• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Windspeed

1 hour ago, canderson said:

NOLA will be without power for 3+ weeks and water for at least a week ... that's pretty dire still. 

Its actually what should have been expected by anyone there.

The writing was on the wall days before the storm arrived that there was a high likelihood of a catastrophic failure to the power grid.  

1 hour ago, Windspeed said:

I agree. And let me be clear, when I was referring to New Orleans proper, I was considering direct deaths from drownings, infrastructure collapse, damage, etc., by the hurricane during the event. But yes, clearly there will be an indirect incapacitated aspect for a large populace in the coming weeks that could also lead to casualties and suffering.

Indirect deaths are what Maria and Katrina were best at producing. I am not sure “direct” deaths is a meaningful thing. 

No matter the situation that New Orleans is currently in, you simply cannot argue that it wouldn’t be worse had the storm moved 10 miles to the right.   Yes they got hit hard, but they could have gotten hit harder.  What’s wrong with stating this?

No matter the situation that New Orleans is currently in, you simply cannot argue that it wouldn’t be worse had the storm moved 10 miles to the right.   Yes they got hit hard, but they could have gotten hit harder.  What’s wrong with stating this?

There is nothing wrong with that statement as it is the truth.

6 hours ago, sojitodd said:

Yeah this one is being retired for sure. You gotta admit that "Ida" just seemed like an old fashioned badass name for a hurricane and it lived up to the name.  I wonder what the "I" replacement name is-I hope it is not lame.

*I just looked it up...I hope it was wrong...it said the replacement name is "Izzy". ???

*huh..."I" storms have had the most names retired of any letter.

Yeah we’re starting to get into names no one ever new existed territory with I storms

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tezeta said:

Indirect deaths are what Maria and Katrina were best at producing. I am not sure “direct” deaths is a meaningful thing. 

According to a study i found, 386 deaths were directly attributed to Katrina’s storm surge, in Louisiana specifically. So it would probably be around 400-500 if you include other states… With Maria 1/10th was attributed directly to the hurricane so around 300. I believe that still makes them the worst modern US hurricanes though even without indirect deaths. 

edit: Agnes is the only other US storm i found with over 100 direct deaths since 1970

35 minutes ago, Intensewind002 said:

edit: Agnes is the only other US storm i found with over 100 direct deaths since 1970

Highest storm surge I ever saw in person and was in St. Pete, FL. I could maybe say that was the beginning of my storm passion. But there was some storm in Charleston SC when I was 6 or 7 (1966 or 67) that went by and was exciting. Just an outer band I guess. But I remember our lawn furniture flying away and our backyard becoming a lake, trees down, etc.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, user13 said:

How are people going to get their bitcoin?

This is one of the things that always make me laugh about bitcoin die hards. They are like "in a disaster you will wish you had it."  Umm what?  How does that work exactly? 

To be fair I'm invested in bitcoin but the thought that it's useful in a situation like this or Afghanistan as I've heard many say this week is laughable. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have got a confession.

I know I am 100% safe from hurricanes here in south central Texas.

I know for a fact that I will never actually be in a hurricane as long as I stay in my safe city, Buda, Texas.

The confession I have is that I am absolutely ADDICTED to hurricane chaser YouTube vids. I adore Hurricane Matthew in 2018. Mexico City, I love the violence and the ROAR of that beautiful wind!  I love the chaser having to DRIVE thru the STORM SURGE! WHAT A FRACKIN' RUSH!!!!!!!!

I am so safe here. I can kick back and watch those vids in complete safety, and I absolutely yearn for more and more and more and more hurricane videos and secretly hope for a scary indomitable 200 mph sustained Gulf Coast Hurricane, because I know those highly addicted storm chasers will get me my prized hurricane vid, in which I'll get to see STORM SURGE! All from the safety and comfort of my favorite kick-back chair! I am so blessed! Nothing can possibly get to me in the landlocked fastness of Central Texas!

The best hurricane of all would be a monster 230 mph Cat 5 with gusts to 310mph behemoth slow mover, buzzsawing hell out of the Coast while storm chasers go completely CRAZY about it as they position and reposition themselves, get out of their well-equipped storm chase vehicles and get all excited and gesticulate at the fast moving threatening black clouds as the cameras are rollin' and I get to enjoy so many videos for all-time! It slowly moves inland then stalls and is so damned slow about decaying lol, and feet of fresh rain pile up while I enjoy the entire thing! Its amazing the way chasers will recall past storms, reciting many different years that 'Canes hit a location! Its very interesting!

Harvey was so fun! All that deep flooding! People frantically twittering for help while the water rose VISIBLY in kitchens! I absolutely adore global warming, love the oceans full of fervent heat! Imagine the sea level rise! Imagine entire coastal cities having to be relocated! Imagine hurricanes so bad that 50 foot storm surge becomes routine! Imagine the excitement of 4 foot rains becoming routine!

Man I loved that Hurricane Michael Mexico City video so much! I have happily watched it hundreds of times! I guess I am now the Hurricane Man, instead of the snow shoveling man.

I leave you with this beautiful video, my personal favorite.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

16 minutes ago, Jebman said:

I have got a confession.

I know for a fact that I will never actually be in a hurricane as long as I stay in my safe city, Buda, Texas.

The confession I have is that I am absolutely ADDICTED to hurricane chaser YouTube vids. I adore Hurricane Matthew in 2018. Mexico City, I love the violence and the ROAR of that beautiful wind!  I love the chaser having to DRIVE thru the STORM SURGE! WHAT A FRACKIN' RUSH!!!!!!!!

I am so safe here. I can kick back and watch those vids in complete safety, and I absolutely yearn for more and more and more and more hurricane videos and secretly hope for a scary indomitable 200 mph sustained Gulf Coast Hurricane, because I know those highly addicted storm chasers will get me my prized hurricane vid, in which I'll get to see STORM SURGE! All from the safety and comfort of my favorite kick-back chair! I am so blessed! Nothing can possibly get to me in the landlocked fastness of Central Texas!

The best hurricane of all would be a monster 230 mph Cat 5 with gusts to 310mph behemoth slow mover, buzzsawing hell out of the Coast while storm chasers go completely CRAZY about it as they position and reposition themselves, get out of their well-equipped storm chase vehicles and get all excited and gesticulate at the fast moving threatening black clouds as the cameras are rollin' and I get to enjoy so many videos for all-time! It slowly moves inland then stalls and is so damned slow about decaying lol, and feet of fresh rain pile up while I enjoy the entire thing! 

Harvey was so fun! All that deep flooding! People frantically twittering for help while the water rose VISIBLY in kitchens! I absolutely adore global warming, love the oceans full of fervent heat! Imagine the sea level rise! Imagine entire coastal cities having to be relocated! Imagine hurricanes so bad that 50 foot storm surge becomes routine! Imagine the excitement of 4 foot rains becoming routine!

Man I loved that Hurricane Michael Mexico City video so much! I have happily watched it hundreds of times! I guess I am now the Hurricane Man, instead of the snow shoveling man.

I kinda feel this tbh

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tezeta said:

I kinda feel this tbh

You gotta admit the power, the ROAR, the incredible energy of a well developed Cane! Especially when you are safe about 769 feet above sea level LOL like me! I mean, I'm crazy about hurricanes but I dont place myself in danger lol!

Its so damned addictive! I'm addicted and I know I'm addicted!

Check THIS one out! Wow man, LIVE 28 foot storm surge! Wow wow!

3 hours ago, LawdogGRNJ said:

What are the odds that Ida strengthens, even just a little, when it hits the Atlantic? The regions it will be passing through are far wetter than normal and the LLC seems to be holding it together.

It’s not going regain tropical characteristics but it will get a baroclynic boost. Regardless there are going to be flooding issues in the mid Atlantic. We had 7” of rain in NYC from Henri last week and another 2” since then. 6 more inches in a short time will cause major flash flooding 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jebman said:

I have got a confession.

The best hurricane of all would be a monster 230 mph Cat 5 with gusts to 310mph behemoth slow mover, buzzsawing hell out of the Coast while storm chasers go completely CRAZY about it as they position and reposition themselves, get out of their well-equipped storm chase vehicles and get all excited and gesticulate at the fast moving threatening black clouds as the cameras are rollin' and I get to enjoy so many videos for all-time! It slowly moves inland then stalls and is so damned slow about decaying lol, and feet of fresh rain pile up while I enjoy the entire thing! Its amazing the way chasers will recall past storms, reciting many different years that 'Canes hit a location! Its very interesting!

Be sure to watch some tsunami videos on YouTube too. ;)

6 hours ago, Prospero said:

Be sure to watch some tsunami videos on YouTube too. ;)

I already love the March 2011 vids about Japan, and especially the Christmas 2004 videos about the incredible Thailand tsunami!

Kesennuma tsunami, that went right up the Okawa River! The power of that black water! Wow wow wow wow! What can I say?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jebman said:

I already love the March 2011 vids about Japan, and especially the Christmas 2004 videos about the incredible Thailand tsunami!

Kesennuma tsunami, that went right up the Okawa River! The power of that black water! Wow wow wow wow! What can I say?

When I am bored and my wife is snoozing in front of the TV in her easy chair, I grab the remote and play tsunami videos. I have heard that if a major tsunami came to Florida, like if a big part of a particular island off of African fell into the ocean, it could wipe out many cities and towns in Florida. Not a good thought, evacuation would be impossible.

4 minutes ago, Jebman said:

I dont think FL will ever have a tsunami.

Here is another good video, some surge in this one during Hurricane Delta, tho it might be freshwater flooding

Water is amazing.

Just noticed in your signature:

"Only in northern VA can you get 12 inches of snow then 2 days later hit 57 degrees. DAMN ! Then Moderate RAIN that night. DAMN DAMN !!"

You should be in Denver or Colorado Springs where it can in the 70's early in the day, get 3 ft of snow in the late afternoon and evening, be near 10 degrees in the morning. Then be back in the 70's two days later. ;)

2 hours ago, Prospero said:

Water is amazing.

Just noticed in your signature:

"Only in northern VA can you get 12 inches of snow then 2 days later hit 57 degrees. DAMN ! Then Moderate RAIN that night. DAMN DAMN !!"

You should be in Denver or Colorado Springs where it can in the 70's early in the day, get 3 ft of snow in the late afternoon and evening, be near 10 degrees in the morning. Then be back in the 70's two days later. ;)

I have heard of their wild temperature swings. I was upset about the mild weather because all I ever wanted, was the snow we got then more snow on top of it!

2 hours ago, Prospero said:

If an asteroid splashes into the Gulf of Mexico, I can be to the top of the Skyway bridge in 15 minutes and take live video until it gets washed away, and a helicopter swings by and miraculously scoops you alive off the Skyway. Then someone in Texas can watch it over and over on YouTube... Then we can both watch it over and over....

FIXED.

So the media narrative is that Hurricane Ida is a result of climate change. I have been a hurricane/climate change skeptic for decades. I remember Dr. William Gray telling me at a 2005 Hurricane Conference that climate change was a "red herring" and that natural multi-decade cycles caused more hurricanes. So, I don't want to be "anti-science" and ignore all the voices, but when the late, great Dr. Gray himself told me it was not the result of climate change, I find myself skeptical.

I think a few factors are at work:

1. Better technology to name storms. Even in 2001, we didn't name sub-tropical storms, and half of these weak "Julian" type storms would never be named. I remember back in 1999, there was an obvious tropical storm that developed between Hurricane Floyd and Hurricane Gert, and it was never named and quickly dissipated. When you have weather enthusiasts posting close-up visible loops of a naked swirl with a popcorn thunderstorm over it, it becomes much easier to spot and classify.

2. The media. In the post-Katrina world, CNN does non-stop coverage of insignificant non-US tropical systems. Go back to when I was a teen, circa 2000, even a Cat 4 Hurricane like Hurricane Keith near Belize only got a few short mentions on a network like CNN, and even The Weather Channel didn't go into their "super graphics special report" coverage for it, since it was a non-US storm. In a post-Katrina world, every wave gets mentioned, even on mainstream news networks.

3. Social media. How many videos of this flooding would we be seeing if the year was 2001? Remember, even twenty years ago, nobody had smart phones. (Imagine the horror of people live-streaming from the World Trade Center). Everyone having a camera today creates a world where every funnel cloud, every wave, every weather event can be seen by millions all over twitter and facebook within seconds. That's great for weather enthusiasts, but it creates a perception of a NEW constant severe weather climate, when it actuality, it was always there. It was just the social media that wasn't.

4. Population growth. I'm stunned (and uncomfortable TBH) about the massive population explosions along the coastlines. The populations have growth enormously over recent years. I don't mean from 1950 to now...I mean from 2000 to now. It's insane the amount of growth. More growth equals more people and property to feel the wrath of weather.