• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.

moneypitmike

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Back broken with Ida.

Gonna feel like fall for the foreseeable future. Maybe a brief muggier day on Sunday? Otherwise that's a lot of football weather on the Euro.

GFS tries to rebuild some heat toward mid-month but that is out in clown range.

38 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Mansfield is 48F and MWN is 37F at noon.

Pretty sure these are the coldest 12pm temps in like months.  I know Mansfield hasn’t been sub-50F in an afternoon since like early June maybe?  July 3rd was 50-52F.

July 31? I know MWN was mid/upper 30s. Not sure about Mansfield.

edit...looks like Mansfield was warmer into the 50s

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

July 31? I know MWN was mid/upper 30s. Not sure about Mansfield.

edit...looks like Mansfield was warmer into the 50s

Yeah I've noticed the MMNV1 station seemed to run a bit warmer in sunshine this summer... afternoon temps seemed sometime to possibly be a tick or two warm, especially in sunshine.  I don't know if the sensor is getting some exposure to sun or rocks warming or something.  Seems fine in precipitation, nighttime and clouds.

Either way, I think this is the coldest it's been in quite a while up there as I mostly remember low/mid 50s on the colder days this summer.

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I've noticed the MMNV1 station seemed to run a bit warmer in sunshine this summer... afternoon temps seemed sometime to possibly be a tick or two warm, especially in sunshine.  I don't know if the sensor is getting some exposure to sun or rocks warming or something.  Seems fine in precipitation, nighttime and clouds.

Either way, I think this is the coldest it's been in quite a while up there as I mostly remember low/mid 50s on the colder days this summer.

Some missing data from MADIS and it's tough to get accurate error values from a summit, but it seems it has trended warmer more recently.

mansfield.png

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Some missing data from MADIS and it's tough to get accurate error values from a summit, but it seems it has trended warmer more recently.

mansfield.png

Yeah I believe since the COOP went automated years ago I think it’s always been a tick warmer than the old housed thermometer when the summit was staffed… but this summer there has been a daytime difference between our ski area Gondola top and the summit.  Gondi top is always a few degrees cooler daytime.  Early morning they seem to match but like 12pm-5pm they are different.

If I’m looking at that MADIS correctly, it looks like it runs warmer in the summer and then fixes itself more in the winter.  That’s sort of matches my gut feeling that peak solar it seems to run warm.