• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.

moneypitmike

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Yes Dave, All those factors play into trying to keep pool temps up, The gains you have during the day are lost by the nights in the 40's plus a few more degrees in the wrong direction.

Even nights in the 50s are killer for pools. My aunt/uncle live like 3 min from us with an in-ground pool and they are pretty much done. Pool was freezing a week ago. Unless you have sun all day long, the nights are just too much of a losing battle. Their neighborhood is in a low lying area too which makes it worse....they radiate like mad.

I feel like you'd need a yard that doesn't radiate well plus tons of sun to keep the pool going through September.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Even nights in the 50s are killer for pools. My aunt/uncle live like 3 min from us with an in-ground pool and they are pretty much done. Pool was freezing a week ago. Unless you have sun all day long, the nights are just too much of a losing battle. Their neighborhood is in a low lying area too which makes it worse....they radiate like mad.

I feel like you'd need a yard that doesn't radiate well plus tons of sun to keep the pool going through September.

Yes, The night time temps are the real villain here, Its just not worth the effort to try to maintain warmer pool temps so it can be used for all the reasons stated.

28 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Fall is one of the best times of year, This month so far has had several nights in the 40's here, As expected, Still a few weeks away,  But looking for the first frost of the fall season.

45.8° for a low this morning.  Snowmobile shows are my marker for moving into the cold season.  I'll be at Epping, NH for the grass drags and Augusta for the Maine show again.  Looking forward to it after a year off.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

45.8° for a low this morning.  Snowmobile shows are my marker for moving into the cold season.  I'll be at Epping, NH for the grass drags and Augusta for the Maine show again.  Looking forward to it after a year off.

Fall harvest is the signal for me, And everything else follows.

:damage:

The approaching front will be a focusing mechanism
for lift which will make thunderstorms a pretty sure bet as the
front moves through. The combination of instability, shear, and
lift is right for the development of severe thunderstorms.
Supercells with all severe weather types (hail, winds, and
tornadoes) are possible within the warm sector ahead of the
front on Wednesday, while the forcing along the front will
likely produce more widespread and linear thunderstorms as it
moves through. This would focus the severe weather threat more
toward damaging winds, and for this reason we have included
damaging winds in the forecast. Again, broader severe weather
threats are possible, including heavy rainfall and possible
flash flooding, however the wind threat has the greatest
confidence at this point.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

There are two variables that play in there:

A, heat source and sink thermodynamics. 

B, source of heating

Bottom line, uptake of solar heating cannot fall below the rate of the black-body radiative hemorrhaging. 

A, if the surrounding medium's heat sink is deepening, like lowering DPs ... seeya later warmth. A warmer DP sounding medium naturally means a shallower sink, the water doesn't hemorrhage as much.

There probably is some critical angle the sun falls beneath where it doesn't matter, and the pool will cool either way.  But a warmer DP early autumn may slow that some.  

33 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Should be a corridor of potential :damage: from like Albany to lakes region and E-NE of there tomorrow aftn. Maybe up to Stowe too, although depends on front timing.

Yeah looks like just SE of here it starts to really ramp up.  The composite radar progs really go nuts between like GFL/ALB to LEB and ENE to between LCI/BML.

If we could slow the front down to like 4pm instead of 1-2pm here, that would work too.