• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.

moneypitmike

16 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

With 95% confidence levels of .19 degree, do you think the massive press releases of hottest July ever were warranted under your scientific reasoning.

Well NOAA released their report as they always do, and massive press coverage after that isn't really up to NOAA. And NOAA's observation dataset is still what it is relative to the other global datasets. They revised it down 0.01 degrees, so hardly a massive change from their initial report. The rest of the global suite didn't agree it was the hottest month ever - BUT they still agree it's at least tied for 3rd warmest behind 2019 and 2016. So I'm not sure the Wattsup blog is really dunking on anything. The fact is NOAA's dataset is still tied for the hottest July ever. 

I assume NOAA works much in the same way as NWS with deadlines to release certain climate info, and so they released the info they had on the date they were supposed to. It's not really a vast gov't wide conspiracy or anything. It's akin to BOX issuing the CLM saying BOS was +2.5 degrees above normal or whatever and then finding out that they had the low temp wrong on 7/13 and re-running it later. 

Outside of snow winter is pointless...it's stupid. It's depressing how short our warm season is up here and it's even more depressing when you factor in the length of day changes. And how many good snow storms to we really get a winter anyways? and honestly...outside of the weather aspect and what drives us to love snow...snow makes winter even worse as it creates more hassle than it's worth. There is zero enjoyment being outside in the winter...ZERO.

People can say what they want about the heat and the summer but at least outside of peak heating hours, being outside is tolerable and at least there is the beach/ocean to go to. Where do you go in the winter....ummm nowhere...maybe you're lucky and have a fireplace or a wood stove...but that is still INSIDE.  

Winter's you have to wear all this clothing and long sleeve crap and if you get dressed before you do your hair...you're totally screwed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 3

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

CAR does their 10/2 foliage picture every year. And there are differences on the specific date, but overall most years are pretty similar. Warmer than normal definitely holds peak off like 2015, but dry can lead to early drop like 2020. 

120298956_3616781968432886_5366483645213

Fascinating series.  The 2020 pic is surprising given the Sept temps.  Did they have a big wind event shortly prior to Oct. 2?

Photoperiod is definitely the basic driver of both leaf out and leaf color, though each process can be pushed earlier or later, by as much as 2 weeks in my experience.  Timing of leaf drop is often storm-related.  Color vibrancy is likely a result of multiple factors, rain, temps (and timing for each) and probably others.  I've read explanatory articles that often conflict with each other - it's kind of like using the color scheme on woolly worms to predict winter severity.  One study of the latter by a (now retired) Maine entomologist found a weak correlation but far from statistically robust given the sample size.

6 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Fascinating series.  The 2020 pic is surprising given the Sept temps.  Did they have a big wind event shortly prior to Oct. 2?

Photoperiod is definitely the basic driver of both leaf out and leaf color, though each process can be pushed earlier or later, by as much as 2 weeks in my experience.  Timing of leaf drop is often storm-related.  Color vibrancy is likely a result of multiple factors, rain, temps (and timing for each) and probably others.  I've read explanatory articles that often conflict with each other - it's kind of like using the color scheme on woolly worms to predict winter severity.  One study of the latter by a (now retired) Maine entomologist found a weak correlation but far from statistically robust given the sample size.

9/30/20 peak sustained of 39 mph and gust of 52 mph. That would do it.

24 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Outside of snow winter is pointless...it's stupid. It's depressing how short our warm season is up here and it's even more depressing when you factor in the length of day changes. And how many good snow storms to we really get a winter anyways? and honestly...outside of the weather aspect and what drives us to love snow...snow makes winter even worse as it creates more hassle than it's worth. There is zero enjoyment being outside in the winter...ZERO.

People can say what they want about the heat and the summer but at least outside of peak heating hours, being outside is tolerable and at least there is the beach/ocean to go to. Where do you go in the winter....ummm nowhere...maybe you're lucky and have a fireplace or a wood stove...but that is still INSIDE.  

Winter's you have to wear all this clothing and long sleeve crap and if you get dressed before you do your hair...you're totally screwed.

There’s always pond Hockey and Ice Fishing 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Unless it is a brutally cold windy winter day/ evening, I'd take the cold any day over high heat and humidity. I have a large inground  pool to boot. While I like the mild Spring and Fall weather better than sub freezing cold, the disgusting 90/70 days we were slapped with much of the Summer provide no enjoyment whatsoever. Cutting the lawn twice a week for 90 min at a time with gnats swarming your face and eyes and other bugs attracted to your sweat just sucks . The dog doesn't want to take a decent walk, nor do I in a putrid air mass under a Burger King french fry lamp sun. Winter is peaceful to take hikes and ski. There aren't annoying motorcycles riding by or people with windows open blasting loud music. You are right about the snow. You don't have to deal with it that often so unlike in Summer when the pool, the garden watering and the lawn are daily chores Id' rather not do after work, Winter I pull into the garage , wife makes dinner and I take the dog for a quiet walk. I then sit and relax watching a hockey game in front of the NG stove until bedtime. That doesn't suck

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Most penguins live in warm climates, including near the equator.

see they smart 

1 minute ago, Jeff Grann said:

Unless it is a brutally cold windy winter day/ evening, I'd take the cold any day over high heat and humidity. I have a large inground  pool to boot. While I like the mild Spring and Fall weather better than sub freezing cold, the disgusting 90/70 days we were slapped with much of the Summer provide no enjoyment whatsoever. Cutting the lawn twice a week for 90 min at a time with gnats swarming your face and eyes and other bugs attracted to your sweat just sucks . The dog doesn't want to take a decent walk, nor do I in a putrid air mass under a Burger King french fry lamp sun. Winter is peaceful to take hikes and ski. There aren't annoying motorcycles riding by or people with windows open blasting loud music. You are right about the snow. You don't have to deal with it that often so unlike in Summer when the pool, the garden watering and the lawn are daily chores Id' rather not do after work, Winter I pull into the garage , wife makes dinner and I take the dog for a quiet walk. I then sit and relax watching a hockey game in front of the NG stove until bedtime. That doesn't suck

I will agree...the gnats and bugs that swarm you in the summer really suck...that's probably the only thing I hate. 

24 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I think 2015 may be the most surprising to me.

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

see they smart 

I will agree...the gnats and bugs that swarm you in the summer really suck...that's probably the only thing I hate. 

The natural beauty of snow is enough for me. Winter enthusiasts have multiple reasons for their love of winter as do you of summer. I love all the seasons and would not trade it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

see they smart 

You could move to other areas to get away from some of that but then you have a new set of issues that are probably bigger then the bugs.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jeff Grann said:

Mitch . That you?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

The natural beauty of snow is enough for me. Winter enthusiasts have multiple reasons for their love of winter as do you of summer. I love all the seasons and would not trade it.

the cold just sucks...it really, really sucks. 30's...40's it's tolerable (a bit annoying when wind is involved) but days when it its in the teens or even 20's and we get into the single digits at night (or below-zero) with wind...just nothing fun or enjoyable about that at all. 

• Like 1

Just now, weatherwiz said:

the cold just sucks...it really, really sucks. 30's...40's it's tolerable (a bit annoying when wind is involved) but days when it its in the teens or even 20's and we get into the single digits at night (or below-zero) with wind...just nothing fun or enjoyable about that at all. 

I really like those 0 degree days with diamond dust falling, the snow crunching, the trees cracking as the sun warms the bark. Minus 30 degree windchill where your snot freezes and your lungs hurt aren't fun but neither is 95/75. Making the best of the worst though. Stay in AC or heat when it's intolerable.  Not like we have consistently bad outside conditions. Minor inconvenience 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I really like those 0 degree days with diamond dust falling, the snow crunching, the trees cracking as the sun warms the bark. Minus 30 degree windchill where your snot freezes and your lungs hurt aren't fun but neither is 95/75. Making the best of the worst though. Stay in AC or heat when it's intolerable.  Not like we have consistently bad outside conditions. Minor inconvenience 

Nothing beats first tracks early morning on freshly groomed trails.

16 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's a psycho-babble support group in here, period.

Deal with it -

look, september isn't a winter month, and even though winter is warming too it still snows, and even though the snow tends to melt faster than it used to it's still dark and gray out, 

• Haha 1