• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Windspeed

1 minute ago, brentrich said:

Hurricane Katrina cost of damage was $170 billion. Do you think IDA will be much higher than that? 

even adjusted for inflation that seems very unlikely although i'm sure the infrastructure at Port Fourchon is quite expensive.  one wonders how the area's infrastructure has been hardened since Katrina.

look, Katrina destroyed New Orleans, a major American city, and Ida simply isn't taking that kind of path.  we'll see though.

2 minutes ago, brentrich said:

Hurricane Katrina cost of damage was $170 billion. Do you think IDA will be much higher than that? 

not close, more than 50% of that was due to the flood walls failing. Plus Katrina was a very large hurricane. Shot in the dark number would be similar to Laura last year.

1 minute ago, dan11295 said:

not close, more than 50% of that was due to the flood walls failing. Plus Katrina was a very large hurricane. Shot in the dark number would be similar to Laura last year.

This is extremely similar to Laura!! And agreed the system will stand up to this, especially missing eye wall.

• Weenie 4

1 minute ago, Wmsptwx said:

Lol why am I getting weenied for sharing opinion/somewhat good news in the banter thread. I’m leaving actual thread for experts.

Because you are talking out your ass and sounding like the people who declared NO was spared by Katrina. Things could still fail. They probably won’t but you’re victory lapping already. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

Katrina was a semi-man made disaster. This will actually be worse for a lot of areas in SE LA than Katrina was, meteorological speaking. The surge in NOLA will actually probably end up similar. The thing that's different is the levees. 

It’s a complex system. Yes it has been revamped but why anyone would 100% trust any piece of infrastructure in America of all places is just beyond me. 

Also it’s not just about levees. What if a chemical plant blows 2 hours from now? There’s lots of catastrophes that can still happen. 

Just now, Tezeta said:

It’s a complex system. Yes it has been revamped but why anyone would 100% trust any piece of infrastructure in America of all places is just beyond me. 

Also it’s not just about levees. What if a chemical plant blows 2 hours from now? There’s lots of catastrophes that can still happen. 

Oh sure. I'm just saying that from what we've seen today, I think they'll be alright. Am I not allowed to give an opinion on it? 

2 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Oh sure. I'm just saying that from what we've seen today, I think they'll be alright. Am I not allowed to give an opinion on it? 

Nope lol, we have to make pretend that New Orleans is going to be waterworld after missing eye wall and having massively upgraded levee system.

• Weenie 1