• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.

moneypitmike

11 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I wonder if their homes have retractable domes.  

But seriously … in today’s technological wonders, being as they are, how much would it really take to outfit a home with a dome that closes like a tiny version of a retractable roof at a baseball stadium … closes shut tighter ‘n bull’s ass at fly time. Shit a category 5 wind would be an enjoyable white noise for sleeping peacefully. 

My brother's house in Leland, NC (just inland from ILM) is engineered to withstand 130 mph wind.  Falling trees and flying objects remain a threat, so as Florence approached the family retreated to CHT.

57 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

EPS def looks warmer toward mid month...but seasonably cool before that. 

Above normal is nice though once well into Sept/Oct...back broken by then so a +10 day is fine. 

I agree ... For those into the seasonal progression aspect, this is a good take -

The idea of 'back broke'   Brian and I were discussing the subjectivity of it last week..   I sort of don't think of today as back-broken, *BUT* that is relative to previous climate ?  It's kind of backward/confusing...   

in 1990,  an 81 like today's high appears in reach, with sun on the equator side of the equinox, it's pretty darn warm and summery by that era back then.  ( also there is a want of breaking backs and getting on with winter, so - )

The DPs are lower, granted.  But it's too warm, but *maybe* it is how the back breaks in this modern time.  We broke the back ..but it isn't offering the cool complexion that is more typical of the previous climate.  What a headache Ha.   

That said, the hydrostatic heights are still well above 560 dm. So, despite the llv dry troposphere the whole troposphere is not autumn by the previous era, either.  But maybe it is/gonna be now/in the future.   

I remember in college, an 85 under a 564 dm column, in summer, was common back then.  And that was July/ ...early august. 

I think the trough getting hooked up with Ida "faux" broke the back so to speak.  The amplitude sort of cheated and delivered an air mass that frankly, reminded more of those cool times in July, when it was 66/58 and raining so often then... I dunno where I'm going. 

I wanna get on the other side of the mid month,  non-hydrostatic continental camel hump look out there.  After that, the back breaks ...maybe at the same time the season plunges - like an all at once.   If that mid month warm up breaks heat records, we didn't really break prior.  That'll probably be an opinion only owned by me .. buut  LOL 

I'm still believing we snow in October, or observe fantastic swings between snow supporting air mass and 70 or even 80 F, btw.  Again, due to the ongoing issue with seasonal prolapsing associated with sped up geostrophic velocities in the ambient hemisphere. That's been a recurring autumn aspect, regardless of ENSO or solar cycle or SETI getting signals and tinfoil hat weirdos talking to gods.  It's been triggering earlier and earlier than normal R-wave coherence.  Long words for, winter patterns kicking in ahead of schedule, as a consequence to the former.   

Today was certainly a top 10.

72/58

I spent the late morning and early afternoon pouring beer for bicyclists who did a bike tour of most of the Franklin County breweries.  The longest loop was 50+ miles and hit seven breweries, one of which is also a distillery.   God love em’, drinking beer over a 50mi bike loop. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I agree ... For those into the seasonal progression aspect, this is a good take -

The idea of 'back broke'   Brian and I were discussing the subjectivity of it last week..   I sort of don't think of today as back-broken, *BUT* that is relative to previous climate ?  It's kind of backward/confusing...   

in 1990,  an 81 like today's high appears in reach, with sun on the equator side of the equinox, it's pretty darn warm and summery by that era back then.  ( also there is a want of breaking backs and getting on with winter, so - )

The DPs are lower, granted.  But it's too warm, but *maybe* it is how the back breaks in this modern time.  We broke the back ..but it isn't offering the cool complexion that is more typical of the previous climate.  What a headache Ha.   

That said, the hydrostatic heights are still well above 560 dm. So, despite the llv dry troposphere the whole troposphere is not autumn by the previous era, either.  But maybe it is/gonna be now/in the future.   

I remember in college, an 85 under a 564 dm column, in summer, was common back then.  And that was July/ ...early august. 

I think the trough getting hooked up with Ida "faux" broke the back so to speak.  The amplitude sort of cheated and delivered an air mass that frankly, reminded more of those cool times in July, when it was 66/58 and raining so often then... I dunno where I'm going. 

I wanna get on the other side of the mid month,  non-hydrostatic continental camel hump look out there.  After that, the back breaks ...maybe at the same time the season plunges - like an all at once.   If that mid month warm up breaks heat records, we didn't really break prior.  That'll probably be an opinion only owned by me .. buut  LOL 

I'm still believing we snow in October, or observe fantastic swings between snow supporting air mass and 70 or even 80 F, btw.  Again, due to the ongoing issue with seasonal prolapsing associated with sped up geostrophic velocities in the ambient hemisphere. That's been a recurring autumn aspect, regardless of ENSO or solar cycle or SETI getting signals and tinfoil hat weirdos talking to gods.  It's been triggering earlier and earlier than normal R-wave coherence.  Long words for, winter patterns kicking in ahead of schedule, as a consequence to the former.   

Yeah the autumns are definitely warmer now (particularly early autumn). Especially compared to the late 1980s and early 1990s. There was a string of obscenely frigid autumns back then which were cold even relative to the 20th century climate.

The funny part is that we rarely ever got snow despite how cold some of those autumns were...lol. 

1 hour ago, masonwoods said:

I was up Ammo and down Jewel today and I commented to my wife that there didn’t seem to be any color change at all.

Lol I guess it's all relative to expectations but when you live here the whole time the color change is definitely noticeable and happening pretty fast. But also not that surprising, we are generally about 4-5 weeks from peak

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, alex said:

Lol I guess it's all relative to expectations but when you live here the whole time the color change is definitely noticeable and happening pretty fast. But also not that surprising, we are generally about 4-5 weeks from peak

I’ve noticed it subtly as well, nothing that would ever show up in a photo but yellowish green and some species is going more towards purple than green.

I don’t think any normal human would call it “color change” though… just a subtle hint that something is in the works from the deep dark green of mid-summer.

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah the autumns are definitely warmer now (particularly early autumn). Especially compared to the late 1980s and early 1990s. There was a string of obscenely frigid autumns back then which were cold even relative to the 20th century climate.

The funny part is that we rarely ever got snow despite how cold some of those autumns were...lol. 

Not sure if this is the place for this but…

I vividly remember tracking lake effect streamers in October hoping they would clear the berkshires …had to be like 10, so mid 90’s. Like that was how we got our first snow- every year. I remember rushing home from school to get football games organized in the snow. My question is- am I losing it or have things changed?