasn't good last month

Liver enzymes were really high

Cholesterol: 270

Triglycerides:178

HDL:41

Ldl:195

VlDL was good

I have been drinking hot green tea every morning along with detox water and watching my calories. I still eat carbs but everything is whole wheat now.

Try cutting out as much sugar as you can stand to

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, radarman said:

Try cutting out as much sugar as you can stand to

My weight is the problem. I was 175 8 years ago in the academy then shot right up to 270 years after but now back down to 257. The only bread I eat is now whole wheat . Watching my calories are helping me.