• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.

moneypitmike

27 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Two thoughts....New England averages what...6 tornadoes a year? There would represent a lot of capital spent for an unlikely outcome. 

Also....chasing in New England is impossible. You're only hope of seeing anything is to park yourself on a big lake, golf course, hill, airport or beach and watch as the storms go by. Then forget about ever catching up to them again.

I think more than that, but I don't know off the top of my head. Maybe I'm thinking more recent bias as we are able to detect them much more now.

But to your point, many of our tornadoes are quick spin ups and impossible to chase. 

Funny yeah... When I read about NE PA 'tornado research' mission, my first fire-off of internal snark monologue was how said mission never has to leave the parking lot - so it wouldn't in fact be much of a financial allocation to any such research.  heh. 'yeah, go ahead; knock yourselves out'

Seems like today's SVR potential is slightly less, especially up this way.  Or maybe it's more discrete.  Lots of clouds and some morning showers/t-storms that likely mean it's further SE when the line really gets going.  The simulated radar progs are a county or two SE with development of it today than they were last night.

2 hours ago, radarman said:

There are some decent spots to chase in the valley, and once every 10 years or so you might see a tornado.  Good news is that we're due...  

Poet’s Seat Tower in Greenfield is a great spot to watch severe roll in.  You can drive right up the hill to the tower so it’s very accessible on short notice and the views are killer looking West. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Poet’s Seat Tower in Greenfield is a great spot to watch severe roll in.  You can drive right up the hill to the tower so it’s very accessible on short notice and the views are killer looking West. 

In my 15+ years of watching the way storms evolve in the valley on the UMass radar, if I had to pick one single spot for a generic chase it would probably be Turners Falls airport.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 6:56 PM, Wentzadelphia said:

I thought this was a famous “surprise” snowstorm 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inquirer.com/news/blizzard-presidents-day-philadelphia-washington-atlantic-city-20190218.html%3foutputType=amp

Grew up in Philly, born 86, Blizzard of 83 is one I wish I got to experience first hand, any memories from that one? 

It wasn't a total surprise, but it did overperform.  The year before we had The Blizzard of '78 with 16 inches...for Dover DE those were the 2 biggest storms of my childhood.  In 1983 I was at the University of Florida.  But when I came back to Philly I got to experience the all time biggie in 96, which shut down Center City like no other storm.  2003 was great with 18" and then a lot of sleet (they switched the forecast for up to 28" in the city and then the sleet started lol).  Other goodies:  around a foot in Jan 1987 in a storm that was forecasted 1-3 but then on the early morning accuweather update (with Elliot Abrams) he said that the low was now going insider of Hatteras so we would get 8-12.  2005 had a very good one that was epic up in New England.  Oh, and the winter of 93-94 was unparalled with ice.  Constant ice storms, and snows that would change to ice.  Never saw ice buildup like that in a city.  BTW the pic in my profile is my car, on 12th near Pine St in Jan 96.  I stuck my glove to look like it was coming out of the window.  That night that the big blizzard ended, it cleared out and every st. in CC was clogged with cars.  The only traffic was on Broad and then down Market.   The streets were filled with people walking in almost 3 ft of snow and no cars anywhere.  I had my dog off the leash just walking through the city.  It was kinda magical tbh, what with the glistening clean snow and really bright startlit skies.