• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.

moneypitmike

9 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Wxfella was smoking cirrus

I mean can't you just see it there?  haha..  That image just wants to write that -

10 pm 'teaser' by a young Bruce Schwoegler, " Twelve inches of snow with heavy blowing and drifting as winter storm warning with blizzard conditions set to unfold during the morning hours, furthering details at 11 -"

9 am, that satellite image.

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I mean can't you just write the novella there?  haha..

10 pm 'teaser' by a young Bruce Schwoegler, " Twelve inches of snow with heavy blowing and drifting as winter storm warning with blizzard conditions set to unfold during the morning hours, furthering details at 11 -"

9 am, that satellite image.

Schwoegler turns to colleagues “we’re gonna get whacked ...1-2 feet and higher in drifted and beware the “backlash” ..time to send Shelby Scott out to Worcester “

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

The October snow aspect has gotten way more frequent for whatever reason....though previously when we had October snow, it was pretty common to torch not long after. The October 1979 snowstorm was followed up mid 80s like 10 or 12 days later.

Maybe for SNE, especially skewed by the Octobomb.  That storm is the biggest single October snowfall (8.0") at the Farmington co-op but the 2010s total was 10.8" while the 1960s had 23.5".  ORH recorded 16.0" in 10/2011 but that was the 2010s total.  They did record 2.4" in 10/2009.  However, Octobers 1960-64 each had measurable snow for a total of 11.8".  (And that was the only October measurable from 1948 thru 1978.)  The 4 winters 60-61 thru 63-64 all finished AN for snow, averaging 85.5", while 64-65 was BN at 62.9".

59 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Maybe for SNE, especially skewed by the Octobomb.  That storm is the biggest single October snowfall (8.0") at the Farmington co-op but the 2010s total was 10.8" while the 1960s had 23.5".  ORH recorded 16.0" in 10/2011 but that was the 2010s total.  They did record 2.4" in 10/2009.  However, Octobers 1960-64 each had measurable snow for a total of 11.8".  (And that was the only October measurable from 1948 thru 1978.)  The 4 winters 60-61 thru 63-64 all finished AN for snow, averaging 85.5", while 64-65 was BN at 62.9".

Yeah I'm sure it is different up there. For ORH, after that 1960s blitz, they had a total of 2 measurable October snowfalls between 1964-1999. Then starting in 2000, they had 8 events (1 in 2000, 1 in 2002, 1 in 2003, 2 in 2009, 2 in 2011, and 1 in 2020)....and probably had one in 2005 that got measured as a trace, but that could have happened in previous years too so I won't count it.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Way OT but ... does anyone know?

This is the famed PD storm of 1979 ...

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GoDhoMAvY3c/TqzOfkjAeEI/AAAAAAAABkE/5puKqJmUtsY/w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu/1979%2BPresdents%2BDay%2BStorm.png

Was that ( say ...) forecasted originally to be a huge blizzard in SNE ?   Just looking at this picture seems to howl a story-line of bust that must have been so - it just looks like getting screwed!

I think it wasn’t forecasted too well in advance. But I remember distinctly an article in the Washington post or maybe the Philadelphia Inquirer from the forecaster he said he had seen the storm six days out because of the set up. I was in Dover Delaware in the jackpot zone with 25 inches. My favorite storm of childhood by far.  It was a very cold storm down in Delaware so probably there was a strong west base block that was very suppressive. That was a cold cold February in Delaware

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

I think it wasn’t forecasted too well in advance. But I remember distinctly an article in the Washington post or maybe the Philadelphia Inquirer from the forecaster he said he had seen the storm six days out because of the set up. I was in Dover Delaware in the jackpot zone with 25 inches. My favorite storm of childhood by far.  It was a very cold storm down in Delaware so probably there was a strong west base block that was very suppressive. That was a cold cold February in Delaware

Coldest of our 10 Februarys in Fort Kent, despite 1, 2, 24 and 28 being 15+ AN.  All we got was a few clouds from that storm on the 17th.  Feb. 10-17 averaged -4/-19 with max running -2 to -7, min -16 to -22, and the wind never quit the whole 8 days, peaking on 16 (-5/-16) and 17 (-7/-22).  Those 8 days ran 22° BN, peaking at 28° BN on the 17th.

2 hours ago, mahk_webstah said:

I thought this was a famous “surprise” snowstorm 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inquirer.com/news/blizzard-presidents-day-philadelphia-washington-atlantic-city-20190218.html%3foutputType=amp

Grew up in Philly, born 86, Blizzard of 83 is one I wish I got to experience first hand, any memories from that one? 

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Coldest of our 10 Februarys in Fort Kent, despite 1, 2, 24 and 28 being 15+ AN.  All we got was a few clouds from that storm on the 17th.  Feb. 10-17 averaged -4/-19 with max running -2 to -7, min -16 to -22, and the wind never quit the whole 8 days, peaking on 16 (-5/-16) and 17 (-7/-22).  Those 8 days ran 22° BN, peaking at 28° BN on the 17th.

Didn't we used to have a poster from fort kent? Or was that you?

• Confused 2