• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.

moneypitmike

24 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don’t think they’d run anywhere close to 5F too cold year-round. They’d fix that pretty fast. The Euro ensembles used to have a slight warm bias actually (we’ve seen it in the summer a lot with the massive heat domes that don’t materialize) but I’m not sure on the official numbers now. 

Yeah my guess is that idea those charts run 5-8F too cold is hyperbole mixed in with not recognizing that a week or more out you’ll get changes.  Maybe it should be phrased more as they aren’t 5F too cold but more that models are under-estimating the heights and what comes with that in the day 7-10 range.

36 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah my guess is that idea those charts run 5-8F too cold is hyperbole mixed in with not recognizing that a week or more out you’ll get changes.  Maybe it should be phrased more as they aren’t 5F too cold but more that models are under-estimating the heights and what comes with that in the day 7-10 range.

You’re better off using pattern recognition. If I see 570 thicknesses and SW wind vectors at the surface. We are torched. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Endless pool season? Throw a solar cover on a few weeks  ago and you’d probably have decent pool temps. 

Yup. Some know some don't.  You would think after all the oaks taken down over the years in Eastern CT people would be lining up with flip flops and towels ready to take a dip......but ACATT 

• Weenie 1

When i had a pool it got closed weekend after labor day.  It was a round above ground pool similar to above.  This was in Hatfield, no trees within 500 feet, 8 to 10 hours of sun per day.  Its just not worth sitting in a cold small pool.  Only exception was i kept it open a week longer in 1997, was replacing my roof, and it was hot up there.

43 minutes ago, Brewbeer said:

When i had a pool it got closed weekend after labor day.  It was a round above ground pool similar to above.  This was in Hatfield, no trees within 500 feet, 8 to 10 hours of sun per day.  Its just not worth sitting in a cold small pool.  Only exception was i kept it open a week longer in 1997, was replacing my roof, and it was hot up there.

Yup. We surrounded by big white pines and with some fine local river swimming, it doesn't make sense to mess with a pool.  Just like with  XC skiing, pool recreation has good years and bad years.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We use a solar cover and it is a losing battle here.  Limited sun.  We hit 44F the other morning.   Lots of rain doesn’t help either.  

Yes Dave, All those factors play into trying to keep pool temps up, The gains you have during the day are lost by the nights in the 40's plus a few more degrees in the wrong direction.