• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Windspeed

8 minutes ago, Tezeta said:

It’s a complex system. Yes it has been revamped but why anyone would 100% trust any piece of infrastructure in America of all places is just beyond me. 

Also it’s not just about levees. What if a chemical plant blows 2 hours from now? There’s lots of catastrophes that can still happen. 

In America of all places? Wtf? 

Well New Orleans won’t feel the worst of the storm until tonight. 

But we have to remember New Orleans originally fared okay Katrina albeit lot of damage. It was the levees breaking that really made the disaster it became.    Had they held, Katrina while it would be still remembered would not be remembered the way it is today.  catastrophe. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wmsptwx said:

Lol why am I getting weenied for sharing opinion/somewhat good news in the banter thread. I’m leaving actual thread for experts.

It has a lot to do with you downplaying this constantly…first you said it wouldn’t get below 960, now you are claims NOLA is out of the woods. 

I don’t like weenies that root for destruction but what you’re doing is the opposite end of the spectrum. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Pew...will someone please throw out those "won't get there" posts from yesterday? They're stinkin' up the joint...lol

There are a couple embarrassing predictions in the forecast thread…though a weenie I give a pass too but not a pro. 

11 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

As of 545pm east time I still have not seen any storm chaser video that is showing true high end Cat 3 conditions.  I am just comparing some of the Youtube videos of past major storms.  Maybe no ones position if directly under the worst of the eyewall.  Reed Timmers video in Houma definitely has not shown true near white out conditions as we saw many times with Michael.  Ida's radar and satellite presentation is so impressive so chasers must be just missing the inner eyewall.

Didn’t take long lol.

South Louisiana is unnatural, and while the reasons were good, the unexpected affects, bad.  The Mississippi changes its main channel to the Gulf every few hundred years.  It would have about a century ago but they built a structure to limit flow down the Atchafalaya, where the river was about to switch to, from the main channel to protect shipping in BTR and MSY/NOLA.  They also build many flood levees.  Now each year, during Spring rain and snowmelt, sediment gets carried to the very tip of the river to extend the delta, and soft sediment compacting a cm or more a year are not getting new sediment.  Reduced annual flow, but at a cost.  Similar for Galliano and Golden Meadow, Bayou Lafourche is a distributary of the Mississippi, a flood control structure was built to stop annual floods along the bayou.  Those towns don't flood anymore, which means new sediment doesn't keep ground levels even as the soft sediment beneath compacts.  

Oil companies built canals in the swamplands to get drilling barges in, that messed up the fresh water/sea water mix.  The nutria, brought for fur, eats marsh grasses, and the logical predator to keep them in check, the alligator, doesn't seem to have a taste for nutria.    A lot of 'land' South of NOLA is open water, not even swamp.  One reason Ida is slow to spin down just inland.